home

Author Topic: Witch Hunter Question  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Witch Hunter Question
« on: September 15, 2022, 09:02:37 PM »
Strange question but my WFB brain is probably getting a little fogged with Witcher lore from playing Wild Hunt again recently...

Anyhu... in WFB lore, would a Witch Hunter have any qualms about using a flaming (magic) sword or is that altogether too daemonic for their liking? To be clear I'm only concerned about lore, not in-game tabletop weapon options.

I'm planning a nice little conversion so could do with knowing before I head too far down the rabbit hole.

:blush:

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Witch Hunter Question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 04:58:41 AM »
If its a 'blessed' weapon he will surly be able to use it.
I just picked up the Nethermaze Witch hunter set and I'm planning on making an objective marker for him; comprised of 'evidence' the evidence being an old broom and cauldron 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 11:59:12 AM »
Cool idea, with the broom and cauldron.

And coming up with a story for the sword works, except watch out for those other witch hunters trying to rise in the organization.  They'll use whatever they find politically expedient to rise above who they see as their rivals, and claim it is a demonic device.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 02:07:11 PM »
Hmm that's what's got me querying it,  would a fervent veteran, dare I say 'famous' witch hunter be so bold as to use something so arcane?

If not magic it could always be just a flaming sword like Vin Diesel's in The Last Witch Hunter! :-P

Because fire is the light that burns the heretic and purifies the soul!  ::heretic::

Hmm any more thoughts guys?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 02:13:53 PM »
I'm trying to find a suitable mini to turn into a 'witch' ala Monty Python

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 02:28:14 PM »
Ha!  Didn't even know there was such a movie ... "The Last Witchhunter".  Was it any good?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 03:55:57 PM »
Hmm that's what's got me querying it,  would a fervent veteran, dare I say 'famous' witch hunter be so bold as to use something so arcane?

If not magic it could always be just a flaming sword like Vin Diesel's in The Last Witch Hunter! :-P

Don't forget: the WP prayer Soulfire grants Flaming Attacks. So, a flaming sword would be nothing arcane, but a blessing of Sigmar and proof of the WH's strength of faith. 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 10:56:38 PM »

Don't forget: the WP prayer Soulfire grants Flaming Attacks. So, a flaming sword would be nothing arcane, but a blessing of Sigmar and proof of the WH's strength of faith.

Aha! Excellent point Fidelis! That's just the ticket then, it's not arcane daemon flame, it's not just an oiled blade set alight (as in the Vin Diesel movie) but it is righteous holy flame as a blessing from Sigmar himself! ::heretic:: :biggriin:

Ha!  Didn't even know there was such a movie ... "The Last Witchhunter".  Was it any good?

Been a while since I watched it tbh but I remember it being vaguely ok, a good 'take your brain out ' kinda film where you just sit back and enjoy the action without questioning things too closely.

Other good Witch Hunting films whilst we're on the subject include Solomon Kane and Black Death.  :::cheers:::

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Re: Witch Hunter Question #2
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 11:03:36 PM »
Ok so second question since we're talking Witch Hunters...

I'm assembling a small contingent for a Witch Hunter army of sorts, including a number of WFB WH models of various ages, the mordheim warband and some of the latest additions like Hexbane's hunters, the guy from Cursed City and the Ven Denst pair.

Anyway, they're also going to have a block of Death's Heads halberdiers and a detachment of ranged backup,  question therefore being; is a small WH force more likely to be supported by handgunners or crossbows :icon_question:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 11:10:21 PM »
Crossbows.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 10:58:49 AM »
Yeah, crossbows.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 07:59:06 PM »
Seems unanimous so far!

I was leaning heavily towards crossbows myself too so I guess this re-affirms my thinking  :::cheers:::

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 03:34:36 AM »
Anyway, they're also going to have a block of Death's Heads halberdiers and a detachment of ranged backup,  question therefore being; is a small WH force more likely to be supported by handgunners or crossbows :icon_question:

Do you have a source for the Death's Head heads to use? I've wanted to create a DH unit for a while now.

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 08:40:17 AM »
There is the Uniforms and Heraldry of the Empire (p.68}.

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 09:09:01 PM »
I meant, actual model heads or models.

Offline endtransmission

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2022, 06:58:17 PM »
For Death's Head miniatures I'm using the highlands Miniatures halberds, but taking the heads from their Greatsword set and adding a skull from this skull ring in blender.

Offline Borderguy190

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 08:05:17 PM »
For Death's Head miniatures I'm using the highlands Miniatures halberds, but taking the heads from their Greatsword set and adding a skull from this skull ring in blender.

Thanks! Might have to give that a try. Ive got a resin printer... Now to figure out Blender

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2023, 09:15:24 PM »
Do you have a source for the Death's Head heads to use? I've wanted to create a DH unit for a while now.

Sorry for the late response,  I've not logged on for quite some time!

I was planning to torture myself by chopping the 'face' off the GW half skulls (from a massive sprue of skulls for scenery) and fit them to standard state troops as the skull masks.

I have however also seen that Grimforge sells a set of Death's Heads err... heads with the skull masks and general death-y motifs etc.