home

Author Topic: The W-E At Least 3 Days Per Week Hobby Club ...  (Read 68586 times)

Offline Dihenydd

• Members
  • Back on Hiatus
Re: The W-E At Least 3 Days Per Week Hobby Club ...
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »
We are STH for the local pro soccer team in Canada.  We have been missing the excitement of watching live soccer all year.  Last night the Canadian League finally started their own season mini-tournament in a bubble location on the East Coast.  We played our most hated rivals in the Season Opener and the match was very physical with an eventual score of 2-2, a fair result.

Why is this important?  Because I spent 2 hours with my 11 y.o. working on his SM Imperial Wolves army while watching the match (he's a big fan too).  We finished assembling, and primed and base coated an aggressor squad and captain.  We are using the Contrast Yellow paints.  What a difference those make.  I used to hate anything to do with yellow.  But contrast paint and 3-4 layers of light drybrushing gives the best looking yellow figures I've ever done.  And its easy, which I admit really appeals to me.  A small bit of painting on the weapons, icons etc and these look like they were painted by a far better skilled person than I.

Sometimes the "Old Ones" just need to leave.....

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2020, 02:44:10 PM »
This morning over breakfast, I dug out the rest of the Warcry starter set to review in more detail.  Wrote of my first impressions in the Warcry thread over here ...

http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,53292.msg1067025.html#new

I will probably do some more hobby stuff tonight as well.  With no lady friend to yick yack with currently, hobby time might actually be easy to come by for the moment. :icon_wink:

Updating ...

Founding Club Members so far ... those who join the 1st week and have at least 3 days, are considered founding members ... GP, Artoban, Dihenydd, Padre, Gankom, Novogrod, TaraGreen, Michael W, Midaski, ... and we'll make an exception for SKS if he decides to join, since he is away this week on vacation, although he might be hobbying anyway. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

The 1st Week's Tally Continues ...

1 Day ... none
2 Days ... Artoban, Dihenydd
3 Days ... Gankom, Midaski, Michael
4 Days ... Padre, Tara
5 Days or more ... GP

Only today and tomorrow remain for the first week. :icon_cool: :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:54:45 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2020, 03:42:19 AM »
Did some general roleplaying organization followed by painting the metal Border Prince Mercenary General's cloak a leather brown, and some brown detailing on the five Knights of the Golden Lion that I have made him part of in the past and moving forward.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2020, 09:16:08 AM »
and we'll make an exception for SKS if he decides to join, since he is away this week on vacation, although he might be hobbying anyway. :icon_wink: :icon_cool:

if? Ofcourse I'll join and eventhough I did not do any "real" hobbying in my vacation I did manage to read through 2 Psychic Awakening books and a bit in a White Dwarf, on Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Got back yesterday morning (friday) and even went to the shop to pick up my order of Easy to Build Aggressors and easy to Build Lord Felthius (alternate Lord of contagion build) with his tainted cohort (3 Blightlord terminators) as those kits are going out of production and I really wanted them .. just before the vacation managed to grab a easy to build Plague Marines (3 of them) also so happy to get those unigue sculpts atleast!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2020, 10:11:34 AM »
I see we are expanding "hobby" to reading fluff books.  :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »
I see we are expanding "hobby" to reading fluff books.  :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Well for me it's an integral part of the hobby :)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2020, 12:42:56 PM »
The battle has been raging for hours and hours every day for four days!

The gate tower has collapsed! And some Rat Ogres have taken wall 4!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »
Been doing some organizing and more unpacking of hobby items in my hobby room today, and so surprisingly I've done something for the last 6 days in a row, a good week for me! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Looks like with just today remaining only two of ten have one day to go!

Founding Club Members so far ... those who join the 1st week and have at least 3 days, are considered founding members ... GP, Artoban, Dihenydd, Padre, Gankom, Novogrod, TaraGreen, Michael W, Midaski, SKS, ...

The 1st Week's Tally Continues ...

1 Day ... none
2 Days ... Artoban, Dihenydd
3 Days ... Gankom, Midaski, Michael, SKS
4 Days ... Tara
5 Days ... Padre
6 Days ... GP

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2020, 05:11:21 PM »
Dun, Dun, Dun

Yesterday Midaski played a game.!!!!!

A starter trial run of a skirmish game with no1 son. We both had matching 'warbands', so we could experiment.
Ebbed and flowed, but I went down fighting.

So today chores and family have not allowed a full game, but we have both selected our different warbands lists and are ready to go tomorrow and we have further explored the rules so we can hopefully run a short campaign with 2 or maybe 3 games.
So another 2 days this week and hopefully set for 2 days next week already.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »
After travelling for about 6 hours, I wasn't able to do very much today. Did some research on freckles, skin variation and different light situations to add more details to the daemonette next week.

As the mini is too fragile to transport it in the small travel bag I have with me, progressing Papa Smurf will be the goal for the next few days.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2020, 09:25:02 PM »
Built most of one vanguard hunter to keep my standing in the group. I’m so totally burnt out after this run of work. Went to sleep at 9 last night. Up at 6:15 back to bed at 8:30 and slept on and off till 4:00. 2
Cats for company while the wife binged something Netflix.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2020, 03:47:31 AM »
Well, I finished the Middenheim Greatsword Standard and Boris...except for his shield.  I'll have to find one for him. 

