home

Author Topic: The Empire of Sonnstahl ... what is it?  (Read 6852 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
The Empire of Sonnstahl ... what is it?
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
I've seen some references to The Empire of Sonnstahl, and realize it is associated with some sort of Warhammer continuation via "9th Age", yet anyone have additional info on this?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: The Empire of Sonnstahl ... what is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
probably on the 9th age forum :P
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »
 :icon_lol:  True, and I actually looked around, but it was like hunting for a needle in a hay stack.  Doesn't seem to be the best laid out forum for gettign infomration regarding their various factions.

And thus we have the Count's Tavern ... a place where such questions might find an answer because of all the illustrious folks frequenting this place.  :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »
It's avoiding copyright infringement then.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
It seems the general idea is to create a background world and story, but, as far as I can see, they have not made much headway.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:28:05 AM by Fidelis von Sigmaringen »
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 10:19:30 AM »
They have or they haven't? If you haven't a clue about what I am saying then take solace in the fact that I have. :engel:
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
Amended.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »
It will be very interesting to see what background they come up with, for better or worse.

I'll be honest and say that for me the background takes priority over the lists*. The latter should emerge from the former, which in the case of Sonnsthal is impossible due to the fact that they've got to build a list for existing figures and rules. Still, interesting. Actually, is it possible they won't bother creating a background?

(* By which I don't mean the 'official' background, but whatever understanding of the background a group of players and a GM come up with.)
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 10:38:49 AM »
So 9th age doesn't use the old (pre end times) warhammer background? I thought that was the idea of it!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »
They are worried about IP issues.

On a side note: I cannot find any reference on Google to Sonnstahl indepedent from 9th Age. There is a Sonnstahl in the German translation of a poem by Thomas Moore (which can even be said to fit the situation) - but that is a spelling mistake!

Wie seltsam die Schlüsse des Schicksals doch fallen,
Nicht lang das in den Fluthen der Krieger noch lag,
Ward ein Sonnstahl gesehen über Mauern und Hallen,
Und auf Willumbergs Schloss strahlte wieder der Tag.

How strangely the order of destiny falls!
Not long in the waters the warrior lay,
When a sunbeam was seen to glance over the walls,
And the castle of Willumberg basked in the ray!

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
they should have, imo, just updated the rules. Call it 9th age not 9th edition so it doesnt look official, but retain the rest.

I don't think GW have a problem with house rules, which is essentially what this is (reaching a consensus for house rules).
BFG for example have widely available and accepted re-writings of fleet lists and the rules, but still have the same name for races, fleets and ships.

Changing the fluff etc makes it just as jarring a change as going to AoS or KoW.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 11:46:21 AM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
I agree. Update rules. Maybe give options for groups of players to choose between? Then simply say 'use whatever background you like - old GW or your own".

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 12:01:21 PM »
It does somewhat make it not 9th age and it's own game with clearly ripped off rules.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 12:42:46 PM »
Wow.  No wonder I couldn't find much of anything, if all they have is a list of army options for the Empire of Sonnstahl.

By the way, I could read the list, they changed the names of everything, it'll be interesting to see how the stats compare to the GW Empire list.  At the same time, I tried printing it and saving it, and in both cases it seemed like my computer was taking forever to process it, so I stopped in both situations.  Oh well.

I'm beginning to wonder how well thought out the Empire of Sonnstahl has been.  It strikes me as unusual that they'd completely ditch the old background.  Seems similar to GW blowing up the Olde World.

And here I was hoping to see something brilliant. :icon_lol:

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 12:45:31 PM »
they're obviously scared of getting sued, but Rufus created a much more recognisable and smooth to transition army list for the campaign lists. They could have done it more like that.

They probably couldn't use things like "reiksguard knight", but only the very specific names.

Pass the machete.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
There are some reasonably good rules ideas in the 9th Age stuff but I've personally found the euphemisms for proper Warhammer things entirely off putting.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 04:27:55 PM »
... but I've personally found the euphemisms for proper Warhammer things entirely off putting.

Do you mean you have discovered the synonymical descriptions for standard game-world items completely upsetting?  :wink:

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 12:14:15 AM »
Hints we already received about 9th Age fluff:
- more inspired from Earth's history than GW's WH 8th
- fits present unit's appearance.

Empire of Sonnstahl will be the most important human nation, located in the middle-north part of a continent resembling Europe, speaking a germanic tongue, at a stage of civilization equivalent to early Renaissance.
There will be Knightly Orders, infantry, artillery, wizards, priests, inquisitors, engineers.

What will change are names: no more Sigmar, Karl Franz..., Averland, Nuln..., runefang, hurricanum..., or familiar lores and spell's names.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 03:14:44 AM »
So a whole different game rather then a continuation of the old one eh?

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 08:41:45 AM »
That is exactly what they're making.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 10:25:03 AM »
They are keeping so legacy issues though. I think that's in the interest of keeping it accessible to previous WH players
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 03:28:25 PM »
So a whole different game rather then a continuation of the old one eh?
Actually, both.
It will be in theory a totally different game with not a single rule, not a single name copy/pasted from GW (only those generic enough such as "Human", "Empire"... remain).
But the flavor is supposed to remain the very same, for both rules - entirely re-written but heavily inspired from 8th ed with fixes and some adjustments - and fluff - similarly inspired from old Europe with fantasy races and weird religions.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 05:03:34 PM »
Are you allowed to use any brand of miniatures? Or just GW's?
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 05:04:13 PM »
Just GW's? That would be silly.