home

Author Topic: Indomitus 9th Edition Boxed Set Has Arrived ...  (Read 1663 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Indomitus 9th Edition Boxed Set Has Arrived ...
« on: August 01, 2020, 12:57:32 AM »
The Indomitus 9th edition boxed set I purchased has arrived.

Haven't opened it yet, not much motivation, except I am curious about the rule book.  However, I may try to give a go to a small game using the core rules before digging deeper into whatever the full rules have available.  And perhaps I'll be more enthusiastic about checking out the miniatures eventually.

Anybody else have there copy yet?

Any first impressions?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Indomitus 9th Edition Boxed Set Has Arrived ...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 02:36:23 AM »
Got my copy on Tuesday and pretty pleased. A small mountain of plasic, the core book is thick and heavy, plus has some brilliant art and a fold out galaxy map. Rules look good, although I do notice some wonky areas I hope they fix fast.

Going to take awhile to build the marines because I need to carve their shoulders off for each one. Like the look of the necrons (and the War of the Worlds walker guy!) so currently building them.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 08:04:38 AM »
I’m in the middle of assembling the necrons now.  I’m going to sell off the space marines but this is a great value.
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »
When I picked the box up off the post office counter, the words out of my mouth immediately were, "oh, that's heavy."  I figure the main hard back rule book being included is responsible for that sense, although knowing the number of figures being provided is probably contributing.  Then again my package included the Star Wars Legion: Clone Wars set that I purchased, but that wasn't nearly as heavy as the Indomitus box set is.

Also, I noticed that on the back of the box it repeatedly says "space marines" and not "Primaris Space Marines".

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 12:23:06 PM »
Also, I noticed that on the back of the box it repeatedly says "space marines" and not "Primaris Space Marines".

That is because the Codex Space Marines still include the older non-primaris models. So long as that is the case they won't rename the general name.
Though with all the new Primaris releases I wonder how long the older models will be around before moved off to Legends
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
I’d imagine they will disappear next edition. They will probably do a time jump in the fluff by 100-200 years.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
Ah!  So I opened this up on my joint video chat with Artoban a week back of this past Sat, and after our joint Warcry box opening.  Mostly a load of plastic, and the new core rule book.  Started to like the Necrons, but who knows what will happen to those.  The Primaris space marines might see some effort at some point.

After finishing the downloadable core rules, I'm now enjoying the new full sized rule book.  Not sure how much of a change this book is to the previous, because I haven't played 40K since 5th edition.  However, there seems to be a good effort to it's over all design and artwork, and I enjoyed the fold out map, too!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 10:02:46 PM »
Picked up this nifty set of paints today when making my first physical trip into a local game store today ...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/40k-Paint-and-Tool-SetCA-2020

I use some of the paints in this set for many other figures, so having the backs ups is good.  Plus I was lacking the metallics, and that neon green, and not sure what Bugman's glow is, and it'll be interesting to see the astrogranite, so bingo!  And can't ever have enough of earthshade.  I'll use the brush, don't need the clippers, and might use the miniature file.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 10:08:28 PM »
And by the way, this local store was only charging $45 for the box of paints and tools, instead of the $55 being charged by GW.

Got like that! :icon_biggrin:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 01:21:21 AM »
Good find!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 03:08:24 AM »
The paints alone were worth the $45.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 08:06:51 PM »
Besides the box of paints and tools linked in a post above, there are also two other sets of paints being offered by GW, one for the Space marines, and the other for the Necrons.  Each comes with three corresponding miniatures.

Space Marine Paint Set ... https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Space-Marines-Paint-Set-CA-2020

Necrons Paint Set ... https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Necrons-Paint-Set-CA-2020

I actually like the Paint and tool set better than those other two even though it doesn't have any miniatures because instead it has a larger variety of paints, and that gives more choice for how a person paints their figures.

Here is a video of three Necrons painted in three different schemes ... using only the paints in the boxed set for the Necrons ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPhloD7lsQg

In watching that video, that inspired in me the idea of perhaps painting different Necron units in different paint schemes, and perhaps adding a bit of other color to the less numerous, tougher units and leaders.  Or perhaps using a similar paint scheme, but with other colors on something that indicate which unit they belong.

Also, it'll be interesting to see if she comes up with a video on painting different schemes on 3 different marines.

With the wider variety of colors in the Paint and Tool Set, that provides plenty of colors for painting up Chapters other than the Ultramarines.

Here is that link again for the full set of Paints and Tools ...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/40k-Paint-and-Tool-SetCA-2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 06:18:02 PM »
Here's an interesting paint scheme for Necrons ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoxYU0otCHI

I am giving this scheme serious consideration for my Necrons, and suspect I could easily adapt it to my Star Wars Droid army too, and then cross use them as Necrons in a pinch.  Think I'd paint a metallic color of some kind on the internal metal bars and other parts and such to give the figures a bit more definition, although this will add time to the painting.

Also, here is a video by the same guy for painting the blues with out an air brush ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkLZZbndav8

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2021, 11:07:37 PM »
Same guy as above with 2000 points of "speed painted" Necrons ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQw-xPozraY

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 09:59:36 PM »
And here is a video showing some different techniques for painting Necrons ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4JAFJglhWU

Will make some comments on this when I get a free moment a bit later.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2021, 12:13:15 AM »
Regarding the link in my post above ... the three examples have some interesting ideas.

The concept of priming first and then base coating black, why not just do a black primer?

I like the ideas of using the Reikland flesh, I've found the Agrax to be relatively dark.

Using a mix of gray and blue for highlights on the guns was interesting.

Found the ideas on the purple shading and stain marks to be helpful, and the bone on metal reminds me of the sandstone scheme from the previous link provided in this thread.

Wasn't as thrilled with using a contrast paint after basing blades and such in white, although the painting of the tubing was an interesting idea.

Wasn't thrilled with the red coloring of the energy for the weapons, although it did come out looking ok, just not my preference.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2021, 12:57:08 AM »
Here's another idea from the same painter who did the sandstone Necrons ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7b75IC-B0c

These have a background that describes them as trying to reclaim their outer skin by flaying the bodies of their victims, and putting the skin and blood and gore on themselves.  Not my idea of something I'd want to do for a whole army, although providing some interesting techniques anyway.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 03:32:41 PM »
Seems that GW is beginning to release some of the models initially available via the Indomitus box set.

Interestingly the Indomitus box set sold for $200 US around here, and what remains at local stores is now selling at $220 US.  If you subtract the rule book out at $75 US from the original price, then that brings the models down to $125 US, which makes it about $2.24 US per model.

Meanwhile ... a Space Marines Honored of the Chapter set is $140 which is $17.50 US per model, and the Necron Royal Court set is at $110 which is $22 per model. :icon_eek: