home

Author Topic: Grand Battle 10k: Warriors of Chaos Tactical Thread  (Read 13961 times)

Offline zifnab0

• Members
Re: Grand Battle 10k: Warriors of Chaos Tactical Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2013, 01:07:03 AM »
Initial deployment thoughts.

I stacked the center with the Warriors and Chosen and left the right flank to Throgg, the Chimeras, and a bunch of warhounds.  The left is our heavy cavalry - knights, skullcrushers, and Daemon Prince.  The Hellstriders and Marauders are set up to clear chaff in front of the warriors and Chariots.

Now that I work through it, I'm thinking it's not an optimal deployment.  Switching the right and left might be better.

We know that the altar (top left), 2 central towers, and bottom-right village will be the primary objectives.

Empire has cheap infantry and their buff wagons scale well, so we should expect at least 4 blocks and at least 2 of each wizard wagon (+war altar).  I also expect at least some medium units of knights (10-15); I don't think we can exclude a horde of Inner Circle Knights.

I expect two big blocks of infantry (50-60 strong) on each side of the river with buff wagons behind, probably a war altar on one side or the other.  Their heavy cavalry will probably be on the right where there is more room to maneuver.  The woods on the left could get annoying for cavalry.

The center seems the obvious place to deploy their artillery, and we can expect at least 4 cannons and 2 hellblasters.  Likely 2 steam tanks as well.  They might also choose to spread out their artillery since the board is so big.  I think our Chimeras and Hellstriders will be tasked with getting behind their lines to hit the artillery ASAP.

Some initial thoughts, waiting for the actual objectives from Commandant.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »
1: In order to ensure the swift movement of the horde Archaon is interested in ensuring that his forces are not cut off from each other.   Therefore both the crossings over the river become chaos objectives.   They count as claimed if a chaos unit is garrisoning them

2: The death of the Empire General is a further chaos objective.

3: The chaos fear little but they do fear some things.   Should the Empire arrive with any Steam Tanks the complete destruction of all steam tanks is a chaos objective.  To destroy such examples of Imperial technology would no doubt be terrible for Imperial moral.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »

We know that the altar (top left), 2 central towers, and bottom-right village will be the primary objectives.

A few thoughts-  with so many objectives, I think we concentrate on a bundle of them that we can secure-  instead of trying to hold everything on the board.

So when I look at the easiest objectives to ignore-  it would have to be either the altar top left or the village far right.  The two central towers are near the only Chaos specific objective that is land-based-  the bridge.  So we need to secure the towers, squash the Empire near the bridge, and take it too.  Since the river is in our way, this will likely be a two-pronged attack with one force on each side of the river.

So that leaves a third force we could create-  does it hold the altar or push to the village?  The simplest answer is to hold the altar because it is on our side.  But because we are Chaos, I think we could hold it simply by destroying every Empire unit on that side of the river as we push to the bridge.

So my recommendation is:

--Our center army rolls towards the towers and the bridge, with the bulk of the main force on the east side of the river to hold off the Empire coming from the east
--Our heavy hitting shock troops start in the west, swoop around the left flank, destroying all Empire units as it pushes east to the bridge.
--We put token forces in the far east just to harass, protect the flank of the main force, etc. 
--My Vanguard can be spread out anywhere, depending on where you need speed, diverting or Warmachine hunting
--I think killing the Empire General is probably doable
--I think destroying all the Steam Tanks would be a bonus, but is going to be difficult, and shouldn't distract us from completing our other missions

:::cheers:::
HHG
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »
Send me a PM with your email address if you want the BC file.

I'm thinking we put most of Rothgar on the west, Krokz in the center, and HHG in the east.  HHG can keep them occupied in the east and use the Hellstriders to clear chaff and go warmachine hunting.

