home

Author Topic: Ancient Myths and Stories ...  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Re: Ancient Myths and Stories ...
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2021, 01:36:03 AM »
Which Ushabti bit the sand so to speak? I always liked the Tomb Kings range, but their play style on the TT seemed too complicated to me.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »
Which Ushabti bit the sand so to speak? I always liked the Tomb Kings range, but their play style on the TT seemed too complicated to me.
Djaf is armless. I like to imagine he shouted out 'I regret nothing' as he fell.

Despite being honoured by the ancient Egyptians, my cats seem to be blessed by Loki as all they want to do is cause mischief. It might explain why they have no interest in knocking the Space Wolves about.
In regards to the table top. If you arm the troops with poison bows, they can hit & run the enemy to dust

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2021, 03:32:31 PM »
6 things about the Trojan War that most movies and media leave out and show that they never read the Iliad or Odyssey.

1) It was not a siege. The concept of a siege didn't exist yet. The Greeks stayed along the shore in camps with their boats.

2) It wasn't just the Trojans versus the Greeks (Achaeans). Troy had many allies that showed up for the war that they numbered just as many warriors as the Greeks (Achaeans). In fact the entire 2nd chapter of the Iliad is about listing all of them. Its probably the most boring chapter. They typically had a huge encampment outside the city walls since the city could not quarter all of them.

3) Achilles isn't even the best fighter/character/person of the Greek (Achaeans) forces. Diomedes is probably the best since he killed just as many dudes, stabbed two gods (without consequences), went on stealth missions out of boredom, and survived the war and became King of Argos and colonized bits of Italy. Achilles is just the most "tragic" hero and so he gets the most fanfare.

4) It takes place not long after Jason of Jason and the Argonauts became king. His kingdom makes regular trips to the Greeks (Achaeans) to trade and keep the war going by offering supplies in exchange for war trophies and spoils (captured horses, armor, weapons, chariots, etc). There are also several literal sons of Hercules fighting in the war too. So the War takes place one generation after Hercules.

5) Helen didn't even want to go with Paris (Alexandros), she was hypnotized by Aphrodite and wanted to return to Menelaus but Aphrodite threatened to make the rest of her life a living hell if she did. Paris (Alexandros) left his nymph wife, Oenone, for Helen. Which makes one wonder why he was so tempted by Aphrodite's offer for the golden apple as it was described to be a loving marriage. I think he was just being an idiot.

6) The Iliad and the Odyssey are just the oldest and most complete versions of the story that we have. The Iliad takes place in the 9th year of the war and the Odyssey takes place in the 10th but there is suppose to be a book/stories in between them (That introduce Memnon, King of Ethiopia that comes to aid the Trojans as well as the Amazons) and several proceeding them. The epic was rewritten in the 6th or 7th century BC (long after Homer) in the epic "The Aethiopis" which is also now lost, but fragments of it has been found (which is why we know about Memnon and the Amazons).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 03:35:56 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 09:30:30 AM »
I would say that Ajax outclasses Diomedes but other than that, you make excellent points that people often do not realise.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2021, 09:29:16 AM »
Imagine if we would find some preserved copy of the other books such as the one about Memnon and his Ethiopians in the library of Herulaneum or Pompeji. Those places are probably our best chance.

Truth be told, the more stories we could find about the Kingdom or Kush/Nubia that is not seen through an Egyptian lens would be highly interesting. They are hands down the most less known civilisation that was active through the entire ancient period, that everyone knew about and yet is so forgotten. After all, for all their huff and puff the Egyptians had to fight them all the time to maintain somekind of overlordship. But I think their language is not translated yet, so almost all we hear comes from their neighbours.

Heck, besides the germanic people and the Persians they were among the few that actually made the romans feel compelled not to try and conquer them. The romans did fight and had success but it seems the fierce warrior queen who led the kushites at the time was both a good fighter and politican. And the ferocity of her and her soldiers, especially after her son had fallen in battle, seems to have made the romans feel that a large scale campaign would simply be too costly in money and roman blood.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2021, 08:19:23 AM »
The Romans never conquered my people.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2021, 01:28:43 PM »
We can thank Hollywood for a lot of misconceptions about history.
I don't think running up a duelling in staircase, wearing plate armour with a sword is possible.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2021, 02:23:40 PM »
If its properly fitted plate armour, yes.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2021, 11:01:55 PM »
If its properly fitted plate armour, yes.
Are there any accounts of well-choreographed, one-on-one duels in the history of warfare or is it something else Hollywood has invented?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2021, 02:28:15 PM »
Well-choreographed is a bit of a sticking word since by its very definition its planned out ahead of time. Most duels as I recall were over rather quickly. Maybe 5-10 minutes before someone was really hurt. With armour, probably longer and be more akin to watching a boxing match since you could trade blows and keep fighting.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2021, 11:57:24 AM »
Well-choreographed is a bit of a sticking word since by its very definition its planned out ahead of time. Most duels as I recall were over rather quickly. Maybe 5-10 minutes before someone was really hurt. With armour, probably longer and be more akin to watching a boxing match since you could trade blows and keep fighting.
I'm now imagining historical figures duelling and smack-talking each other ala Hollywood cliches

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2021, 02:05:53 PM »
I'm now imagining historical figures duelling and smack-talking each other ala Hollywood cliches

Smacktalking, you say?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2022, 02:52:16 PM »
A fun picking apart of Disney's "Hercules."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvjeXN_BWkE
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2022, 01:21:08 AM »
^ I was half expecting it to be the one where Doug Walker flips out about Athens, imitating Vegas

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2022, 01:24:02 AM »
^ I was half expecting it to be the one where Doug Walker flips out about Athens, imitating Vegas

I know you mentioned watching the PlayStation Game for Hercules and seeing the Oney Plays of it, and I loved that they addressed Doug Walkers insane criticism of Hercules looking like Vegas. HE JUST DOESN'T GET IT!

:icon_lol:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2022, 08:22:37 AM »

I know you mentioned watching the PlayStation Game for Hercules and seeing the Oney Plays of it, and I loved that they addressed Doug Walkers insane criticism of Hercules looking like Vegas. HE JUST DOESN'T GET IT!

:icon_lol:
Historical accuracies aside, i think the Disney Hercules movie is fine. EVEN