home

Author Topic: Gotrex in Age of Sigmar  (Read 3887 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Gotrex in Age of Sigmar
« on: November 12, 2018, 01:59:02 AM »
I've been reading some of the new Gotrex stuff that takes place in Age of Sigmar, and I find it really interesting and wanted to share some bits of it. Parts really remind me of how some folks feel about the new edition. Gotrex has long been one of my favorite fantasy characters, so it's been a blast seeing him in the new setting. More then that, one of the main themes is how the Age of Sigmar is not just a remake of the Old World, but actually a continuation of it. It's not a new world, so much as a new age.

First, before I get into the new stuff I figured I'd remind folks how his adventurers in the Old World Ended. Spoilers below obviously, so you have been warned.

As the End Times happened Gotrex and his buddies went on their last adventure, and it ended up with Gotrex and Felix meeting Grimnir himself in the realm of chaos. Grimnir had been there since his disappearance, slaughtering hordes of demons to stop them from invading the Old World. Gotrex had been forged and led here so that he could take over, and give Grimnir a chance to get back to the Old World to save dwarf kind (Well more or less.) Gotrex loved this and considered it a doom worth having.

Then we all know how it goes. The Old World dies, stuff blows up, Age of Sigmar comes about.

Now Gotrex has been spat back out and finds himself in the new Realms. And he's Pissed. He's lost his axe, lost his friends and literally lost his world. He finds this new reality ridiculous. He asks where the new dwarfs are and finds out their now called Duardin, and he replies that it's such a stupid name. He thinks the whole new reality is silly and stupid. The names, the people, everything. He just wants to find his old stuff, especially when he hears rumours that Grimnir's legendary axe (his old axe) is around somewhere, and when he finds out about the Stormcast he wonders if maybe Felix got uplifted and became one.

So now he's wandering around a world he doesn't understand, that he thinks is nothing but some sad, devolution of the one he knew. To add insult to injury the Fyreslayers he meets thinks he's Grimnir Reforged, the ratmen are still trying to kill him, and Grimnir (Who he partially blames for all this) isn't even around to be yelled at. He's sick of the gods just as much as he's sick of everything else.

There's a nice little novella as part of this years Christmas special edition stuff called The Bone Desert. It's $6 Canadian bucks and it's a fun little story.

One of the things I'm really liking about the new Gotrex stuff, and what reminds me a great deal of the board sometimes, is that just like a lot of us Gotrex is constantly referencing the Old World. He's talking about Dawi and dwarfs, he's talking about killing skeletons in Sylvania, and it's interesting to see his frustration when the people he meets don't know what he's talking about. There's actually a really good interaction in the beginning of the little novella where he's asking the guide if there's any dwarfs in the settlement their coming to, and the guide doesn't know what a dwarf is. Gotrex finally has to sign, and ask if there's any Duardin there. Commenting on just how different, and not in a good way, they've become.

This was mostly just a random thought I had over the course of reading some stuff that I wanted to throw out and see if it generates any discussion. I like the way the Old World has become this kind of legend in the new world, and now we're seeing some of those old legends come back. Bringing more then just memories with them.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Gotrex in Age of Sigmar
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:09:40 AM »
I somehow missed the novella and is this also from the new audio book of gotrek? Or is it all new books that I can get hold of?
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 02:22:44 AM »
I honestly don't know for sure how much Gotrex stuff is out now for AoS. I've been reading the new Novella and I've read parts of older stuff. The new audiobook series look good, and it seems to be the official 'start point' for his return. There's been a few short short stories or excerpts on the community site and elsewhere, but they're just getting going again.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 08:49:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing that is indeed a very intriguing view on things that GW is giving us through these novels.
I think I will find out more about this myself (even though reading has somewhat become something of a thing I don't make enough time for at the moment)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
Re: Gotrek in Age of Sigmar
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 01:25:40 PM »
The Realmslayer audio drama is the start point for the return of Gotrek  (No X in Gotrek)   And I've had a listen, and I really enjoyed it - Getting Brian Blessed to Gotrek really works.  I'd recommend it for sure.

