home

Author Topic: Imperial Guard  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Imperial Guard
« on: June 12, 2021, 09:00:37 PM »
So I wish these new box sets would have come out a year ago for the Imperial guard. Do any of you have any ideas of what else could be coming out? Im wanting to start a new IG army sometime after my Orks
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Imperial Guard
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »
It seems with Beast Snaggas and maybe new Orks we'll be getting a new Ork codex soon, and before Imperial Guard.  The IG seem only to be getting the new Gaunt's Ghost set of figures, to be used as one unit, and the new sprue inside the regular boxed set of 10 guard figures.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 12:01:42 AM »
ok that gives me time lol
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 12:14:58 AM »
Wow $45 for basically one of the most fragile units in the game. Or at least used to be.

I know few of us pay the full price but geez.

It’s not like the models have been overhauled like the Chaos Marines… they just added some heads for diversity.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 12:30:48 AM »
I'm a big fan of the new sprue, but the box went up 20 bucks here which hurts badly for something I already have literal hundreds of.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 01:20:43 AM »
yeah, I just saw that today $45 that a hefty price

I mean you can now have a distinction between vets and newbs lol 
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 03:32:05 AM »
Yep, this is why it is important to wait and not purchase yet.  At some point there will be an easier way to get the new sprue, and pay less per figure to get it.  My interests in the hobby are so wide, that I can wait a good bit, and still enjoy the hobby without paying the extra per figure for the new sprue.

I don't even have an official Guard army yet.  So it doesn't make sense for me to buy into this new box when I can continue working on my various armies and projects.  The latter includes inventorying my figures, and at the same time I am going to make 3 lists of priority ... 1st priority projects currently being worked on and needing finishing asap, 2nd priority where these will be elevated to the the 1st priority list if a project on that list is completed or there's a need to elevate due to family or friends involvement in such a project, and 3rd priority where these projects might never get done and so perhaps one day I might even sell something.

So much to do, so little time energy or money to pay for the more expensive IG currently.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 09:45:42 AM »
I do like the new sprue, I think an update could have gone a little further, it's not exactly an overhaul just a token few extra bits, but then on the whole I guess it alleviates that situation of "oh god the old ones I like are going OOP so I need to buy them ASAP". Good that they've included it in the base kit too and it's not like an upgrade sprue to buy separately, though not good in the price change. I'm guessing it's still a set of 10 as well and it's not shot up to 15-20? (ha! one can dream!)

IG are my big collection in 40K and I was actually contemplating whether to strip them back, re-head or re-arm a few guys and possibly even change my colour scheme, I think this new sprue has made my decision for me and at some point when I move back to my IG I'll definitely be ringing in the changes, it'll be a shame to lose what I'd already worked on but in the grand scheme it's not a huge amount and I can right some of the wrongs at the same time.

Fingers crossed for some other new updates too, though I'm not too sure what they could add to the existing range. Will they re-do Catachans? Would they introduce plastic kits for Valhallans, Tallarn, Mordians or maybe Tanith Ghosts? Are there any popular IG regiments knocking about in the current novel series' that might get a look-in? Scions are the new 'stormtroopers' so I doubt they'd offer any changes there. Hmm, who knows what the future holds for the humble guardsman.

Anyway, best way was always and will always be to buy IG in bulk. Get the combat patrol/ battleforce/ something fancy detachment platoon thingy whatever is current at the time and you will always save a few £££, even better if you can get them discounted in the first place.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 11:14:15 AM »
This new IG sprue seems to be a new way of giving an army some new things without destroying the old.  Except destroying the Cadian world in the fluff.  It could be worse.

As for new plastics for other IG groups, that'd be a different way to go.  Suspect that might even be well received by IG players as well as newer players.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »
I think the IG army is pretty darn amazing. I would like alternative parts though
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 04:27:40 PM »
Honestly, if I could find elephant trunk gasmask cadian heads, I would collect a Macharian Crusade army. Use some WHFB Empire bits for Macharius and his Lion Guard too.

Someone on reddit made this art piece in celebration of the Macharius Trilogy. They look amazing and I would "Crusade for the Emperor" to get these guys as models for an IG army.

Here is the cover art for the trilogy:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »
you  will have to explain this army . Im not hip to 40k Lore ....looks awesome though
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »
The Macharian Crusade was one of the largest and most effective Imperial Crusades in its history, after the Great Crusade at the start. It's HEAVILY inspired on Alexander the great (Right down to his generals squabbling over it after it ends.). The books are a very popular series and an excellent look at the Imperial Guard on crusade, along with the various other allied elements they come into contact with. I always liked the bit where a guy tries to outdrink space wolves.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 07:19:11 PM »
oh nice i will have to check out the books
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 11:29:03 PM »
Interesting.  That does sound like something that could be worth reading.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 02:41:41 AM »
I remember the first 3rd edition Imperial Guard Codex where it had maps and the special character and short blurbs about the Crusade. Then a fan made Campaign Codex came out 10 years later. The novels are more recent (I have covered them in the literature thread) and have noticed that some of the stuff in the fan made codex was brought into the books.

Here is the fan made codex:
https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/07/play-aid-macharian-crusade.html

The trilogy is written by William King (he also wrote several Space Wolf novels and is a great author) and he doesn't just use the Alexander the great analogy, but also Napoleon and a few others. Macharius is not the PoV character, but when he's around, his charisma is so overwhelming, but in a good way. You kind of get swept up with the characters in believing in and following this guy. Its a fun trilogy, and after reading the books, its fun to point out the main characters in the cover art.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 04:53:09 AM »
I've been hoarding collecting Empire and Imperial guard kits since i was 14. 

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 04:10:48 PM »
<iframe src='https://players.brightcove.net/5778310444001/tEqh4qwjNN_default/index.html?videoId=6305251787001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

im thinking these guys would make a very cool and unique force for IG
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2022, 07:27:51 PM »
I agree. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 02:39:36 AM »
I had the ingenious idea of turning the new Krieg kits into Foreign Legionaries in the tradition of old adventure stories.
I have given up as they are needlessly fiddly, overly complicated and have specific arms for rifles.
Whoever decided the coat tails and legs needed to be separate pieces should be forced to serve in the foreign legion :eusa_wall:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 01:25:35 AM »
Incoming ... new IG models are being released ...

1. Castallan of Cadia
2. Kasrkin Squad (10 models, possibly as a Killteam squad)
3. Sentinel
4. New commissar
5. New heavy weapon team

Other rumor is a new officer figure, and possibly a new special weapons squad.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 01:28:25 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2022, 07:01:12 AM »
Whats wrong with the 2003-current heavy weapons teams?
Its a great kit. Who cares if its 19 years old. There's nothing wrong with it and its super versatile.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 07:18:40 PM »
I have a few of them, and some day might even take them out of the box to paint them. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 09:40:36 AM »
Incoming ... new IG models are being released ...

1. Castallan of Cadia
2. Kasrkin Squad (10 models, possibly as a Killteam squad)
3. Sentinel
4. New commissar
5. New heavy weapon team

Other rumor is a new officer figure, and possibly a new special weapons squad.

Where has this nugget of rumour come from if I dare ask?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 11:32:05 PM »
Just whilst drifting off to sleep I had a thought...

With the recent expansion of Horus Heresy and the new influx of 'old era' models, coupled with the revival of the squats which has put a new spin on classic ideas, I wonder if GW will see the £££ signs and produce 'Heresy era' IG like an updated version of the old Rogue Traders?...