Rothgar should be able to smash whatever they bring up to defend their left flank and meet Krokz in the center.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2013, 12:54:53 AM »
Good luck men, looking forward to the Carnage!
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
My suggestions:
 Troll horde and Throgg should be on monster side of center. Throgg providing Ld to monster side for Chimeras (DP and Skulls are more west). Then warriors and chosens toward the center. Hellcannons on center/slaanesh side should be ok, they can take care of themselves and threaten our center flank at the same time.
 Bus formation for infantry and hounds left/between/right of them. All as much forward as possible. Hounds will move forward and make room for potential horde formation if needed. Archaon in Chosens, BSB in Warriors.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:58:06 AM by Krokz »

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »

(click for bigger image)

Thoughts?  I put Throgg and the trolls on the west with the Chimera.  The Warriors and Chosen make a strong center with some cavalry support between the Warriors and Trolls.

The Chariots are in the east-center and will move forward to engage their center while the Hellstriders on the east hits their flank.  The East has a couple units of Skullcrushers to make it a little harder.  The Hellstriders have a marauder screen.

Changes welcome

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
Magic Spells

Demon Prince [L4 death]

Roll: 5,6,6,6

Spells:
The purple Sun of Xereus
The fate of Bjuna
The general may choose 2 of the remaining spells.

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (L4 Metal)

Roll: 6,6,4,2

Spells:
Gehenna's Golden Hounds
Final Transmutation
Enchanted Blades of Aiban
The general may choose one spell

Chaos Sorcerer (L2 Shadow)

Roll: 4,2,1

Spells:
Steed of Shadows
The Enfeebling foe
The Penumbral Pendulum

Of course any spell may be switched for the Signature spell if the general so decides.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:09:33 PM by commandant »

• Members
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »
Chaos Shadow Sorc has 3 spells.  Please roll one more for us.
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »
Done, where does he get his third spell from?

• Members
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »

Done, where does he get his third spell from?

Arcane familiar

• Members
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
What do you think about this Chaos?

Demon Prince (L4 death)
Spirit Leech
Soulblight
Fate of Bjuna
Purple Sun of Xereus

Chaos Sorcerer Lord (L4 Metal)
Searing Doom
Enchanted Blades of Aiban
Glittering Robe
Final Transmutation

Chaos Sorcerer (L2 Shadow+Arcane)
Miasma
Enfeebling foe
Penumbral Pendulum

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2013, 12:36:22 AM »
No problem with that selection.  I think those are all good spells.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:05 AM »
I think those are all good spells.
Agree.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »
Vanguard ideas?

• Members
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2013, 01:41:22 AM »
Do we have to Vanguard before we see the final layout?

If so, probably only worthwhile in cases where we get out if the way of slower units.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »
Commandant posted this in the main thread:

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2013, 04:55:39 PM »
The Eye of the Gods roll -

Chosen of Chaos

6, 4, 4, 6

Chosen Knights of Chaos

4, 3, 6, 1

Do the warriors of chaos have to roll on this table?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »
Only the Chosen get to roll, not the Knights or Warriors.  If a champion or character wins a challenge they will roll themselves.  Throgg may get to roll if he passes a ward save and the Warshrine has a spell that can cause us to roll (d3 characters or champions within 12", IIRC).

Our options for the chosen are:

8 - +1 Initiative

10 - +1 Strength

12 - Free Daemon Prince

I was kind of hoping for +1 T, armor or ward save.  We're already S4 (5 with Halberds) and I5.  I say we go for a Daemon Prince.  Any objections?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 05:37:33 PM by zifnab0 »

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2013, 07:43:26 PM »
It's Empire State Troops, take the Prince!
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2013, 10:13:55 PM »
Well you have to make a Ld8 roll with no re-rolls. That is 72% chance to get a Daemon prince or 28% to get nothing. There are a lot of Chosens there ... If there is no enemy armor nearby I would go DP :)

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
Well you have to make a Ld8 roll with no re-rolls. That is 72% chance to get a Daemon prince or 28% to get nothing.

And by "nothing" you mean "stubborn."

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »
Leadership test passed, does this mean that unit doesn't have a champion anymore?

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
Leadership test passed, does this mean that unit doesn't have a champion anymore?

The champion is removed as a casualty and a Daemon Prince is placed within 6" and 1" from friendly units.

The DP has all the equipment that the champion had - Chaos Armor, Halberd - and is a Daemon Prince of Nurgle since the champion had MoN.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
Grand, where do you want him, so I can update the map.