home

Author Topic: Unknown High Elf Model - Any Ideas?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
Unknown High Elf Model - Any Ideas?
« on: June 07, 2021, 11:16:56 AM »
I know this is the Empire forum but I have a question about a High Elf mini - apologies I still don't have a method of uploading pictures just yet but I'll do my best to describe.

I was going through my HE collection this weekend as I need a few metal White Lions to complete the set. I have one White Lion however that I thought was White Lion no.7 in the below;

From the waist up he is identical to no.7, and his bottom half is the same too however he has some differences in detailing. Instead of the belt with the little dangling crescent on (shown in the pic) mine has a double belt/strap which goes over his hip, and on his hip is a cylindrical 'nub' that would suggest it's for mounting a shield or unknown accessory onto. The other difference is that the one catalogued above has plain shin armour but mine has two HE gemstones set into the plates just below the knees...

He is excellent quality and doesn't appear to be a forgery - if somebody did that why would the detailing be different on his lower half?

He just seems to be a bit of an oddity, why would a White Lion have a nub for a shield on his hip?

Again - apologies for not being able to put a photo on (I will get to that eventually!) but does anybody have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:05:13 PM by Jmash »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Unknown High Elf Model - Any Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 02:30:08 PM »
I enjoy little mysteries like this.  No knowledge from me on this, although it does remind me of my high elfs from the 8th edition starter set.  Hopefully I'll get around to painting them some day.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:18:36 PM »
I have been giving my HE's a bit of attention lately because I snapped up some sought after bits and pieces cheap on eBay recently so decided to give them another look over. To my surprise the metal Lions were going reasonably cheaply in comparison to some things I've looked at recently so I thought I'd take the opportunity to buy up a few of the ones I'm missing.

This guy just strikes me as really odd - if he was a forgery I'd expect much lower quality, both in sculpt and casting/material. If he was a simple recast then he wouldn't have different detailing, he'd be a cut and paste of the catalogued mini. Finally, he's a White Lion, so what on earth is the little nub for because he wouldn't have a shield and I've never known them to have any loose accessory other than a banner top...?

A photo here would really help, I'll see what I can do soon.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 03:37:49 PM »
It would be neat to see him for comparing and contrasting. :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 04:03:01 PM »
Without an actual picture, it is difficult to be sure, but it could be a Citadel/GW classic 90s Marauder White Lion. They certainly did have gemstones in their greaves.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 04:11:19 PM »
Without an actual picture, it is difficult to be sure, but it could be a Citadel/GW classic 90s Marauder White Lion. They certainly did have gemstones in their greaves.

No he's one of the newer ones as shown in the catalogue pic above. As I said, he is IDENTICAL to White Lion no7. in every aspect other than the couple of details I described.

I should also note he is raw metal too so it's not any sort of greenstuff addition.

I'll see if I can sort a photo when I finish work for the evening.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 05:22:33 PM »
Ok, I'm hoping the pictures are visible for this...

The chap on the left very handily arrived in the post this morning. He is most definitely White Lion no.7, he has a patterned axe head, a little crescent hanging from his belt and plain shin guards.

The guy on the right however is the mystery. At first glance he's the same, a no.7. But upon closer inspection he has the two gems set into his shin guards below the knee and most unusually he has that different belt with the aforementioned 'nub' that you usually see where a shield should be fitted - the last image hopefully shows this most clearly.

I ask the good people of this forum - any thoughts at all?

:::cheers:::

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:27:55 AM »
Most strange and rare !
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 05:14:50 PM »
Most strange and rare !

Aha! and you would be the fellow to know such things!

I wonder if they ever dabbled with doing a metal lion chariot or something and the metal nub is for a quiver or some way to anchor him to a chassis?

I'm glad I'm not just going round the bend though and people are in agreement that this is an oddity :::cheers:::

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 10:09:30 AM »
Couldn't see the picture. Did you identify it already?

Could be an unreleased version. Possibly even for Mordheim. GW often did more sculpts for unit figures than they published, and they slightly modified some 5-6th ed models (even plastic ones) for Mordheim. At least the Mordheim Slayer character is a minimal resculpt of a 5th ed Slayer, and the Mordheim Roadwarden is basically a kitbash of plastic Empire parts, cast in metal.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
Sorry - it's because I removed it from my Wordpress thingy when I launched the page last week.

I'll add it back in and re-link it here for ya :wink:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 12:05:29 PM »
@ Zygmund

Images re-linked below... It's the guy on the right. He's not the same as the one on the left so he's not a catalogued mini as far as I can see...