home

Author Topic: WFB Nostalgia ...  (Read 2922 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
WFB Nostalgia ...
« on: August 25, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »
Found this today elsewhere on the W-E site, and thought it could be good to post in its own thread ...

https://web.archive.org/web/20051129022032/http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/empire/default.htm

Many of the links still work to some of the pages, although not everything is available, it is still worth noting the goodness that such things were, and with something like the Way Back Machine, still are. :::cheers:::

If you find other cool items like this, feel free to post them here in this thread, thanks! :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: WFB Nostalgia ...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »
 :::cheers:::
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:59:53 PM »
Never thought i'd feel nostalgic for 2003

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 07:07:11 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:18:12 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 07:39:49 PM »
Was I one of the few people that liked the Global "Storm of Chaos" campaign? Its honestly what got me into the lore.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040810090233/http://stormofchaos.uk.games-workshop.com/warroom/journal/default.htm
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 07:51:53 PM »
Oooh! That looks like something worth reviewing.  Thanks for posting! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 07:58:32 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:18:02 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 07:17:05 AM »
Wow, thanks for sharing this. Those were high times for Warhammer. I remember when Ravening Hordes came out with stats for all the armies--including Dogs of War--and working on ideas for many, many armies.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 01:27:41 PM »
I liked Storm of Chaos. It was when I had the most friends who also played warhammer.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 05:02:54 PM »
Storm of Chaos was easily one of the highest points of Fantasy for me. My whole area mobilized to take part. There was extensive planning on which sites we'd defend, where we'd fall back to, the cooperative fluff writing, etc. I am still disapointed they rolled it back, because I thought the aftermath could have been a fascinating thing to explore. AND put the Order alliance on the aggressive fighting to reclaim the north.

The retcon is actually what finally pushed my group into making our own homebrew setting and just putting everything we play/do into that. Storm of Chaos is also the "event" that broke the old world and helped create the new one for us,

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »
Storm of Chaos was just before my return to the hobby.  I agree that it could have been used as a way to move the Old World from there.

As an example, the effort put into the maps and lists of communities by the MadAlfred website that features how things were after the Storm of Chaos has been an inspiration to me.  It is a bummer that GW didn't try to do something similar like this for the whole Old World, and capture themselves in the potential of an Old World that moved forward with amazing opportunities.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 04:30:11 AM »
I was playing regularly in a club at the time, and Storm of Chaos prompted almost everyone to make new armies--or at least refurbish old one with a new theme--that year. So many cool opportunities.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 08:47:06 AM »
I built a website with all the extra white dwarf etc stuff for 6th: wfb6thcharacters.blogspot.com

I also have built every army in the Storm of Chaos book for my collection, some of them are hard as nails to fight against with a regular army. Especially the 'Ard boyz. Getting a hold of a unit of teutogen guard was painful though

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »
That sounds like quite the project, congrats! :::cheers:::

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:56 AM »
thanks, it has been a fun project, each army can only be used as one of the lists at a time, there's some model overlap between them, but i didn't feel the need to buy 200+ more clanrats or another 20 white wolf knights etc. The white wolf knights i might though lol

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:04:52 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »
Fair play, thanks for the hard work.

No problem, it's nice to see a lot of people posting it when people ask where to find rules for whatever unit, army list or character. I feel it paid off.