home

Author Topic: 6th ed - starting replaying the best edition  (Read 27933 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: 6th ed - starting replaying the best edition
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
These were the days. The writing, the art, the rules. Not to mention the WFRP 2nd edition, which took the lore and some modified rules from the 6th edition WFB.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
Let's do this next bash guys.
Back to what happened at the very first one. Everybody plays 6th....
Some for 1500 points, others for 2000. Sometimes even at the same battle....
Back to 6th.
Looks like those old books might come in handy! Time to start prepare and rebase units, so I will be ready bye the next bash.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 06:51:29 PM »
These were the days. The writing, the art, the rules. Not to mention the WFRP 2nd edition, which took the lore and some modified rules from the 6th edition WFB.

True, there was a lot of great stuff about 6th. The setting especially. It felt somehow smaller, more intimate. There was less crazy magic and monsters, the whole world seemed more grounded and, in a sense, closer to our reality.

In comparison, 8th was more bombastic, there was crazy stuff at every corner and only 1 forest in 6 didn't try to murder you. Every other river you tried and dipped your toe in was magical. I remember that I didn't like that at all. I was like "okay, but how does this world function. How are crops gathered if every bit of land is cursed/magical. How does trade work, how is travelling by sea even possible if chances of being eaten by a kraken are like 99%". 6th didn't have that. It was still magical but it was a bit more like the Song of Ice and Fire world. Much more logical and easier to understand.

It's hard to root for an empire dude with a halberd, if you know that it's a normal occurence that whole cities disappear overnight due to demonic incursions. Reading the End Times fluff was just painful. It was all like this "And then THIS crazy occurrence happened, which was followed by ANOTHER even CRAZIER occurrence". Really hard to relate to, at least for me. Stuff like this is good for 40k where the scale is larger.

Not to say that 8th was all bad. I liked a lot of the rules changes between 6th and 8th.  Enyone remember being broken because you lost the fight to skeletons and there was one more of them than you? No break test, just wooosh! Off you go! Or no step up. Heyyy I know you wanted to roll some dice, well your fron rank is dead sooorry. Halberds being next to usless in 6th and 7th due to this.

I think I could play both: 6th for smaller battles, like 1000-1500 points, 8th for 2500-3000 epic battles, with killer monsters and spells.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:17:23 AM by The Black Knight »
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
What The Black Knight said. The Empire armybook wasn't spared either. We got knights riding monstrous mounts and self-propelled magical contraptions, while the common state trooper was stomped into the curd. I never played a single game of it.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 02:12:50 PM »
To be fair skeletons in 6th ed were a lot more points than later on to pay for it. But combined with a Strigoi Lord was quite an enjoyable power combo I would run...

Skeletons by themselves were very rarely winning combats. Zombies were also horrible, ghouls were skirmishers and graveguard were very expensive. It was only if you have some combined combats and some vampire combat characters would you get that result.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
6th was the reaction to herohammer 5th. More about units of 30-20 with supporting character. Single characters and monsters weren’t supposed to kill units in a frontal charge on their own. A proper game needing combos and tactics.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
I think 6th edition had the killing power of cheap core troops be too low though. I died a little inside every time someone would have a spear-and-shield-armed unit use hand weapons instead just for the extra armour save, not even trying to kill anything but just stand there providing rank bonus.

I think the perfect edition for me would be one with the unit stats of 6th edition, the support attacks and step-up of 8th edition, and some softer, less all-or-nothing variant of steadfast.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 08:48:00 PM »
Yes, we can dream. Somewhere in the multi-verse, someone is playing the perfect version of Warhammer.

Mind you, they probably do nothing else, and so their non-wargaming life is a mess. Maybe we should be thankful we are in this plane of reality?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
@BlackKnight we just heavily modified the magic terrain rules in 8th. They were utterly ridiculous.

8th edition but with 7th edition style army lists was my favourite!
ie early 8th edition. also before the army book creep got too bad

Looking forward to cracking out my OnG this weekend vs fr1day- never played a 6th ed game with them so could be interesting!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »
@Padre - that is a bit less comforting, when one thinks that we're stuck in this version of reality where Fantasy Battles got blown up!  :icon_cry:

@Finlay - yeah I think I only played one game with the magical terrain. I remember my swordmasters gaining Timewarp after walking into a stream. Those poor dwarf miners never saw that coming! We reverted to using "normal" terrain from that moment on.

