home

Author Topic: The Renaissance Empire [Page 12: Four month quarantine progress]  (Read 65755 times)

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
Re: Stirland Renaissance [April 5 Three new models]
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
That a beautiful paintjob with a good army theme  :eusa_clap: I really love your banners.

Keep going the good work!
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Stirland Renaissance [Pleasant Surprise Vignette - making of]
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2016, 12:26:41 AM »
 :::cheers::: Alex.

Back in November-December 2015, I took some photos of the work in progress on the vignette I did for the Pleasant Surprise miniatures exchange.

The idea was a 40mm x 40mm vignette or unit filler with a story and a Nordland theme. There's a miniature ship (model within a model, classic!), an adolescent toying with it, and an older man watching. A teacher and a pupil. And two Perry sculpts meeting each other over a 20 years' distance. The ship I bought from Ral Partha Europe.

The pieces. I wanted to heavily convert the metal Perry. Instead of ruining a classic metal model, I ended up making a copy of his torso with Instant Mold. The model I used is inside the mold, the metal original is just to show the idea. The ship was a waterline model with sails, so I added the bottom of the hull and did new masts without sails.

This is what came out of the mold. Lots of mold lines and excess things to cut off. I used 50 % greenstuff and 50 % fine milliputt, with a copper wire frame inside. I find that optimal, since it combines the flexibility of greenstuff during sculpting and the hardness milliputt in the end product. You can both precision cut and file the result, something which is hard with greenstuff only. The right one shows the figure cleaned up and kitbashed together.

Sculpting finished & basecoating

Good way into painting.

Almost finished.

Didn't glue it together, but posted it as pieces and some guidance as to how to assemble it.

Not too complicated.

It's been 20 years since I've done dioramas/vignettes. Nice thing to do for awhile. I need to do a couple for my own Stirlanders too.

fbjorn took some good photos on the Vignette. Look for Pleasant Surprise VIII (2015), page 13, message #317.

And there's more! I've actually played Warhammer!

Here, my troops advance towards Dwarves, and a victory. (Old truth holds: painted beats unpainted.)

Planning for the following game, which was against Lateksimajava's Empire, and a loss for me. He managed to butcher my Greatswords to a man, I lost the Bodyguard (Stubborn), and my centre broke. Lateksimajava's thread has the pictures.

-Z
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:29:45 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
The diorama is really cool it reminds me of the oldest trick in the book commercial  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
I really like that diorama. What a brilliant idea!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »
wow
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
Very nice diorama!

And which edition are you playing on that battefield? It's 9th Age? Really like the Halflings doing the hunters job :-D it will be my next unit to be painted!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2016, 09:54:04 PM »
Thanks, gentlemen.  :::cheers:::

And which edition are you playing on that battefield? It's 9th Age? Really like the Halflings doing the hunters job :-D it will be my next unit to be painted!

The 9th Age, yes. I quite like how infantry-heavy Empire plays with those rules. Everything feels better than with the 8th ed army book. It really is a big improvement. I hear cavalry is not doing that well.

Dunno about the Halflings. :? There are none in the pictures. Crappy pictures, I know...  :eusa_wall:

-Z

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »
The 9th Age, yes. I quite like how infantry-heavy Empire plays with those rules. Everything feels better than with the 8th ed army book. It really is a big improvement. I hear cavalry is not doing that well.

Dunno about the Halflings. :? There are none in the pictures. Crappy pictures, I know...  :eusa_wall:

that's true! I got confused in the first picture, that 5 small figures atop a hill  :oops:

About 9th Age, yes tha'ts the point, the game seems more balanced and our infrantry can perform better on the battlefield, they are on the good way! Hoping the community advance and in near future we'll see more armies (Dogs of War please!)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2016, 02:47:32 PM »
I like the brown, yellow, and blue paint scheme for that figures in that boat building diorama.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Stirland Renaissance
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2016, 07:49:01 AM »
Spent the night basing some older units. Now: fully painted AND fully based!

This 2500 pts 9th Age army will confront a Dwarven force in four hours.

-Z
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:30:10 PM by Zygmund »

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Stirland Renaissance [April 24th]
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2016, 08:34:21 AM »
Glorious. May victory be yours.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
Excellent army  :eusa_clap:

Did you win ? I really hope so. Show us some pic from your battle if you have.  :happy:
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2016, 10:28:16 PM »
A game against Dwarfs again.

Pretty much the same tactics as in the previous game. I came with almost the same list, my opponent had improved his and played his deployment well.

