home

Author Topic: FFH's 30K Imperial Fist project  (Read 11227 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: FFH's 30K Imperial Fist project
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2020, 05:11:52 AM »
I found a really nice color scheme for my bases and decided to try it out today.

Its still a work in progress, I based coated everything and added shade to the stone and metal parts. Its late so I'll dry brush the dirt and stone along with highlight the metals tomorrow (hopefully). After that the details should really pop! I also ordered some technical paint to give the brass a corroded look but that wont come in until the end of the month (luckily that will be the last step anyway). Once I finish up the highlights I can clean and paint the rim to finish (sans corrosive paint).

In retrospect I think I would have painted a thin coat of mephiston or khorne red as a base for the dirt before adding the martian ironearth. Also the brass required multiple layers over a black base coat. Was iffy on whether to add another coat or not. I may add a bit more shade in the brass arch ventwork but will wait for it to fully dry. Next time I think I'd do the brass before the dirt/stone.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2020, 08:03:01 AM »
Your daughters are probably going to think dad"s bases are cool with those colors. :icon_wink:

They do look good! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:04:49 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
Love those bases!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2020, 05:16:57 AM »
Thanks guys. I finished the bases today (sans corrosion)

Me just nitpicking myself but the picture quality doesn't show off the subtle highlights to the martian earth as you would see in person (which I am very proud of. Perhaps a lighter or pastel orange may help but I'll have to think on it. I think I used too dull a brass highlight (gehenna's gold) so I am not entirely happy with the results for the brass parts. It seems more like a reddish mid tone (bronze?) than a highlight. I am tempted to find a brighter brass color and improve the highlight.

This gave me an opportunity to practice edge highlighting and I can honestly say it is a bit tough to do. I think my hand is too clumsy so it'll take some practice. It also may also be the lighting in the room. Sometimes I couldn't quite tell how close my brush was to the surface and made a few mistakes I had to neaten up. Luckily a clean brush with some water on hand is a great way of fixing mistakes in the moment. I also decided to paint the rim of the base black to help the base (and future miniature) stand out. I am quite proud at how the stone slab turned out though. Drybrushing seems to be an easier technique to get a handle of for me.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2020, 08:39:05 AM »
They look good to me. :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap:

I paint everything under a magnifying light these days.  If I didn't, then I would run into all sorts of issue.  My eyes aren't what they once were.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2020, 07:30:27 PM »
The corrosive technical paint came in. I had some time so I put it to the bases. May have went a little overboard on a couple but I like the result. May take another pass at black on the rim of the base to neaten up but for all intents and purposes they are done. I really wish I had the foresight of painting the dirt khorne red before adding the ironearth. Some of the flakes already came off and you can see the undercoat. I'll know better next time when I get to the next squad.

Kids have been tough to put to bed lately. If I can get them to bed at a reasonable hour I'll be able to prime the marines.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
Those looks pretty sweet!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2020, 09:51:17 PM »
Excellent! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2020, 04:11:07 AM »
Marines are primed. I need to find a better way of priming than waiting until 11:30pm to do it. Its hard to see if they're getting full coverage in the dark (even with a porch light on). If it wasn't so hot during the day I could probably pull it off then, but thats summer for you.

I wish the sculpt was a little bit better for the backpacks. There's a recess down the length of vent pipes and backpack but the backpack binding and vent itself are flush. Ah well.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:20:03 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2020, 03:57:17 AM »
I'm learning a lot of things with this project so far. I used a contrast paint and painted the armor for 3 marines. The idea from the tutorial I am following is to bring it up closer to the armor color we will be using in the next step and also providing a shade for the yellow armor. This is my first time using a contrast paint and I know yellow is notoriously hard to paint, but so far it looks good. The conventional way of painting the armor is to use a base of Averland Sunset which is really close to the contrast paint and is a tad orangish than yellow. Although Yriel yellow will go over this and bring it to the typical Imperial Fist yellow everyone is familiar with, I worry that its too dark. I need to be careful not to let the contrast paint pool up or be too dark in areas. It handles like a wash and perhaps I should use it like one (although I've been told not to use it like a wash). We'll see what happens when I get to the layer paint.

I am seeing that my decision to super glue the legs seems to have been a bad one. A couple have come apart already. Either I didn't use enough or I should have used plastic glue instead.

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2021, 02:11:20 PM »
From the "How Many 40K Armies Do You Have?" thread ...

3) Imperial Fists

What a coincidence, my space marines are sons of Dorn as well. Going for a Horus Heresy 30K Imperial Fist army. I am going to try and clean up the office (which has been a pseudo storage room for the last 6 months) so I can get back to them. In total I will need 4 boxes of space marines.

