home

Author Topic: Grand Muster of the Empire Provinces Assembled (Latest: New Project)  (Read 24310 times)

Offline errantgamer

• Members
  • The Old World rides again!
Hi all,

I am continually amazed by the effort and talent of posts people make here, so without trying to make myself seem super hard-working or talented, I thought it was about time I contributed my own figures to the communal pool. Dipping a red-and-blue-clad toe in the waters of the Reik, so to speak...

If the title had not let you onto the secret, I am collecting an Altdorf army. I have far, far more figures unpainted than painted -- but perhaps posting some pictures (and of course delicious fluff) will give me the motivation to change that.

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:30:29 PM by errantgamer »

Offline errantgamer

• Members
Re: Grand Muster of Altdorf -- The army of a procrastinator
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »
Here is the overarching fluff for my army.

The Westgate of Altdorf is an imposing stone construction located, unsurprisingly, at the westmost point of the Capital. As a possible entrance to the city and the first line of defense against a dedicated siege, the Emperor has appointed it with a permanent garrison. Located within the towers and gatehouse are spacious military barracks, and several cannon are mounted at the highest points.

Those who enter the Imperial Capital here, or through the Northgate, are liable for a tax; each person, wagon or horse entering the city is levied 1 gold crown per leg.  A fair number of travellers actually have papers or medallions that exempt them from the duty, including priests and agents of recognised cults, members of certain Altdorf guilds, nobility, licensed coaching lines including their passengers, and any person granted special privilege in the name of the Emperor. 

A team of eight to ten guards from the garrison enforce the law as well as collect any illegal weapons and armour.  Generally, visitors are only allowed one hand weapon and dagger. All else is confiscated, unless the individual has specific authorisation given by the proper city authority.  Those who possess such are given a receipt for their weapons, which they can collect once they leave the city.

As of 2522, the Commander of the Westgate is Grand Marshal von Breihaupt. von Breihaupt is a capable and talented man and, as a Grand Marshal of the Empire, may call upon any and all military assets he requires in pursuit of his duties to the realm. Whilst barracked in the Westgate, he and his men are not tied to it with a steel chain; von Breihaupt has, and will again, lead armies out of Altdorf to relieve or aid the other commanders and provinces of the Empire.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 06:39:13 PM »
Grand Marshal Sigismund von Breihaupt

His ceremonial titles are many: Commander of the Westgate, Champion of the Emperor, Bearer of Myrmidia's Five Ribbons, Knight of Weissbruck. Yet his title of Grand Marshal of the Empire is the most important of them all. Previously in the employ of the armies of the Reikland, von Breihaupt now serves Elector Count Karl Franz in much greater proximity; for the past decade von Breihaupt has held tenure over the Imperial Capital's walls, a role that puts his unparalleled defensive skills to use. von Breihaupt is a talented siege commander and often laments that he was not around to defend against the von Carsteins personally.

This guy was the first model I painted for the army and took over 50 hours... I hope you think he was worth it. He might suck in game terms but I absolutely love this figure, full of Empire character!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:06:19 PM by errantgamer »

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 07:11:11 PM »
Great Cannon 'HEFTY JAMES'
"This cannon was thought to be Nuln-forged for decades, and given pride-of-place atop its mounts on the walls of the Capital. When a newly-trained -- and keen -- contingent of crew trained at the Imperial School of Gunnery arrived for their tour of service, the myth was quickly debunked. On being notified of the clerical error, von Breihaupt was not surprised. "It explains all the misfires."

The fastidious crew of the cannon:

White-paper action shot:

The name is an injoke with my gaming partner, as we inexplicably started referring to his Dwarf Cannon as Li'l Jim one 2am session. And yes, it blows up every single game, without fail.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:38:49 PM »
The Westgate Halberdiers
The core defenders of the Westgate. Should a foe not fall to massed shot, cannonshot and quarrels at range, these Halberdiers will mop up anything that remains. Typically half the regiment will be drilling in the barracks whilst the other half man the Westgate's checkpoints and conduct patrols in the surrounding streets. Their banner is a golden Imperial Cross, symbolising the crossroads outside the gate and their dedication to the Empire and Emperor.

