home

Author Topic: [AoS] 750 point beginner's tournament army  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Leonard

• Members
[AoS] 750 point beginner's tournament army
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
Here's the first list I've put together after many, many years to join my first beginner's tournament of 750 points at the local GW store. Hoping to get some feedback!

Grand Master (100)
3 Demigryph Knights (200)
5 Empire Knights (140)
10 Handgunners (100)
10 Guard (can be either spearmen or swordsmen - 80)
1 Helblaster (120)
Total: 740

I'm sure the Helblaster is too unreliable for a game of this size (no Gunmaster involved), but it could bring some fun to the game, especially since this is just a beginner's tournament. The handgunners should form a small gunline along the Helblaster, with the Guard there to cover them in case fast troops want to engage them in combat.

The Grand Master will party with the Demigryph's and Knights, making sure all Knights can both run and charge and get into combat as soon as possible.

Thoughts and critique is more than welcome! Thanks in advance :::cheers:::

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
Re: [AoS] 750 point beginner's tournament army
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 12:27:04 AM »
I know nothing really about AoS.

But with all lists it's good to think about the purpose of units as you've done. 
Do you think that 10 guard and 10 handgunners will really be able to repel your opponents war-machine hunters?
What will your opponents likely use to destroy it?
Is there even any point in guarding it?
Is there something else that could do the job more efficiently?
Do I need handgunners when I already have a Helblaster?

I don't know that answer to these questions but as long as you've asked them then you're hopefully on the right track.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Leonard

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:02:53 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

I don't know what armies I'll be facing, or what they'll use to challenge the Helblaster. I guess it might make more sense to field another 10 handgunners, or mabye 10 crossbowmen (I have to field 2 battleline units) and weaking the enemy by shooting before they are able to charge. If the warmachine-hunting units are heavy hitters, my cavalery will have to intercept them.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »
it's a bit difficult to access this list.

It's a bit of everything and not really focusing on the available synergies.
Like you said the helblaster would like a gunmaster, but also the guard and even more so the handgunners would like the free people general for hold the line and greatswords would even benefit more from him.
And the newest warscroll of the Demigryph Knights loose the Knightly Order keyword and thus "officially" can't bnefit anymore from the grandmaster.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Leonard

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
Thanks StealthKnightSteg for your feedback! You were spot on with your remarks. I've played two games with this list during the tournament: the first against an Empire force with 2 units of 10 Greatswords who hacked my army to pieces after I failed charges on them (the dice were not in my favour in this match). The battle was basically lost the moment his Greatswords were able to smash into my expensive units. Also, my Helblaster proved to be unreliable, failing two turns in a row.

The second battle was against Wood Elves/Sylvaneth, and fortunately I was able to wipe them off the table completely. The Helblaster did it's job and destroyed some important units. The cavalery advanced together and the Demigryphs were doing proper damage.

For my next matches, I'll focus on a more balanced army. It sure was great to play again after so many years!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
please post your new lists so I can look at them :)
at least you had fun, thats the best part :)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989