2x 10 man squads of MkIII marines (so 2 boxes)
2x 5 man squad of MkIII marines (1 box)
2x 5 man squads of MkIV marines (1 box)

The 2 10 man squads are just compulsory tactical squads. One of the 5 man squads of MkIII will be the Templars and the other will be the Devastator squad. The 5 man MkIV will be the special weapons support squad and the other squad is my command squad. After that it'll be vehicles upon vehicles.

I am currently working on my first 10 man squad, trying to get the yellow figured out. I want a nice lemon look but I fear it will be more of a mustard. We'll see.
 :-P
Are you open to trying a non-GW yellow :icon_question:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2021, 06:30:45 PM »
Are you open to trying a non-GW yellow :icon_question:
I have heard vallejo yellow is pretty good. I need to actually finish my squad with Yriel yellow first though. Sometimes the yellow doesn't pop until you start to add other colors to the mini, including yellow highlights
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2021, 06:41:26 PM »
Yep, vallejo has some good yellows.  And I can understand using the same color scheme across a squad. :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2021, 04:31:16 PM »
Feanor ... 2 questions ...

1. Where'd those Horus Heresy books come from?

2. Where'd you get your bases?

By the way, I ordered a box of the Mark III space marines, although not sure what they'll be used for yet.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2021, 05:14:51 PM »
Looking like nice steady progress, all my Marines are boxed away for a rainy day but they too will be Imperial Fists in the end (whenever that'll be!) so will be paying close attention to this thread - especially painting the infamously difficult yellow!

What was it that drew you into 30K rather than the 'more is more' Primaris era stuff currently in fashion?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2021, 06:22:16 AM »
Those are just the rule books and they are from Forgeworld. Forgeworld handles most of the 30k stuff. It was only in the last couple of years did GW start selling the mk III and IV armors. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Horus-Heresy

They have campaign books with stories, scenarios, art, and etc too. It can get a bit pricey what with it being Forgeworld and all.

They are from GW: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sector-Imperialis-32MM-Round-Bases

They have quite the selection now.

What was it that drew you into 30K rather than the 'more is more' Primaris era stuff currently in fashion?
I like the Horus Heresy era and watching MiniWarGaming's battle reports on it was really fun. About a year ago the Mrs. and I came to Massachusetts to scout out a house to buy since we were moving from DC to the Boston area. Our realtor suggested this cool pub that had board games. When we walked in there was a 30K game in progress. I ended up chatting up the players and there is a community of 30K players in the area. So now there could be some potential people to play. Also I can just use the marines in 40K as regular marines. I didn't really care much for the plot advancement that GW has done with 40K and I don't really have much interest in the Primaris. I follow TTS as my 40K canon anyways.
 :-P

Yellow isn't too bad. Prime with white and not black and you're already ahead of the curb. If you make a mistake and get another color on your yellow, repaint that area white and then go back over it with your yellow. 2 thin coats is your friend. I am following a lovely tutorial by Duncan Rhodes, but his Imperial Fist tutorial is paywalled ($5 a month for his website).

I hope to some day get Rogal Dorn and paint him up. He's missing his TTS iconic mustache though, will have to add that whenever I get him.

By the way, I ordered a box of the Mark III space marines, although not sure what they'll be used for yet.

Might I suggest the Luna Wolves you liked? There may not be official decals anymore, but I know of a site where they make the shoulder badges you can just glue on and paint.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/games/tabletop-wargaming?tag=4.+livery_moon+wolves

Looks like they make mkIII shoulders with them too:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/34SJLLLAX/10x-moon-wolves-g-3a-shoulder-pads?optionId=60315487&li=marketplace
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:27:06 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2021, 07:50:46 PM »
Another reason I went with 30K is the vehicles and walkers look amazing. I fell in love with the Sicarian Battle Tank specifically.

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2021, 09:03:05 PM »
Those are just the rule books and they are from Forgeworld. Forgeworld handles most of the 30k stuff. It was only in the last couple of years did GW start selling the mk III and IV armors. https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Horus-Heresy

They have campaign books with stories, scenarios, art, and etc too. It can get a bit pricey what with it being Forgeworld and all.
Besides the rules, what else did you pick upo?

They are from GW: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Sector-Imperialis-32MM-Round-Bases

They have quite the selection now.
Bingo!  I'll take a look, thanks!

Might I suggest the Luna Wolves you liked? There may not be official decals anymore, but I know of a site where they make the shoulder badges you can just glue on and paint.
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/games/tabletop-wargaming?tag=4.+livery_moon+wolves

Looks like they make mkIII shoulders with them too:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/34SJLLLAX/10x-moon-wolves-g-3a-shoulder-pads?optionId=60315487&li=marketplace
I got some decals off ebay last year, and think I wrote here before they'd be used for a Border Prince unit or two.  I am having second thoughts though.

And that Sicarian Battle Tank looks great!  Is that your paint job? Excellent as well as the model.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »
Besides the rules, what else did you pick upo?
Thats about it. One is the core rule book, then there is the space marine rule book, then there is the legion specific rule book (it has all the legions in it and their unique rules).

