home

Author Topic: The Stir River Patrol  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Creasy

• Members
The Stir River Patrol
« on: November 18, 2023, 05:25:52 AM »
This forum has been an incredible source of ideas and inspiration for me for my entire hobbying life, so I'm starting this thread to hopefully give back in some small way.

I'll be posting my pictures and fluff of an ongoing project somewhat erratically, but please feel free to chime in with thoughts and questions or whatever else!

Without further ado, I present: The Stir River Patrol.

First off the rank is a conversion I conceived of  years before I could get my hands on the minis, and I am so stoked to have finally finished. My Captasus, Captain Egbert Von Ente and his trusty steed, Duck.

Offline b0007452

• Members
Re: The Stir River Patrol
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 07:47:40 AM »
Awesome work mate, it’s such a great mini - Always loved his expression.

Look forward to seeing more  :icon_biggrin:
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 12:17:06 PM »
Great job. Two thumbs up.
I'm forever kicking myself for not picking up more of those Mordheim kits when i had the chance

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 03:39:46 AM »
Outstanding!

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to poiasting on W-E! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Creasy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 06:05:39 AM »
I got some more work done on this project, and these brave lads are finally in a finished-ish state (I think I might change the banner to something larger later on, but for now it'll do). particularly happy with the thematic little unit filler here, and I've always loved this captain model, but for the moment he's a simple Unit Champion. the detachment is made up of a slightly recoloured Mordheim warband I used this year.

The Stir's First Swords "The Blackfish"
 -24 Swordsmen /w Full Command
      -12 Free Company

These stalwart veterans have been led for the past ten years by Rufio Jager, a man of dubious character but unrivalled swordsmanship. The scourge and bane of poachers, pirates, and bandits alike, they are known for their grit and determination, and are exceptionally well drilled in boarding actions on the river. When there is need, they tend to recruit their detachments from old ex-soldiers in the taverns of Wurtbad.

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 10:33:28 AM »
Very well done, indeed!

Awesome work mate, it’s such a great mini - Always loved his expression.

I always thought that he was based on the "Knight of the Sad Countenance." 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 04:54:08 PM »
I’ll be honest - I had to look up who/what that was  :lol:

Great work on that unit Creasy! Very, very well painted and the unit filler is great - Very thematic. Look forward to seeing more  :-D
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Online Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 08:33:24 PM »
From one of my favourite movies, since I was a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRk0oRF2qmM

Equipped, of course, with the Golden Helmet of Mambrino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ8iZu-BAVM

https://youtu.be/qJsK5fq5xWA?t=79
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 04:13:30 AM »
Great job, very characterful. It would be great to see this level of effort put into tournament armies.
If worse comes to worse, i guess they can use the boat to absorb incoming arrows or drop on the feet of their enemies.

Oh and in that video, I'm amused at Quixote's companion receiving the sword from the noble only to hand it back

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 09:41:45 AM »
Loving the swordsmen & that pegasus rider.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Creasy

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 07:35:53 AM »
updates!

The Stir's Second Swords

24 Swordsmen /w full command
 (detachments to come)

The Second Swords are the perfect counterpart to their sister-regiment, The Blackfish. Where the Blackfish are bold, they are reserved, where reckless, they are conservative, where a touch wild, they are disciplined. These two have coexisted in the River Patrol for decades, and work quite well together.
The Second swords are widely known amongst The Patrol to have an exceptionally low casualty-rate, and so there's tough competition for positions amongst their ranks. Many a parent in Wurtbad has breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing their son has joned the Second Swords.

Offline Creasy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 07:37:44 AM »
Elector Count-in-waiting, a young Alberich Haupt-Anderssen, as he served as an officer in the River Patrol.

Offline SaintofM

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 05:02:06 AM »
Just have to say, I love the Angler Fish on the one banner. Its awsome. Also nice to see the one Captain with the severed Orc Head at its feet (that one I got free from one of the magazines when they were showing off then new minies so that one brings a smile to my face).

I do like the use of green on the recent lord picture, it makes things stand out

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 11:34:01 PM »
And after slaying a few swordsmen, the enemy are going to have to contend with the ogre and his masonry club
P.S Great job on the squid banner

Offline Orfeo_Culzean

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2023, 09:22:24 AM »
I'm a fan of your style!
Great choice of colors and hilarious freehands.
I'll save the idea for a unit's filler with a boat for my Nordlanders too
- Boredom for the soul is more dangerous than the risk to the body -

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 04:44:29 PM »
Fabulous stuff happening here! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2023, 03:39:47 PM »
Agreed! Awesome work. That Octopus Banner is beautiful!

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 11:27:05 PM »
Absolutely loving the content pal, great to see a PLog flourishing on here in 2024  :-D

Offline Archilector_Malaga

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 08:48:16 AM »
Excellent work! There's dedication there and a very original concept for the army. Congrats!

Offline HelmutVonSmutt

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2024, 12:11:32 PM »
Honestly i love this so much!
The unit filler is incredible the paint job is super cool im a big fan of this army

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2024, 07:45:50 PM »
Amazing work, so full of character! And that sword on your elector count is just jaw-dropping.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2024, 04:26:06 PM »
Wowsers!!! Absolutely love this army. Brilliant :-)

The freehand on the banners is stunning, sir!

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2024, 11:22:20 PM »
These are incredible! I love the River Patrol theme... so creatively and well executed.

As someone who spent most of last night trying to design (never mind paint) a banner, I am truly envious of your freehand skills!

Fantastic, keep it up!

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2024, 05:04:02 PM »

First off the rank is a conversion I conceived of  years before I could get my hands on the minis, and I am so stoked to have finally finished. My Captasus, Captain Egbert Von Ente and his trusty steed, Duck.

I have both these models but my knight is glued to his old horse. Im tempted to pop him off...
Did you have to bend his legs or anything to make him fit? I'd love to be able to swap him out with the Gelt Model.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Creasy

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2024, 10:23:25 PM »

I have both these models but my knight is glued to his old horse. Im tempted to pop him off...
Did you have to bend his legs or anything to make him fit? I'd love to be able to swap him out with the Gelt Model

Ah yeah... About that... I didn't want to do too much to the knight's legs, but I *did* have to take a Dremel to the Pegasus, and really grind out a spot for him to sit in 😬😬😬
Absolutely not for the faint of heart, and I wouldn't recommend, but I had my heart set on this conversion!