I was soundly defeated, 18-2 victory for the Dwarfs (15-5 plus the secondary objective +3/-3).

My centre broke, and that was it. The Greatswords valiantly died to a man and took many dwarfs with them, but it was far from enough. Without the Bodyguard (allowing Steadfast), my General and BSB ran and were caught.

Had to do some soul-searching and mathammer afterwards. Lessons to learn:
  • His deployment was good and tight, and he played cool and to his strenghts.
  • My deployment was broad because of the many units, and I failed potential synenergies.
  • I could have challenged his table half almost freely (Secondary objective), but instead wasted my small knight unit with a banner in an unnecessary advance towards his handgunners. That alone likely stands for four victory points.
  • Shooting at long range and against targets in cover is very inefficient.
  • Dwarfs really are that tough. My rate of killing them was not enough, it was a bitter, bitter grind.
There were moments where things might have taken a very different turn. I think I missed four important moments:
  • T2 His Engineer killed two Pistoliers at long range, and I failed the Panic test at Ld 7.
  • Two ones with the cannon, and the single successful shot killed just a single Dwarf.
  • T3 His single Doomseeker stopped my Halberdiers and kept me from flank charging his Longbeards.
  • T4 My Halberdiers ran after botching an Ld roll at 8 and with a re-roll from the BSB.
But he missed several such moments too (with six fired shots his Catapults did nothing during the whole game), so I cannot blame my luck.

Other things being roughly equal, the dice decide.

It's 1-1 between me and the Dwarf player now. There must be a decisive third game.

-Z
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:30:30 PM by Zygmund »

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2016, 05:43:47 AM »
Fully painted and fully based - it must be great to field such a wonderful army! Congrats!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
Where'd you get the little ship?
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
@ Mogsam:
The ship I bought from Ral Partha Europe.

@ Zygmund: Excellent work! The scene looks familiar somehow? Was it inspired by a painting or somesuch? 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »
The scene looks familiar somehow? Was it inspired by a painting or somesuch?

It reminded me of http://www.britishempire.co.uk/article/tudorsshipwright.htm
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2016, 11:06:46 PM »
In the last picture before this post, it looks like there's the impression of a twin tailed comet that can be made out on the hill.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2016, 12:14:44 AM »
@GamesPoet: Now that you pointed it out, I can see it too. This time the comet heralded doom. Gotta pray more...

@ Zygmund: Excellent work! The scene looks familiar somehow? Was it inspired by a painting or somesuch?

Thanks.

I didn't draw inspiration anywhere, but I guess the motive is common enough.

Have worked on some little things over the past month. Something with pictures cooking. Update soon.

-Z

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Stirland Renaissance [June 23rd]
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »
Been working on random things, proceeding little here and less there. But then, one night, all the little things get finished (almost), and suddenly there's a bunch of ready stuff.

The Lt Cav banner is still WIP. The two guys & the hound will bolster and existing unit of five. These have been in the making for I don't know how long. Years.

The Flagellant is the melee cultist leader from Dark Vengeance.

The terrain pieces are classic Grendel. I was astonished they're still manufacturing them.

Less green and yellow than usual, and lots of red. Stirland is likely buying Talabheim surplus to cloth its soldiers...

My own favourite is the classic gunner with the bucket.

Sorry about the photo quality. Taking photos midnight in warm=yellow light.

-Z
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:31:05 PM by Zygmund »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:31 PM »
good looking models!

That flagellant conversion worked out really well.

..and clearly they did get not only surplus clothing but also surplus shoes.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2016, 12:35:45 AM »

Less green and yellow than usual, and lots of red. Stirland is likely buying Talabheim surplus to cloth its soldiers...

-Z

good looking models!

That flagellant conversion worked out really well.

I love the idea of surplus uniforms from other States being re-purposed, makes them look all the more rag-tag yet still very Stirlandish.  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »
Well done! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »
Very good job! Nice and coherent warband despite the very different miniatures. The riders are my favourites.  :smile2:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2016, 11:11:44 AM »
Thanks everyone.  :::cheers:::

Very good job! Nice and coherent warband despite the very different miniatures.

Comes from working with only about a dozen bottles of paint, many browns and yellows, no blues, and mixing them alot. Going for muted white/dark red is about as extreme as this palette allows me...  :laugh:

I guess shoes are not expensive. When you're not well-off, those slipper type shoes might be one of the cheapest ways to get comfortable. Still, I managed to put one barefoot (the Flagellant) into ten models, and I try to keep this ratio.  8-)

-Z
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:24:34 AM by Zygmund »