home

Author Topic: Dominion Box Set With 3rd Edition W:AoS ...  (Read 6540 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Re: Dominion Box Set With 3rd Edition W:AoS ...
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2021, 04:56:24 PM »
Reinforcing my earlier sentiments, that Praetor is bangin'!

I think it helps that these new wave stormcast seem to be a little better proportioned, the normal guys are more normal sized, and the hefty dudes are BIG. Opens up a lot of possibilities for conversions that don't make them look like pinheads or anything too silly. I'm defo looking to do something akin to that when these 3 arrive and fingers crossed for a boxed set in the future (never thought I'd say that about SE models...)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2021, 05:02:07 PM »
I like how the armor was painted in silver instead of gold. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2021, 06:38:47 PM »
@Jmash, yessss. Let the Stormcast influence into you.

I've never particularly liked the Golden armor scheme they've gone with. I get why they do it, it makes it look particularly unique in the fantasy world, but pretty much everything else is better. Silver just looks classic, they could be knights or paladins from a thousand different games (Which is likely why GW doesn't use silver much), but even more 'normal' colours like greens and black looks really good.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2021, 11:04:34 AM »
@Jmash, yessss. Let the Stormcast influence into you.

I've never particularly liked the Golden armor scheme they've gone with. I get why they do it, it makes it look particularly unique in the fantasy world, but pretty much everything else is better. Silver just looks classic, they could be knights or paladins from a thousand different games (Which is likely why GW doesn't use silver much), but even more 'normal' colours like greens and black looks really good.

Totally agree with this. Every Stormacast or Stormcast conversion I have ever seen looks infinitely better painted in steel, black, blue etc.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2021, 06:49:53 PM »
Reinforcing my earlier sentiments, that Praetor is bangin'!

I think it helps that these new wave stormcast seem to be a little better proportioned, the normal guys are more normal sized, and the hefty dudes are BIG. Opens up a lot of possibilities for conversions that don't make them look like pinheads or anything too silly. I'm defo looking to do something akin to that when these 3 arrive and fingers crossed for a boxed set in the future (never thought I'd say that about SE models...)

Haha ok... so the 5 Vindictors arrived today.

Whilst I still maintain that the new SE look is much better proportioned than the old, these guys are MONSTROUSLY huge!  :icon_eek:

For perspective; I am currently working on some plastic Greatswords, and my noble Greatsword captain is shoulder height with a Vindictor belt buckle! :dry:

I think I'm remembering the bigger issue with these AoS guys...  :lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2021, 08:00:23 PM »
Uh oh ... its like Space Marines being bigger than humans! :icon_eek:

:engel: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2021, 09:46:59 PM »
Oh ya these SE are BIG. Pretty much all on 40mm bases. If anything they're as bulky as Terminators.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2021, 11:52:42 PM »
Oh ya these SE are BIG. Pretty much all on 40mm bases. If anything they're as bulky as Terminators.

Bloody hell they are! And here was me thinking the Vindictors were supposed to be the 'normal sized' guys!

If this is anything to go by then this guy is gonna be the size of a f*£%$#€ dreadnought! :-P

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2021, 09:03:06 AM »
He reminds me of the living statue from the moronic fantasy segment from the Venture bros episode in which the Mighty Monarch has to go to court.
....now i want a mech Shiva

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2021, 09:17:10 AM »
Sorry, the figure doesn't impress me, no interest in buying.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2021, 04:13:16 PM »
I think he looks bad ass myself. Although I'd likely clip his back banner halo thing. Or at least I would if I bought him, but even considering how I like him, I'm not taking out a mortgage just to buy it.

In regards to our talk about Stormcast armor colours, Warcom has an article today with a bunch of expert painters doing up the new models. Its interesting to me how many avoided the gold scheme and used the same colours we were talking about.

^ Black and gold. looks fab imo.

Havent seen this shade of red before. Not my favorite, but a pretty different look.

I still think silver looks good, but they also could be right out of Warcraft or D&D.

Pretty cool for whats essentially just a head swap. If the size wasnt gigantic it could be straight up historical.

Totally groovy! Burns the eyes a little and I'd never do it, but what a change.

I'm with Jmash. The Praetors are awesome, probably my favorite of the new batch.

Other then being like several skill levels better then me, this is pretty close to the paint scheme I use for my stormcast. I really like the green armor. I find green or coloured armor to be nicely fantastical, but still fairly grounded compared to the solid gold stuff.

YOu can find the whole thing here, but honestly I posted just about all of them. Somewhat by accident, I just got caught up in it!
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/07/expert-painters-take-on-the-dominion-stormcast-eternals-and-the-results-are-inspiring/

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2021, 03:27:31 AM »
Another simple but great looking headswap:

Old Stonebeard
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2021, 10:29:35 AM »
Giants of men!

Haha, they do look good though :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2021, 08:04:12 PM »
Some of the stormcast kitbashes look pretty sweet.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
The 'Angel knight' lady looks like great conversion material for Inquisition players

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2021, 02:09:54 PM »
They look really good just as regular foot knights.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2021, 12:37:03 PM »
I still think silver looks good, but they also could be right out of Warcraft or D&D.

If Sigmar looked like this when it came out, I prob would have jumped on board. This looks amazing.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »
Interesting discovery about Dominion. Because of how the sprues are put together you actually have a pretty large number of extra bits. The slight problem is how GW has started putting together these easy build stuff. Take the hobgoblins for example. Each sprue comes with enough to build 10 models, counting the command group of 3. But the command group can also be made into normal guys. But instead of chest and legs like how it use to be, its now split into front and back of the bodies. Take a standard bearer for example. If you make the standard you use the back body, put the front half on and boom, standard. But if you make a 'normal' guy you take the normal back, add the front part and boom. Normal guy.

Which leads to a weird result because when you finish make the 10 guys you actually have nearly 5 extra model! You have plenty of heads, 5 mostly complete bodies (Depending on how you built them) and they already have all the weapons attached. All your missing is bases (which is easy) and the front piece. To make it extra awkward the front piece is just one leg and the front armor. Its actually ridiculously easy to greenstuff a loin cloth on, fill in the big hole in the front, and make some kind of peg leg. I actually found a good picture online already.

I have very mixed feelings on this. On one hand with a bit of extra work I can actually make an extra 10 hobgoblins out of Dominion. On the other hand, it makes converting guys harder. I miss the old style of torso/legs/extremities. Made it much easier to mix and match, or kitbash. The storm cast also have a ton of extra parts, but most of the arms are designed to only fit specific bodies, the heads slot specifically into the big stormcast armor, and you end up with several "backs" with no fronts to attach them to. Meaning you'd need to sculpt almost an entire front. If somehow you do get an extra front, they often only fit specific ones which requires substantial greenstuff work.

Really weirds me out because GW still makes a huge push for kitbashing. its in all the white dwarfs and the community site constantly plays it up. But a huge number of the new kits are just designed very poorly for this. I'm being a bit unfair using Dominion here because as a starter kits its designed to be specifically easy to build (No one called out Island of Blood for being bad kitbashing), but I also notice it with tons of new GW kids. I bought the Necromunda Enforcers box to make Inqusitorial Acolytes and had the same problem.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2021, 12:03:53 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to review these figures.  It gives good detail regarding the new box set.

Much appreciated! :icon_cool: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »
Another simple but great looking headswap:

Old Stonebeard

oh i like those
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2021, 06:51:32 AM »
Those look awesome!