And that Sicarian Battle Tank looks great!  Is that your paint job? Excellent as well as the model.
I wish it was mine. That'll be a future investment.  :happy:
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2021, 05:39:28 AM »
We finally cleaned a bit of the office and now I can actually use my hobby table again. Introducing Cadet Rousselle. And just like the song, he's a bit of a misfit. Mostly as I am using him to re-acclimate myself to painting. I was pretty broad with my strokes which has removed most of the undercoat's shading effect so will need to re-shade again later (somehow). I made many mistakes (including not using a fresh or clean pallet and not dusting him off causing some issues until I realized my mistake) but its a learning process. I've been trying to find that sweet spot of thinning my paints. Sometimes it seems a tad too thick and sometimes too thin. But I think I have found the middle.

Honestly the lighting is being very generous towards my use of yellow. I went over my mistakes with wraithbone but instead of using Iyanden yellow first I opted to go over it with yriel and it seems too light compared to the rest of the yellow. Live and learn. He needs a bit more touching up before I can move on to shading and then highlighting. I will say he has made a lot of progress than what he was before (see previous picture). http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=54174.msg1065988#msg1065988

The Song:
https://youtu.be/FjFEWSXavzU

The Translation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadet_Rousselle
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2021, 10:13:20 AM »
How did you come across the story of Rousselle?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2021, 06:33:02 AM »
Okay, thats a bit of a story. The short answer is the song video.

The long answer is about a year ago my eldest daughter could still be lulled to sleep with music and we had youtube on and played Frere Jacque. Unbeknownst to us, it was from a french youtube channel and not just a kids music one. We started getting recommendations for traditional french children's songs. Eventually we came across the video I linked by a production company from Canada that has a french children's show and made a bunch of animated songs for the show. The songs became catchy and we started singing them around the house. Every now and then my curiosity would pique and I'd look up the song's lyrics and history. It also lead us to see the Maya the Bee remake (I had watched the original when I was a kid when in ran in the 90s in the US) which was a french production during the 2010s and included a few songs including their own version of "Promenons-nous dans les bois," a french song about kids playing in the forest but being on the look out for the wolf, whom himself is busy getting ready. The Maya the Bee version replaces the wolf with the spider character. Again very catchy. Since bee's look like Imperial Fists and Cadet Rousselle's video was about a space man, I just kind of went with it.

Original Promenons-nous dans les bois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4fhqWofgDk
Bee version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4VErEl4Wy8

The french kid songs are pretty interesting and can range from planting crops, to alligators going to war with elephants, to holding your neighbor's cat for ransom, to a one night stand with a friend's neighbor.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2021, 09:22:34 AM »
Ha!  Ask an you shall receive! :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol: :::cheers:::

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2021, 12:36:52 AM »
I haven't gotten around to painting the past few days. Kids have been waking up in the middle of the night and NOT GOING BACK TO SLEEP! So I have been too exhausted. I may try tonight but my youngest fell asleep way earlier than usual so I may just go to bed in anticipation for her were-wolf transformation when the moon is full.

I did want to mention something else about 30K that you all may not be aware of. There is a special mission type called "Zone Mortalis." It is meant to simulate either a space ship boarding action, an assault inside a bunker system, or in some sort of fortified tunnel. You have an attacker and defender. The attackers get 1 more elite slot available but no heavy option and the defender gets one more heavy but no fast attack.

You set up a board kind of like kill team but with rooms and corridors. The attacker deploys on one side with their units (representing the hull breach, boarding torpedo, sewer system, etc, they are entering from) and since this is suppose to be unknown ground for them, the defender deploys on a piece of paper where his units are on the map (they're hidden from the attacker). When the attacker breaches or opens a door that room is then revealed and the defender puts their models there. It allows the attacker to set up ambushes and the attacker needs to prepare themselves for whatever may come. Neither side can have transports, vehicles, or walkers bigger than a 60mm base (since they wouldn't be able to get through a bulkhead). So just infantry models, more or less. And no squad can be bigger than 15 models. Its meant to be a fast and brutal game (usually on a 4x4 board).

Here's a 1d4chan article that explains it in more detail:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Zone_Mortalis

It may be a fun way to play smaller games while you're still building an army or learning the game. I also imagine it would be fun in 40K with imperials of all kinds clearing out cults (either chaotic, tyrannic, or mundane) in the underhive or assaulting a ship to capture someone or kill something (Dark Angels Fallen anyone?). Its like a step up from kill team and different or smaller than a regular game.

Edit: Oh, also this is where breacher squads (Like a space marine tactical squad but they all have big riot shields) really shine.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 12:42:41 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2021, 02:06:32 AM »
Here's a tip for painting yellow
Ceremite white
Ceremite white
Skull white
Yellow ink