home

Author Topic: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?  (Read 857 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
So it is interesting that in the ravaging hordes the Greatswords don't have any armour.   Also I'm wondering if people would object if I just borrowed the pikemen from the Dogs of War and added them to the Empire list.   They would cost 5 skaven slaves a pop so I think they fit in with the costing of 6th edition fairly well.

Ravening Hordes Greatswords followed the 4th & 5th ed rules for Greatswords. The new 6th ed Greatswords with full plate armour were published very soon after RH, but at the very time the 6th came out they weren't there yet.

I'm all OK for using DoW Pikemen in Empire armies as normal State Troop units (so not a Rare choice). They are not overpowered for their points.

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline commandant

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
Ravening Hordes Greatswords followed the 4th & 5th ed rules for Greatswords. The new 6th ed Greatswords with full plate armour were published very soon after RH, but at the very time the 6th came out they weren't there yet.
-Z

The old greatsword models make much more sense when you realise that they had no armour before 6th.

Also I like the idea of pikemen with handgunner detachments, reminds me the right era.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:49:54 PM by commandant »

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 11:52:42 PM »
When I first picked up WFB towards the end of 6th edition, I was thrilled that the spearmen were in with the hand gunners for the 6th edition starter set.  Then I could pretend the spearmen were pikes. :icon_cool: :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:41:01 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"Passion is not a plan, it's a feeling.  And feelings change." Sorelle Amore

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Sharkbelly

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »
That was an awesome boxed set!

Offline brr-icy

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 09:09:54 AM »
they can be brought in as a rare choice, the books for dow and empire say which you can take

Offline Brother Sutek

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2021, 01:04:46 AM »
Tomb Kings were so powerful for a while. And then all of a sudden, not so much.

Yeah, 6th was definitely their time in the sun, itís just such a shame that half their units didnít exist when the army was strong.

I suppose Iím not so down on the 8E book, it was one of the weaker armies of that edition but I put up with it for the sake of my sphinxes and necro knights.

The sad irony is if you brought the sphinx and necro knights into the 7th edition army then TK would have been able to compete more than they did. I was able to do ok if not well in 7th but as said 8th the book was a mess. I've played with the TK book from 8th against 7th edition armies, adding only the ability to charge with magic and when tunnelling and spell effects able to heal characters. The book was much more fun and was competitive!
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 01:38:53 AM »
As an aside ... it is a bummer that the Tomb Kings are no longer being supported, and those Osiarch-PreNecrons are instead kicking around.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"Passion is not a plan, it's a feeling.  And feelings change." Sorelle Amore

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline brr-icy

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
As an aside ... it is a bummer that the Tomb Kings are no longer being supported, and those Osiarch-PreNecrons are instead kicking around.

I wholeheartedly agree, TK were my second army during 6th, and still one of my favorites. Their aesthetic and lore was some of the best. I have a "small" Tomb Kings army now (around 5k points) but I would like to add a couple more models to it so I can field the Sehenesmet list and switch it up to two skull chukkas once in a while