home

Author Topic: why the halberd hate?  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
Re: why the halberd hate?
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »
I think the fluffy aspect of halberds is drawn more from RL examples, as halberds tended to be used amongst pike units.  The main problem is the game rules probably don't accurately reflect how the weapons would be used in real life, so you end up with this disconnect between what the fluff is trying to do and what players are willing to use to win.

The Swiss started out using halberds first, I believe, and then the pike eventually replaced the halberd as their main weapon.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 11:54:48 PM »

From what I've read, they never completely replaced the halberd, even when they switched to a majority of pike.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 09:22:41 AM »
Indeed it was never totally replaced until late 16th early 17th century. But then it functioned as a weapon for corporal and sergeants, and other kinds of shorter polearms where carried by officers as badge of rank.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »
They die as fast as my zombies do, since their 6+ save is gone pretty fast, so i never field them in blocks. Detachments are fine... but without shields!
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1