home

Author Topic: Education  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Buddha90

• Members
Education
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
I wasn't sure whether or not this belongs here or in the magic section. Please move it if I've placed it in the wrong section :)

My idea for the next edition of characters is education. Like in WoC where marks of the chaos gods are available, our captains and generals should be able to have an education which they could draw benefit from on the battlefield.

I'm not that could with putting a point cost on things, but here is a suggestion:

Strategist XX points

At the start of the game the player controlling a strategic character may roll a D3 to determine which of the following attributes the character has.

1: Trustworthy:
The men in the army knows that this guy knows his stuff, and they trust his decisions will lead them to victory. Therefore any leadership test taken by a friendly empire unit has a -2 modifier

2: Deployment is his thing:
The character knows how to deploy his army, so that is has the greatest benefit. When all units have been deployed the player may choose to move 0-2 units in the army, so that they are still in the deployment zone.

3: Flanky Fever:
The controlling player may chose one unit to be a flanking unit. The flanking unit will enter the board from any spot on any table edge on a D6 roll of 6 on Turn 2, of 5+ on Turn 3, of 4+ on Turn 4, of 3+ on Turn 5, and of 2+ on
Turn 6. If the flankers do not show up at all, it means that they didn't trust their general and have fled off the board.

The character could also have a combat oriented education, and his units would be better trained.. He could have a medical education and therefore suffer less losses. He could even have a gunpowder exam and could give the cannons some power up :) Maybe that could replace the engineer.........

What do you think of this idea ? Feel free to add, edit and comment :)
Hold your head up high
Raise your fist up in the air
Play metal louder than hell
Louder than hell!

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
Re: Education
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:41:06 AM »
I like the idea attach points values to them and stick em into the Schola Bellator section of engineer 8.0 .  The idea behind the schola bellator (school of battle) is that generals engineers and captains can buy skills of various sorts very like dwarves with their runes of vamps with their special powers, this concept fits right in.
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
I really like the flanker ability it gives a good random feel without betting the whole game on luck.

I think the Trustworthy ability is too good maybe a minus one but two makes ledership eight a effective ten.

Maybe a rule that let you put a captain in a volley gun since he has a five ballistic skill.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:56:47 PM by Orcslayer »
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
They should be removing these not adding more. Characters in WoC, Vamps, Brets, Wood Elves, High Elves etc all have too much magic.

Mogsam
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:46:30 PM »
Ahhhhh but thats the thing these things are not magic they simply are an expression of the education levels of the command structure of an empire army.  Very fluffy

Btw the trustworthy attriubute really only applies to combat rez, effectively making units a tad stubborn, stubborn lite if you will.  Like having two free kills or two free ranks for units within range. 
"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 06:07:54 AM »
I've been thinking of a special deployment rule for the army.  This would be cribbed directly from the nomad cavalry lists from Warhammer Historical.  The general may designate any skirmish or Cavalry units for a special deployment skill at 2 points per model, every model in a unit must take the skill.  After deployment and turn order has been choosen The units with the special deployment skill may make a free march move and formation change this counts also for units with the scouting special skill.  Units making this special move may not declare a charge or move within 8 inches of any enemy units but they can move within their lines of sight, and they may move outside of their deploymant zone. 

This special skill is one of a suite of rules given to nomad cavalry (huns and mongols) in the warhammer historical system and simulates their ability to strategically use the ground to their advantage.

"DEfighter wrote: