home

Author Topic: Question about high powered spells and IF  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
Question about high powered spells and IF
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
Dont have my brb handy and was trying to remember where it is talked about where sometimes rolling double sixes while casting doesnt automatically mean IF. If you need 15 say for Gate, and roll double sixes, it counts as a failed attempt as you still need 15 minimum total on the dice.  Is this in the brb? Faq? 

Example: Teclis needs to roll doubles (except 1's) to get IF. If he normally needs a 12 to cast a spell and rolls double 2's...does it count as IF?
Odo drops the bombs and laughs at all the clucking.

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline Red

• Members
  • If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.
Re: Question about high powered spells and IF
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:07:50 PM »
For IF:

"When rolling to cast a spell, any result of two or more unmodified 6s means that the spell has been cast with irresistible force. The spell is cast successfully and the enemy cannot attempt to stop it..."

As to your Teclis question, since it counts as IF, I would say so.

Offline Billiamsthorpe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:38 AM »
Yeah thats how it works. So in your example, Teclis can roll double 2's and cast a 12+ spell.

Offline Lord Tilioth

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:29:42 AM »
@ red

you sir are a genius  :closed-eyes:
"To Honor and Glory we march, but death is still inevitable" - Grand Master Lord Tilioth of The Knights of the Golden Realm
Empire Score Sheet:
Win/Draw/Lose
64/8/11
Tournaments played and won ratio - 3:3

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:19 AM »
Teclis is amazing... how can I get him into my Empire army?

Maybe if I added a small detachment of High Elves... some spearmen, some silver helms, and Teclis of course...
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 06:18:44 AM »

For regular IF any double 6 even if under casting value = Cast.

For Teclis and the HElf item you need to match casting value but any double + match = IF.

i.e if you needed 14 and rolled 5,5,4 you'd get IF. You WOULDN'T if you rolled 5,4,4, as you only score 13.

The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »
Bies is right the elves have to meet the spell requirements except if they roll a double 6.

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the clarification guys. So I guess it is possible to roll Gateway(power lvl15), the power lvl 25 Skaven spell, etc. on just TWO dice.

......, it would really help if you did research before spouting your opinion...

Offline Red

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
@ red

you sir are a genius  :closed-eyes:

:icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for the clarification guys. So I guess it is possible to roll Gateway(power lvl15), the power lvl 25 Skaven spell, etc. on just TWO dice.

Also, I don't have my BRB here atm, but I recall a thread saying you need to roll enough dice to get the spell off normally or something like that, but I can't be sure.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:29:02 PM by Red »

Offline Odominus

• Members
  • Winter is Coming
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 08:44:13 PM »
Also, I don't have my BRB here atm, but I recall a thread saying you need to roll enough dice to get the spell off normally or something like that, but I can't be sure.

Hence my initial question. According to your first post, all you need is 2 6's to IF any spell.

Offline Red

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:22:03 PM »

Hence my initial question. According to your first post, all you need is 2 6's to IF any spell.

I thought you meant to successfully cast the spell, but to even try casting it I recall hearing you need to be able to cast the spell originally (ie. 3 dice for Infernal Gateway), but I could be wrong.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:42:39 PM »
Dont have my brb handy and was trying to remember where it is talked about where sometimes rolling double sixes while casting doesnt automatically mean IF. If you need 15 say for Gate, and roll double sixes, it counts as a failed attempt as you still need 15 minimum total on the dice.  Is this in the brb? Faq? 

Example: Teclis needs to roll doubles (except 1's) to get IF. If he normally needs a 12 to cast a spell and rolls double 2's...does it count as IF?

In your first example Gate would go off as Red has referenced the correct line (Rulebook Page 107).  That means any spell can be cast with at least 2 dice, regardless of casting value.

Teclis/Book of Hoeth is different as the Book of Hoeth states:
Any spell cast by the mage with this book will be cast with Irresistible Force on any successful casting roll which includes any double, except a Miscast. (Page 102 High Elf Armybook - the High Loremaster rule for Teclis says basically the same thing on page 66).

Clearly this means you must at least meet the casting value and then you check for doubles for IF.

Done, done, and done!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:52:22 PM by Rodman49 »

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:48:51 PM »
Okay, while we're on this subject, what happens when you miscast and irresistible force on the same cast? Do you cast but explode or just explode or what?
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:51:32 PM »
Okay, while we're on this subject, what happens when you miscast and irresistible force on the same cast? Do you cast but explode or just explode or what?

A miscast overrules IF in all cases.

Offline Captain Insanoflex

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
A miscast overrules IF in all cases.
Unless it clearly specifies otherwise in the magic item/rule/ability/whatever.  Like the Hellheart for Ogres :-(

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:17 PM »
Right, understood
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.