home

Author Topic: Previously Released Movies Watched Currently ...  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
Previously Released Movies Watched Currently ...
« on: March 27, 2021, 06:39:12 AM »
I watched "Mars Attacks" and, although its a parody of 50s\60s B-movies along with War of the Worlds and came out the same year as Independence Day, I like it. There's a couple of scenes which didn't age well but overall its as schlocky as intended and has some great moments. I especially like that we see different people with different backgrounds dealing with the presence of aliens. Its a large ensemble cast of characters but its not hard to keep up with them as each one has there own little story during the events of the film and its a welcome sight compared to say Independence Day or the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds movie. I also like the blend of the 60s and 90s style, it really works.  Its grotesque, silly, and dumb but I had a fun time.

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Previously Released Movies Watched Currently ...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 02:51:52 AM »
I remember when ID4 came out and there was such a fuss about it. In all those years since its aged so poorly. I might have to give Mars Attacks another watch. I havnt seen it in decades.

I myself watched Gods of Egypt the other day on my streaming service and personally; I thought it needed a laugh track

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 03:56:45 AM »
Apparently in the mid 2010s, there was a table top game for it (well, more specifically the collectable cards from 1967 and 1994 that inspired the 96 movie). The main box had a couple of squads of Martians and a squad of human military soliders and a group of civilian heroes. There was also expansion boxes that expanded the "armies" with flying saucers, giant robots, scientists, XCOM style response teams, giant insects, and more. Honestly it sounds kind of fun. I'm not sure if its still in production, but even if it was I still have to much to paint as it is without starting a new project.

I remember when ID4 came out and there was such a fuss about it. In all those years since its aged so poorly. I might have to give Mars Attacks another watch. I havnt seen it in decades.
The fact that the Martians are the true stars of the movie makes it fun compared to ID4. Plus its just not serious.

I myself watched Gods of Egypt the other day on my streaming service and personally; I thought it needed a laugh track
Ha! It really should!
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »
I've not seen either.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 10:52:28 PM »
So this was pretty neat. A 30 year old Russian version of Lord of the Rings was found. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/05/soviet-tv-version-lord-of-the-rings-rediscovered-after-30-years

And while there's no subtitles yet, here's the movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vquKyNdgH3s

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:43:33 PM »
I watched "A Monster in Paris" on Prime. Its really good. Its like Beauty and the Beast set in 1910 Paris. "Belle" character is a cabaret performer, the "Gaston" character is the city commissioner, and the "Beast" monster just really likes music.  The story mostly follows a delivery driver, his friend the theater projectionist, and the Belle character as they try to help the "Beast" and protect him from the commissioner that wants to kill the Beast to make himself look good politically. The cabaret performance with the Belle and Beast is really great!

― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:22 PM »
It is really great. We saw it a year or two ago.
Reminds me of Ratatoullie, which we actually saw after it.
Both are great.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 04:27:50 AM »
I loved Ratatoulie.  Perhaps I'll look this up and give it a watch. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 08:29:57 AM »
I have to explain this first in a round-about way.
In my youth; the Ratings Advice commercial which was on the start of EVERY tape the video Ezy stores had features clips of four movies. I recognised Hucklberry Finn, Back to the future 3 and Terminator 2. The last one always bugged me as I didn't recognise it at all. I recently discovered it on my streaming service; Madonnas 'Body of evidence' It was nearly a parody of itself it was that bad. 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »
Last night I watched ... Once Upon A Time In The West, directed by Sergio Leone and released in 1968.  Features ... Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Woody Strode, Jack Elam.

Opening gun scene ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XkHsinz7oU

"You bring a horse for me?"

"Looks like we're shy one horse."

"You brought two too many."

Also, entire movie for free ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBNTWzbcuuk

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 10:08:22 PM »
Not sure which spaghetti Western was better "Once upon a time in the West" or "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"?

In any case, https://youtu.be/qJsK5fq5xWA?t=79
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 02:39:25 AM »
I watched Kiki's Delivery Service. Its an enchanting coming of age movie. The plot is a bit weak (I am noticing a theme here for the 3 Ghibli movies I've seen), but its more about self discovery. It was great.

Not sure which spaghetti Western was better "Once upon a time in the West" or "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"?
Admittedly I have only seen The Good, The Bad and The Ugly but I have heard Once Upon a Time in the West is an amazing Western movie.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 03:31:51 AM »
I hadn't seen Once Upon A Time In The West in probably 25 to 30 years ago.  At the time I thought it was worth seeing, but this time I caught more things than the last.   It does have it's weak moments, but overall it is well worth watching.

By the way, one item that I picked up on this time was the fact that when the harmonica is playing, even from the very beginning, that is the main anti-hero playing it.  Which explains why the three assassins at the begin turn around, after having initially given up.

And Leone's directing is outstanding.  He plays with sound and vision throughout this motion picture, quite good!

It is one of those films that I might watch for a third time.  I don't have many of those.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 08:09:44 PM »
I'm a big fan of the good, the bad and the ugly. If folks want to mix it up a bit, there's an excellent reimagining called The Good, The Bad and The Weird thats many of the same beats but set in pre-world war two China. I really enjoyed it and has excellent Western movie vibes.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 04:33:28 AM »
This was re-released for the cinema in 2016 ... a solid trailer ... Barry Lyndon (by Kubrick) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPSGuJskxM

I once watched it when much younger, and suspect it is probably worth a second viewing, to see what I missed in my youthful viewing of such masterpieces.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:49:26 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 11:50:27 AM »
This looks interesting ... Arn, The Knight Templar ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RgVW47nY_Y

Anyone see this yet :icon_question:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 11:52:31 AM »
And what about this ... Ironclad ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnoTSlCzAuM

I am curious if this is worth watching :icon_question:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 05:43:16 PM »
I've seen both. Not amazing mind blowing but not bad. Ironclad especially was a good Sunday afternoon movie.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 06:01:49 PM »
Sounds liek a good idea for this Sunday, after getting my covid-19 vaccine on Sat, suspect I'll be dealing with issues on Sunday.  Maybe a movie will help distract the expected uncomfortability.  Maybe.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 02:47:51 AM »
This past Memorial Day ... I watched The Longest Day.  Surprisingly a quick motion picture for it being almost 3 hours long.  I recall enjoying it when much younger than today.  Now there is more of an appreciation for what it attempted to do back in the day.  And for how many actors played small parts, some how appropriate for honoring so many who saw the real action on such a day.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 12:50:59 AM »
Just watched 'Marrowbone', decent phycological horror/thriller thing.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 12:57:33 AM »
Last night I watched "North West Frontier" from 1959.  This is an adventure film about the warfare of the very early 1900s in North West India, now Pakistan.  The movie stars Lauren Becall and Kenneth More, who are taking a small train across the region to seek safety for a young prince.  There are interesting issues that help provide the plot for the suspense, and I don't want to say too much, because in places I was quite glued to might seat as the scenes were developing.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  Wouldn't say it is a classic A movie, but certainly not in the realm of a B movie at all.  Worth at least one viewing by movie fans, especially if watching older films is something you like doing.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 07:22:23 AM »
I collect bad movies [this has a bit to do with my namesake]
The other day i stumbled across a ten movie DVD set which had a train wreck in it, called 'Low blow'
I was CONVINCED i had seen it on MST3K but i was mistaken; Red letter media had ripped it to shreds instead.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2021, 03:12:36 AM »
"March or Die", 1977 ... starring Gene Hackman, Terence Hill, Max Von Sydow, and the impeccable Catherine Deneuve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01bGNOact2Q

It's free on youtube, but ads every ten minutes, reminds me of movies shown on old fashioned TV. :icon_lol:

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 01:58:30 PM »
I watched "Blade Runner" for the first time (The Final Cut version). Wow, that was an amazing movie. And that ending too! I feel like it sucker punched me, but in a good way. I am surprised its taken me this long to finally see the movie. I feel like I need to watch it again. I know there is a sequel, but I am worried it may taint the intentional ambiguity of this ending. Is it weird that I feel like it should have been 30 minutes to an hour longer to develop the protagonists a bit more?
― Jake the Dog