Gankom has pretty much covered the stuff I would mention without spoilers.   I like that he feels lost in this universe, as it isn't the World that Was, and he's sticking to what he knows

And i'm currently reading the Novella The Bone Desert (Which isn't a christmas thing - that's usually the Black Library advent calendar ebook series, it's one of ten in a set of novellas that has just come out, and there will be a series of these collections I believe)

The audio drama and the novella are all that have come out with Gotrek so far, and there's nothing anounced that I can see in the coming soon section of the Black library website, but I'm pretty sure there will be in the future

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 02:32:23 PM »
Hmmm ... I hope you'll forgive my lack of enthusiasm, even though the story seems a way to connect from one to the other.  The Olde World had become a bit of the same, and there seemed to be an unwillingness to proceed with it, create new in the old.  And so instead we have what they've done, in essence started over, and it feels unfortunately even a bit hokey.  At least the storyteller for Gotrex is trying to make the transition a smooth one, in a way.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
The Realmslayer audio drama is the start point for the return of Gotrek  (No X in Gotrek)   And I've had a listen, and I really enjoyed it - Getting Brian Blessed to Gotrek really works.  I'd recommend it for sure.

Gankom has pretty much covered the stuff I would mention without spoilers.   I like that he feels lost in this universe, as it isn't the World that Was, and he's sticking to what he knows

And i'm currently reading the Novella The Bone Desert (Which isn't a christmas thing - that's usually the Black Library advent calendar ebook series, it's one of ten in a set of novellas that has just come out, and there will be a series of these collections I believe)

The audio drama and the novella are all that have come out with Gotrek so far, and there's nothing anounced that I can see in the coming soon section of the Black library website, but I'm pretty sure there will be in the future

I can't believe I got through my whole post spelling his name wrong and didn't even notice. I blame it on excitement. I really did enjoy Bone Desert, even if it seems to pick up more in the middle of things.

It must just be my local GW but the Novella series was billed as part of the Black Library holiday stuff, so that's what I went with. Checking the community site however I see it's not! Strange!

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 03:55:46 PM »
I can understand, especially after he shouts .........(SPOILER ALERT).
.GOTREK'S ALIVE!

At the end of Realmslayer, and any other reference of Gotrek's would sound like Gotrex.   And I've seen so many mispellings of it over the years, so you're not alone in that.

Also, it wouldn't be the first time a GW store staffer didn't quite read the product emails, or get it quite right.  A lot of them are like us, they need to catch up on the community site to find out what's what half the time

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »
That' what I figured. Plus in fairness we had just finished talking about the big Christmas battalion box sets, so his mind was probably elsewhere.

(Namely trying to get me to preorder as many of them as possible.)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
WOW he sounds like me talking about AoS hahaha im sold im going to read this
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Castozor

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 06:30:26 PM »
Maybe I'm just a negative nancy but as I liked both the old Gortrek novels and the Old World it just feels like GW is rubbing it in to me. "Look guys Gortrek is as annoyed as you are by this change, also he's back, enjoy!". Yeah I don't think I will. If I can get it second hand I'll pick it up but I won't give them another penny for anything AoS or old world related.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 10:46:50 PM »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 11:05:02 PM »
I can't believe I got through my whole post spelling his name wrong and didn't even notice. I blame it on excitement. I really did enjoy Bone Desert, even if it seems to pick up more in the middle of things.

Yes, it is the excitement. Because you are into X-rated things. Like Boner Desert and stuff...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 02:19:50 AM »
Don't you be putting dirty things in my mouth Fidelis! We're not that part of the internet.

No sir, W-E is a wholesome family friendly part of the internet.

Except the back table. That dark and scary place.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 02:32:39 PM »

Yes, it is the excitement. Because you are into X-rated things. Like Boner Dessert and stuff...

Fixed that for you.  :-P
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders