home

Author Topic: 6th Ed WHFB - New Empire Player  (Read 802 times)

Offline wayne62682

• Members
6th Ed WHFB - New Empire Player
« on: February 05, 2023, 09:00:38 PM »
Some of the locals at my FLGS have gotten back into WHFB and I got bit by the nostalgia bug.  We're doing 6th edition and after some reading, I decided to throw my lot in with The Empire.  I last played back in 5th edition (Dark Elves) so I'm basically going into 6th ed and Empire with a completely fresh start.  The others are playing: Beastmen, Dwarfs, Lizardmen, Bretonnia, Dark Elves, and I believe Orcs & Goblins.

I have been playing around with a solid 1k starting list (I have to go and read through some of the articles here to re-familiarize myself with 6th edition) and was thinking something along these lines:

+HEROES+
Captain (General) - 68
- Full Plate Armour
- Enchanted Shield

Battle Wizard (L1) - 85
- Dispel Scroll

+CORE+
19 Halberdiers - 139
- Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer

Detachment: 10 Swordsmen - 70

20 Halberdiers - 145

10 Handgunners - 80

8 Knights - 224

+SPECIAL
Great Cannon - 100

Which comes to 981 points if I did the math right.  It seems like Swordsmen might be better for the parent block than Halberdiers (despite Halberdiers fitting better fluffwise), so maybe flip those around?  I'm not a big fan of the Free Company so I'm not keen on using those but not completely against it either.  I did consider fitting in White Wolf Knights instead of regular Knights (I'm also considering but not decided yet on having my army be Middenland, in which case White Wolf Knights would fit better), but may have to rework some stuff if I go with blocks of Swordsmen.

Any tips or suggestions for a new captain looking to make his mark and serve the Emperor?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: 6th Ed WHFB - New Empire Player
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 03:40:41 PM »
The halberds vs swords might depend on whether or not the other players are creating competitive list or just winging it.

I don't recall how many points for a single halberdier in 6th, maybe 6 points, but with 981 of 1000, that's enough to round up that 1st block to 20.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 05:36:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I think this is basically a good list. You have plenty of troops for a 1000pts game, and can tie up and overhelm the enemy.

Your army building process touches up some general ideas about what is good in an Empire list and what is not.

Sworsmen or Halberdiers?

Against many opponents, Empire infantry can't decide when to charge, just when they offer themselves to a charge. In these situations, the better weapon skill and better armour save of the Swordsmen weighs more than ranked attacks or extra strength. Also the armour save helps them to stay alive when shot at.

So that's the reason the Swordsmen were considered superior to other state troops. Much depends on the types of games and armies played locally.

Then the Halberdiers or Free Company were preferred for detachments, because they are better in generating kills when they charge the enemy unit flank. But Swordsmen were also used for this purpose.

In general the differences are quite small and Swordsmen do cost that extra point apiece, so even in competitive surroundings you might take what you like. Many competition winners back in the day did play different parent detachments, not just Swordsmen.

You might even consider deploying your infantry units just four wide (you get the full rank bonus still in the 6th ed) and four deep, with a couple of extras hanging behind. This would make them more vulnerable against shooting, and prone to losing ranks faster. But it would free some points if you want to fine-tune the shooting with some extra men.

How much shooting is enough?

Shooting is also an option for Detachments. I think if there's one lack in your list, it's the low number of shooters. Empire Handguns and Crossbows are actually relevant in the game, even if they tend to miss a lot.

Taking the ten Handgunners as two Detachments would allow you to spread out the shooting if needed, and shoot in reaction to the parent unit being charged. So a bit more flexibility, although you then have one less unit to deploy, which might be a pro or con depending on the situation.

How to kit the Captain-General, and where to put him?

I would put the Captain on a Barded Warhorse and join the Knights. If your troops start taking break tests, they usually lose by more than a point or two, in which case Ld8 doesn't help much more than Ld 7, without the battle standard.

Of course then your Captain isn't around for Panic and Rallying either. But if an Empire army with Ld8 is forced to take Panic tests, it will fail some anyway. So better get adjusted to that. And your fleeing troops will often be outside of the Ld8 bubble, so even there a Captain among the rank and file might not have an effect. But these are very tender tactical and positioning questions. Hard to say how often they take an effect. 1000pts games tend to be very swingy, and it's usually better to advance boldly and force the opponent take those tests.

Do you need a rank for knights, or is frontage (attacks) better?

I'd play the knights six wide, and drop the two from the second rank. Even just five wide if the Captain goes here. You want to maximise the attacks when you charge.

If you put the Captain on a Barded Warhorse (14pts) and drop two knights (46pts), you would then have 32 unused points. Four more Handgunners. Or two more Halberdiers, and you would have full 20 points left to buy your Captain-General the Sword of Might to give him Strength 5 attacks. One of the best magic weapons for its points.

Ah, 6th ed min-maxing...  :-P

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 02:11:27 PM »
Some of the locals at my FLGS have gotten back into WHFB and I got bit by the nostalgia bug.  We're doing 6th edition and after some reading, I decided to throw my lot in with The Empire.  I last played back in 5th edition (Dark Elves) so I'm basically going into 6th ed and Empire with a completely fresh start.  The others are playing: Beastmen, Dwarfs, Lizardmen, Bretonnia, Dark Elves, and I believe Orcs & Goblins.

I have been playing around with a solid 1k starting list (I have to go and read through some of the articles here to re-familiarize myself with 6th edition) and was thinking something along these lines:

+HEROES+
Captain (General) - 68
- Full Plate Armour
- Enchanted Shield

Battle Wizard (L1) - 85
- Dispel Scroll

+CORE+
19 Halberdiers - 139

20 Halberdiers - 145

10 Handgunners - 80

8 Knights - 224

+SPECIAL
Great Cannon - 100

Which comes to 981 points if I did the math right.  It seems like Swordsmen might be better for the parent block than Halberdiers (despite Halberdiers fitting better fluffwise), so maybe flip those around?  I'm not a big fan of the Free Company so I'm not keen on using those but not completely against it either.  I did consider fitting in White Wolf Knights instead of regular Knights (I'm also considering but not decided yet on having my army be Middenland, in which case White Wolf Knights would fit better), but may have to rework some stuff if I go with blocks of Swordsmen.

Any tips or suggestions for a new captain looking to make his mark and serve the Emperor?

We'll need some pics of this army.