Well, I painted 10 so far, but I am playing most games with a horde of 40 + warrior priest... That is all as yet unpainted though.  :::cheers:::

And of course a close-up of the banner:

Might add von Breihaupt's personal insignia to the centre, or a white shield with Myrmidian eagle. Undecided yet really.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »
Well, at least your procrastination yields some good effects. I wish, I could say the same.  :::cheers:::
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 02:30:50 AM »
Great stuff! Definitely one of the best Altdorf armies I've seen.  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 06:14:58 AM »
Thanks all. Expect some updates very soon, I am finishing off a unit of 10 archers which should be coming next. :)

Offline Luthor

• Members
-
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »
-
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:55:07 PM by Luthor »

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »
Empire Engineer WIP

Lots still to do (not least including the base)! From the Steam Tank kit. Will have finished pictures soon.. I hope  :-D

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:55:06 AM »
Great looking figures.  Colors are nice and bright with good highlights.  I especially like your captain with the pistol and hammer!  He's one of my favorite figures too.
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
Re: Grand Muster of Altdorf -- 13.8.15 6th ed block wip
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »
I have been inspired to paint some scions of Altdorf once again, as my friend is starting a WoC army, so about time I made some progress on the Imperial front!

Unit is about half done I'd say, lots of areas needing attention still!

I'll post the finished unit along with the archers and engineer in the next week or so...

Offline Ondjage

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 11:37:29 PM »
Amazing plog! You are highly skilled.. Love how you do the faces.. Inspires me to try even harder! For how long have you been painting?
Another subpar post by Ondjage.

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 08:44:01 PM »
that drummer is such an awesome model!
What strikes me is how slender the woman looks next tot hose 6th edition spearmen
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
that drummer is such an awesome model!
What strikes me is how slender the woman looks next tot hose 6th edition spearmen

They just don't feed our state troops like they used to, plus, everyone knows the puffy uniforms do nothing for a gentleman soldier's physique.
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Ondjage -- it is about 10 years now  :-D Thanks for the praise.

I believe the drummer is an old OOP Tilean model. You know what they say about Tileans being the world's best lovers drummers. But clearly he did not get the memo about low-profile shoes.

I have made more progress on this unit but I haven't been able to finish it, as I am currently moving house! Once that is over, I will have lots more time to crack on with the painting. Army of a procrastinator indeed...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:32:13 PM by errantgamer »

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 09:26:30 PM »
Funny I've just got the same little strumpet arrived today, notice you did not flash the leg. Mines going to be Genevieve. Like you painting. Don't have a west gate guard, North gate instead.

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 10:07:36 PM »
Flash the leg? She is a fighter, not a woman-of-Nuln!

Updated the captain photos, will do the rest when I can find the figs other side of packing. (His face is irking me sufficiently, he might get a repaint and a third set of photos!)

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »
The drummer is from the RoR Marksmen of Miragliano box - one of the great sets of yesteryear.

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 08:27:07 PM »
Every army with a cool fluff is a good army and your's is great! :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 03:16:46 AM »
the standard for your spearmen looks great, and I like the older spearman models, I feel like they rank up better. Very cool fluff I enjoyed reading it give us a little more of it  :happy:
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2015, 01:17:06 AM »
This army is looking very good! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Lord Alisk

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2015, 08:21:45 AM »
I'm really enjoying this army too - and like the previous posters, I want to echo how great the banners are. I'm a big fan, and it helps give me inspiration for my own Reikland army.

This is a great looking army, and thanks for sharing,

David

Offline errantgamer

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 08:39:26 AM »
Hello folks,

I haven't stopped by here for a loooong time. Two house moves and Warhammer Fantasy getting killed off inbetween, it's been busy! 8-) Glad to see a fair few still frequenting this forum, it means I won't be posting into a void. Apologies for not replying sooner to all those who posted nice comments about the units I posted above. I appreciate your kind words!

So, why am I back? Well, I've heard the news that Fantasy is getting un-retired (to what extent, we don't know) so my friends and I, being the zealous sort, have decided to get in early. Naturally we immediately settled on creating 2000 point forces! We've got armies kicking around since a lustrum that need finishing -- or starting -- and with enough of the Empire kits still being sold or on Ebay, my focus in 2020 will be creating the real Grand Army of the Empire that I wanted when I created this thread.

I'll provide some updates on those units featured so far soon (after several years languishing in the garage, some cleaning and retouching is DEFINITELY needed on those). I'm going to take a slightly different tack this time, and paint up units from across the Empire Provinces, as all that Altdorf was driving me up the wall last time (and I'm still ambivalent about my choice of red tone, all those years ago).

As I say, this is the project for 2020, and you can expect some more substantial updates soon. But for now, here's the first of the 2020 units: a Reiklander Greatsword I spent a couple of days painting this week.

Hope to have more for you soon.

Cheers!