home

Author Topic: How Many Figures in Your Guard Army?  (Read 1492 times)

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
How Many Figures in Your Guard Army?
« on: October 24, 2021, 10:31:14 PM »
Wondering how many figures do folks typically have for their Imperial Guard army?

Realize that when making an army list, the point total being used could govern this.  Feel free to provide what your typically using in different point lists like 1K, 1.5K, and 2K or whatever.  However, I'm also interested in learning how many total Guard infantry figures you have, including regular troops, command, figures being used for heavy weapons, that kind of thing.

Cheers! :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: How Many Figures in Your Guard Army?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 04:02:34 AM »
How many guardsmen do i have :icon_redface:
I've been collecting Imperial guard for as long as i've been collecting Empire :biggriin:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 04:37:30 PM »
Easy - too many, but never enough...  :unsure: :::cheers:::

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 02:07:54 AM »
Oh you two younguns are certainly entertaining, if not helpful, and at least providing forewarning.  Except age and experience has already provided your humorous take on this topic. :icon_wink:  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 06:38:56 PM »
Always happy to help :wink: :::cheers:::

My army doesn't see the tabletop so I don't actually keep track of the points and numbers as closely as some others might. As with my Empire I have always been HEAVILY infantry-centric so I really do have way too many... but still need more :-P

They are so easy to get carried away with, from memory a single choice on an army list, in reality constitutes a command squad, multiple squads of infantry AND a few heavy support units sooo just one choice on the list can be like 30-50men right there!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 09:30:26 PM »
I usually play 1000 pt games, but I long ago gave up buying/building things based on the army, and just go for fluff reasons. Since all my gaming buddies are in the same court, it means my "Guard Army" includes quite a bit of technically not guard stuff. But to keep things a bit more official here I'll boot up my spreadsheet and have a look.

At the moment I have 2 different guard armies I keep somewhat separate. The first, the Ignee Frateris Expeditionary Force was formerly my brothers guard army. He sold it to me when he was clearing space, but I keep it together for when he wants to have a game or something.

Its almost exactly 1000 points, and clocks in at 76 "figures". (So 1 figure could be either 1 infantry guy or 1 tank.)

After that I have the 1st Canadiana Regiment "Simcoe's Wardens", A Company. Numbering 215 figures and 2795 points. (This one has more wiggle room because it includes equipment which changes each edition, where as the first army is just units. Still changes each edition but not as much.)

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 11:58:43 PM »
So with Gankom's number, and the other two blokes vagueness, beginning to sense ya need a lot to have a Guard army! :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 04:51:00 PM »
So with Gankom's number, and the other two blokes vagueness, beginning to sense ya need a lot to have a Guard army! :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

The proverbial meat for the grinder.

But I'll stop with the meat metaphors before things get weird... more meat, not enough meat etc. and so on :engel:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 10:31:54 PM »
Guard is actually a very much jack of all trades army. My buddy has a stormtrooper guard list thats 1000 points and around 30 guys plus some vehicles. On the other end of the spectrum were the infamous conscript armies of 8th edition that might have 2-300 guys for 1000 points. In between are various mechanized armies. Either mobile infantry, that usually ran me around 50-70 guys, or tank heavy which would be about half of that. Thats the nice thing about guard. You have pretty much every possible tool in your toolbox and what you run is very much up to you.

The downside is that in the current edition they're not good enough at any particular tool to really carry the day. Guard is really hurting for close combat related stuff. They really struggled to hold an objective in the face of a determined assault, and if they do get pushed off, they then struggle to take it back. I've seen bullgryns get used for this a lot but they're to expensive. I've had some luck with Scion stormtroopers but requires some tricksy moving.

Online GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 11:08:11 PM »
Good info there Gankom, thanks  a bunch! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 03:02:26 AM »
Depends on your army I suppose. I am building a Catachan (or may a smaller Vostroyan) army for my winter/stuck inside/next round of quarantine project. I plan on including around 40 or so infantry, plus a duo of scout sentinels and a chimera for my veterans. All equipped with flamers of course,  gotta keep it fluffy! Including a heavy weapons platoon, that's around 50 or so models.

What can I say I'm keeping it small.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 06:51:54 AM by Captain Dob Van Dwi »
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 07:09:17 AM »
It depends on what you want to do! You could go for an armoured column with the  bare minimum of boots on the ground. My 1000 points list had about...70 pairs of boots with 2 chimeras, a demolisher, and a basilisk.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls