home

Author Topic: Estalians, Tileans, Ogres, Dwarves added  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
Estalians, Tileans, Ogres, Dwarves added
« on: July 19, 2021, 01:57:33 PM »
Maybe I should start in the re-introduction topic.  :icon_redface: hmmm.

After not adding to the brush and pallet for so long I think I let my old blog rest and simply make an update of the last couple off years. So  here follows the re-introduction off my Estalian Army and the beginning of my Dogs of War Tilean army. Both meant to be used with Hail Ceasar warhammer rules or with Pike and Shotte rules.

The Estalian Army

The Contessa and her advisors and commanders!

The bodyguard of the Contessa

Tercio 1

Tercio 2

Tercio 3

Tercio 4

The heavy Cavalry

The Light Cavalry

The Artillery and the Artillery train.

Some time ago I decided to paint also an adversary army so I would be able to play pike and shotte as a solo game or with a friend.

The growing Tilean Army first picture still an empty canvas, an army in the making. 4 off the sleeves I actually added to the Estalians, they can be found on the pics above.

the two blocks of pike on the front are now 20 each and completly white and two sleeves of 8 handgunners are waiting to be painted. And well, yes I am not done.

sofar the results of painting.

Rico's Republican Guard and two landsknecht sleeves.

Alcantani's fellowship with 4 sleeves of handgunners.

some artillery

sofar the update for you folks knowing the army, for the new viewers, I hope you enjoy what you see.

I will post an update in a year or four I guess.....  :-P

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:02:11 PM by Henerius »
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Estalian steel and Tilean resolve
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
Looks like a great two army project, congrats! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:46:02 PM »
Really great stuff. I for one hope it won't take 1-4 years until you update.

Where are the shields from on the barded heavy cav units?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 07:42:02 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »
Where are the shields from on the barded heavy cav units?

From mailorder when it still existed. It is the shield of the bodybuilder dow general on foot (lorenzo lupo).
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 08:47:28 AM »
Ace!

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 10:01:31 AM »
What a holliday in corona time can do to a (normally missing :icon_rolleyes:) painting schedule. So not a couple off years but a week or so later an update. :biggriin:

A foppish merchant prince and 3 units of knights and warhound unit fillers.
The merchant prince is a model of a knight with greatsword and he wears a crown. he has the little stump for a shield, but I desided not to give him one.  The knights are Voland venators incomplete and converted to Estalian looking knights. The sword armed knights should give me the opportunity to field them as greatweapon wielding (aka white wolves rules) but that is not necessary offcourse.

Two units of pike with each a sleeve of handgunners

Sofar I have enough units for both armies. I might actually build up a battlefield and start playing a game or two.  :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
Excellent. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 03:09:47 AM »
Great job.  :eusa_clap:
Puts my Conquistador army to shame :blush:

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2021, 01:36:11 PM »
Well, I did have time!  Did a solo game to learn some rules. Next battle probably will take less time. :-)

A Hail Caesar rules try out.

The armies

The Red Army (Estalia)

1st Division Infantry (1st division leader is the General)
1 normal (size) unit of Pikemen
1 normal unit of Halberdeers
2 small (size) units of Handgunners
1 small Cannon

2nd Division Infantry
2 normal units of Pikemen
2 small units of Handgunners
1 small Cannon

3rd Division Cavalry
2 normal units Knights
1 normal unit Pistoliers

The Blue Army (Tileans)

1st Division Infantry (1st division leader is the General)
1 small Cannon

2nd Division Infantry
1 small Cannon

3rd Division Cavalry
2 normal units Heavy Cavalry
1 normal unit Hunting Hounds (Light Cavalry)

The Battlefield

First turn.
Bleu army starts - nothing bad happens, all troops listen to there leaders and the 3 Divisions advance on the table.
Red Army -  The Cavalry Division does not want to listen to it's commander and the Division stands still on the starting point.

Second Turn
Bleu Army - Infantry Division 2 fails to advance, the Cavalry is way in the front and the General is following with his 1st Divison
Red Army - The General fails to lead his 1st Division forward, 2nd Divison is moving on and spreading the line to fill the gap between both forests.

Third Turn
Bleu Army - The Cavalry Division is forming a line in the centre (seems the right thing to do), 1st Inf Division is forming a line behind the Cavalry, 2nd Inf Division is obeying there leader again and advance to the homestead on the left flank.
Red Army -  The General blunders! He rolls a double 6 followed by a 1 which means run of the table directly... jeez that is end off game really soon.  I started reading and found out that the General can make one re-roll per turn. So instead of a double 6 he got one move to make instead.  Cavalry moved to the right flank possitioning them selves on top of a hill. Inf Division 2 continues their slow but steady approach of the enemy.

Fourth Turn
Bleu Army - The Cavalry Division splits up, the warhounds run forward and end up on the flank off a Pikemen unit of Red's 2nd Division. The Heavy Cavalry lines up the charge the enemy Knights head on. 1st Division moves forward and fires the first rounds of musket balls into the enemy, 2nd division moves forward and shoots at the pistoliers with the Handgunners, both Cannon deploy.
Red Army - The Pistoliers move forward and exchange fire with the Handgunners, the Knights move up the hill and line up to meet the challenge off the Heavy Cavalry, 1st division tries to charge the warhaounds, failed charge by the pikes, the rest off the division does nothing while the general powders his nose... again.  2nd Division starts exchanging musketfire with the opponent and deploys the Cannon.

Fifth Turn
Blue Army - Heavy Cavalry charge, failed. The Warhounds attack the side of the pike unit and score almost enough for the regiment to get broken. 2nd Division' Pike units continue the advance, the handgunners keep shooting at the Pistoliers. 1st Division is moving all infantry in one line and the hammering off the opposing Red 2nd Division continues with the Cannons opening fire and the handgunners shooting away.
Red Army - Cavalry charge and counter charge off course, both sides clash into each other, both blue regiments win the encounter and one manages to push the red regiment back up the hill. 1st Division Pike regiment manages to charge the warhounds in the flank, both Pike regiments fight the warhounds to almost 9 wounds in total but the warhounds manage to get the Pike from 2nd Division Shaken. The Warhounds roll a double 6 on their break test and move out of combat, followed by the 1st Division Pike (a recount later on made me remove the warhounds completely, note to self, pikes are not healthy) 1st Division actually manages to move! Hurray!

Blue - Cavalry Division has 1 destroyed Regiment (Warhounds)
Red - 2nd Division has 1 shaken Regiment (Pike)

Sixth Turn
Blue Army - Heavy Cavalry and Knights fight a sustained battle by the hill top. One heavy cavalry regiment gets routed and the Division gets broken. 2nd Inf Division fails the Leadership. 1st Division Pike advance and the Cannon and Handgunners keep pounding the enemy.
Red Army - Cavalry Division fails the leadership (moving to support the knights still in combat.) 2nd Division moves a Handgunner unit as speedbump forward. 1st Division manages to arrive as a second battle line behind 2nd Division.

Blue - Cavalry Division is broken
Red -2nd Division has 2 shaken regiments (1 Pike and 1 shot to pieces unit of Handgunner)

Seventh Turn
Bleu Army - The last regiment of the Cavalry Division loses and breaks as well. 2nd Division is moving the pike forward towards the Knights, but more orders fail. 1st Division goes on an all out assault and charges both handgunner units off Red 2nd Division and wipe out one off them. The other Pike unit and handgunner support unit roll so badly that they draw with the Handgunners. All three regiments have to take a break test and all three break in the proces... (what are the odds?)
Red Army - The Cavalry Division fails leadership. 2nd Division moves the shaken pike Division backwards, 1st Division replaces 2nd Division on the frontline.

Blue - Cavalry Divsion and 1st Divion Broken (due to the lost cause, Blue retreats losing the battle)
Red - 2nd Division is broken.

Red Army Victory!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:47:23 PM by Henerius »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 02:20:37 PM »
Is that table set up  in your ofice? :icon_wink:

That looks grand!  Where do you live?  I'll take Tilea when I arrive for a re-match! :icon_biggrin: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 07:32:32 PM »
We changed the attic into a mancave.  :biggriin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 09:10:16 PM »
 :icon_lol: :::cheers::: :eusa_clap:

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »
How did you find the rules?

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 02:14:07 AM »
There is a shadow storm project on facebook.  You can download the PDF's for free there.

It has a summary on which Shadow Storm is different then Hail Caesar, how to add the stuff that makes Shadow Storm the fantasy variant of Hail Caesar.
I personally played Hail caesar with the addition of some 5 year old PDF's back from the days when they started the project.  They called it warhammer Hail Caesar or something similar, so I just started trying those rules.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 11:13:40 AM »
Haven't heard of Shadow Storm.  Perhaps because it was on facebum.  However, it seems like from your excellent battle report that it does the job.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2021, 12:56:41 AM »
Haven't heard of Shadow Storm. 

Try the warhammer empire-historical games forum part. First page bottom, the post of zygmund I believe.

My search started off with "hail caesar warhammer" via zygmunds post I google-fu my way to fb. :-P

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 01:00:17 AM by Henerius »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 05:48:59 PM »
Now known as Storm Shadow. The main designer wanted to publish his own game 'Shadow Storm' based on different rules. Napoleonics. Confusing situation. Obviously, no-one is planning to publish the Shadow Storm/Storm Shadow based on Hail Caesar.

Yes, I think the files for building army lists are only in the FB group.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 08:09:11 AM »
Now known as Storm Shadow. The main designer wanted to publish his own game 'Shadow Storm' based on different rules. Napoleonics. Confusing situation. Obviously, no-one is planning to publish the Shadow Storm/Storm Shadow based on Hail Caesar.

Yes, I think the files for building army lists are only in the FB group.

-Z
Reminds me of one of the main villains from G.I.JOE

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
Re: Estalian steel and Tilean resolve and a pinch of Ogre
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 06:31:05 PM »
Some seemingly random models to show. Seemingly because in Kings of War Ogres are being helped by Goblin "fleabag riders" and Wolves are fleabags so to say.
So in Kings of War an army in Warhammer a loosely allied army in "forces of destruction nowadays."

Another feature in 6th ed. except for the Butchers and the "not named" goblin riders, all have the "Dogs of War" ability.

Further - The mix in styles of painting: the goblins are bought or swapped and none are by my hand, the rest is painted in a period of roughly 20 years and there is a pleasant surprise in there as well, hence the difference in styles, paint type, etc.

Goblins
2 small scout units

2 ranked units

Khazak Khan and Oglah Khan's Hobgoblin wolfboyz

Giants of Albion

Golfag's Ogres

5th ed Skragg the slaughterer (full plate armour ogre) 2 Butchers and a Giant

5th ed Ogres

Chaos Ogres

Ogre Batallion
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 06:44:33 PM by Henerius »

Offline Stefan_von_Kessel

• Members
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 07:42:33 PM »
Impressive horde of the steppe!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2023, 07:56:30 PM »
Love all those figures, excellent! :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2023, 03:58:52 AM »
Great work!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2023, 05:58:13 PM »