I was going to move on to a giant for my Greenskins, but I'm painting him with very pale flesh and, as it turns out, my Pallid Wych Flesh is shot.  So until I make it over the FLGS, it's other projects.  But that's a good thing - I've had a 40k Landspeeder sitting around for ages and I've been doing anything to avoid painting it.  So it finally got its main hull coat (green, as my Marines are Salamanders) and it's due for more attention.  I also started another been-dodging-it-for-literally-years project - the Birdmen of Catrazza.  The unit is primed, flesh is painted, and clothes have their first coat, so they're coming along nicely.  Still don't really see a point to the unit but, hey, they look cool, and that's really priority number one in Tilea.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
Papa Smurf as promised. He's not so blue any more.

This is day 1 of the new week as we start counting on Sundays, isn't it?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
Finished the last two pages of the 9th Edition 40K Core Rules this morning over coffee.  A big difference reading these in the morning, it was quick and easy being mentally fresh ... lol.  My coffee isn't even done yet, and all of Sunday is in front of us!

Updating ...

Last Week's Current Tally Continues ...

1 Day ... none
2 Days ... Dihenydd
3 Days ... Gankom, SKS, Artoban
4 Days ... Midaski, Michael
5 Days ... Padre, Tara
6 Days ... GP

This Week's Tally Begins ...

1 Day ... Tara, GP
2 Days ...
3 Days ...
4 Days or more ...

Folks can join in anytime.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2020, 01:04:37 PM »
Ripped off the vanguards arms 3 times this morning. Finally got the right ones on. The bad new is that there are 9 more to go. 😹

Mids mentioned proof so here it is. The shadow warriors were done awhile ago. The evocators in back and the damnable 1st vanguard started yesterday and still not finished. After they are done, that should give me enough to start a new round of painting.

Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
Updating ...

1 Day ... none
2 Days ... Dihenydd
5 Days ... Padre, Tara
6 Days ... GP

1 Day ... Tara, GP, Artoban
2 Days ...
3 Days ...
4 Days or more ...

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »
Been battling intensely for days now, including yesterday and today!

It has been a really hard battle - the skaven have lost more than 100 troops!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »
Updating ...

1 Day ... none
2 Days ... Dihenydd
5 Days ... Padre, Tara
6 Days ... GP

1 Day ... Tara, GP, Artoban, Padre
2 Days ...
3 Days ...
4 Days or more ...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »
Intense! 100 skaven dead is a good beginning. Looks like they are taking the walls though.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »
The Trebuchet has directly hit 4 times out of 5 so far. Taking out between 13 and 20 ratmen every time! It has a 1 in three chance of direct hitting, and a simultaneous 1 in 6 chance of misfiring and yet it has hit directly 4 times out of 5!

I have been terrified the Skaven player will think I am fudging rolls to mess with his head! It is 'Play by E-mail', and they're trusting me to roll. I know there are various roll generators out there, but I really don't need any more complications in this very, very time consuming process! All I need is the players to trust me. And they do! The fact that as GM I favour no-one (I want them both to win! And Perette is cool, and Lord Urlak is great.)

Baron Garoy is somewhat hard pressed ...

Lord Urlak is more than annoyed at Perette, whos fire magic has rivaled the trebuchet in deadly effectiveness! It does help that he does not care how many of his servants die!

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2020, 06:21:06 PM »
Updating ...

7 Days ... GP

Fixed that for you because of your updates every day. :icon_wink:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2020, 06:31:46 PM »
I can’t remember if I said I hate building these vanguards, and evocators, and before that  those merciless squig things.....oh ya , those shadow warriors while I’m at it..... if I didn’t say I hate them, well I do. I hate ‘em!
The building of them that is.....
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2020, 06:49:56 PM »
@Artobans Ghost: I hate everything that has to do with glue and removing mould lines. If I could skip that part of the hobby, I would. A friend of mine spends hours with removing mould lines. In fact, I think I have never seen him painting anything. Maybe I should hire him.  :icon_lol:

Looks like I won't be able to continue painting the bust tomorrow. My fluorescent colours are at home. I forgot to take them with me.  :eusa_wall:
Already asked the local hobby shop owner if he has them. Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2020, 06:59:14 PM »
@Artobans Ghost: I hate everything that has to do with glue and removing mould lines. If I could skip that part of the hobby, I would. A friend of mine spends hours with removing mould lines. In fact, I think I have never seen him painting anything. Maybe I should hire him.  :icon_lol:

Looks like I won't be able to continue painting the bust tomorrow. My fluorescent colours are at home. I forgot to take them with me.  :eusa_wall:
Already asked the local hobby shop owner if he has them. Unfortunately, the answer is no.

Thank you! One who hears my pain 😺
My son used to do all the building of units then he selfishly grew up and left the home leaving me with the fun 😺😺

Looking forward to seeing the fluorescents added
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2020, 09:22:48 PM »
Had a chance to do a little gaming today with my group!  Napoleonics, French vs. British.  The battle ended up being lengthwise down the table, instead of across it, so a narrow field, which definitely favored the British - the French are poorer quality troops and their only advantage is speed, which they normally use to throw most of their forces against only part of the English line.  It was hard-fought on both sides, with the French sending a battalion across a bridge twice to be shot up by the British on both occasions before reinforcing units came in and drove the British back but were, in turn, repulsed by a battery of 6-lb cannon firing canister at about 75 yards.  The British right flank held tightly on to their occupied town while their cavalry attacked in the center but were in turn repulsed and chased by French infantry and dragoons, who themselves were then halted by Portuguese reinforcements.

The battle's end saw the French fighting for one flank and trying to reform with a few companies in the center, while the British right still had two entire battalions (almost half the British total force on the field) facing off against a single French battalion.  Had the British advanced, they might have turned the French flank, but it wouldn't be easy - the French artillery was well-positioned and is quite potent.

Still, a fun game all around and looking forward to next Sunday.  We'll probably do a little more of a scenario battle next time, and might see about fielding Austrians instead of (or in addition to?) British.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------