Note that I am not opposed to 8th, there's a lot of good stuff in it too! I'm currently playing an 8th ed mini campagin with my brother. Trying to give him the itch to paint fantasy, as he has 2 large armies but hasn't done much with them. Between the 2 of us we have 7 armies. I wrote 7 balanced and well-rounded 1000 point army lists, one for each force. Then he picked which army he wants to play throughout the campagin. Then each battle I take one of the other 6 lists and we have quick game.  We randomly determine which army I am playing each round (no army can be played twice). This way he gets to practice and learn the rules and I get to have some fun cycling through all the armies we have. Since all the lists were written before he got his pick, non of them are tailored or OP. Just generally balanced lists. He went for VC and It's been going pretty well for him (murdered my Night Goblins, then got trampled by Bretonnians but now he smashed apart the Empire).

Anyways - sorry for derailing your thread FR1DAY! Waiting for your next game with anticipation.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:54:19 PM by The Black Knight »
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »
turn 1!

IMG_20180930_115429_HDR by Finlay Jones, on Flickr

Fr1day triggers my fanatics with fast cavalry, I choose to launch them in front of my own army and risk them scattering next turn into his army! yolo, right. waaagh.
Well the next turn a Fanatic spins into my great shaman, does several wounds, but I manage to save enough with war boss ums hat.
IMG_20180930_121307_HDR by Finlay Jones, on Flickr
this gamble paid off later as the fanatics would later spin into and wipe out a unit of his fast cavalry, and his wizard who was hiding between some of his units. they must have had homing devices in their mushrooms.

In that magic phase Snazgrippa then cats Hand of Mork into a chariot, which charges the knights, rolls 6 impact hits, kills 5 of them and runs them down!
who then hand of morks a chariot into some knights, who gets 6 impact hits, and runs them down!
from this
IMG_20180930_115449_HDR by Finlay Jones, on Flickr
to this
IMG_20180930_123843_HDR by Finlay Jones, on Flickr

decisive final combat: savage orc big uns > pikemen. My NG had managed to hold a couple of combat rounds with the Bad Boon Banner, with fr1day forgetting to target, then rolling poorly, to kill the very vulnerable BSB. It's a trick that will only work once vs him but was worth it :P
IMG_20180930_145239_HDR by Finlay Jones, on Flickr

then the savage big uns got into the rear and mashed up about 15 humans.

I took 6 levels of magic in this game knowing OnG were fairly weak in 6th and hoping to counteract that.
But Fr1day had taken a pretty fluffy DoW list. While they have fast cavalry and skirmishers which are important, and let you do nice tactical tricks (which the OnG list is bad at) the points investment into a crappy big unit of pikes lowers the power level. combined with magical supremacy and good luck (I cast, and then made the 2d6 dice roll to charge, Hand of Mork every single time I tried it) it was a victory for SnazGrippa and his crew. Reading the rules agian I'm not sure if I'm allowed to hand of Gork Chariots- the spell says "any Orc or Goblin unit (of any type)". so does a chariot count as an orc unit of any type, or does it count as a war machine? Could I cast the spell on trolls?

We played another game and fr1day wrecked me, immediately cannoning both my chariots, frenzy baiting my savage big uns across my lines and then picking off my units one by one.

I didn't take any photos of that game :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:56:46 AM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 12:12:37 AM »
Love the ork result in the first game. Not sure about anyone else but the pics didn’t show up.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 01:23:44 AM »
Not sure about anyone else but the pics didn’t show up.

Same...?
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 12:45:10 PM »
Weird, 'cos the pictures are there now and have always been there. Have you guys all leaned a book against your screen or something?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
No pics for me.
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 08:50:59 PM »
Oh, brilliant Fr1day, the bleemin' pics have been destroyed for me too by your comment.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »
so no one can see them?

what photo uploading site do people use now photobuckets dead?

edited above with more description and flickr photos, hope it's working.

6th ed is awesome.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:18:11 PM by Finlay »

Pass the machete.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
I can see them on my phone.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
Love the pics. MASSIVE NOSTALGIA.

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2018, 02:46:50 PM »
Glorious battle!

Very nice pictures, keep bringing them up. This sort of thing is inspiring, hopefully I'll be able to get a match with every unit painted soon enough.
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2018, 01:21:34 AM »
Pics showed up! Glorious board and to see those orks all massed up - brings a tear to my eye. I learned the ork ways with 6 Ed and I can pretty much say O&G were my favorite army.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2018, 11:17:53 PM »
I can see them now as well. That board looks fantastic, and the battle as well.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »

Make the Empire great again ! Bring your rats to the next Bash

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2018, 11:41:03 AM »

Make the Empire great again ! Bring your rats to the next Bash

Huh - I doubt it - he couldn't even beat me …………………………………  :engel:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?