home

Author Topic: BUAs Vs Single Buildings  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
BUAs Vs Single Buildings
« on: January 05, 2021, 07:21:38 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:13 PM by Michael Stockin »
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: BUAs Vs Single Buildings
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:38:16 AM »
What does BUA stand for?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:19 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 10:51:58 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:24 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
Interesting. Beautiful terrain - is it yours? BUA is 3rd edition only so I don’t have much insight for you I am sorry!
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 11:05:47 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:29 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Von Zorn

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 11:10:56 AM »
It's complicated further by the rulebooks usually giving you rules for fighting for buildings and they make it sound like you are literally fighting for that one building rather than a full village etc. Again, the scale of the battle is fairly vague for various reasons. I lean towards treating everything on the table as literally 1:1, even if as I said before my imaginings afterwards feature vaster armies.

Offline WarhammerWodner

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 03:50:02 PM »
So this model would be a BUA

And whilst only 5 actual buildings, the whole template/base/model is used to represent an entire town of say 200 dwellings.
Rather than try and move models into the actual buildings you would say they are in the BUA and use rules for that.

Maybe treating them like woods or using the siege rules.

Hey Michael,

May I ask you how you did this model?
It looks pretty cool, I would like to create it, too.

Cheers, Wodner

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2021, 09:18:59 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:38 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:43 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2021, 03:41:50 PM »
Freakin awesome!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 04:34:54 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:48 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
Beautiful piece of terrain!

As to the BUA question... Wouldn't it be easy to treat every building as a single building, even if they're on a single terrain sheet, or BUA? For example when looking at that awesome house above, I would see no problem in measuring from the walls of the house instead of the border of the terrain sheet. And units close to the house could easily clip the terrain sheet, as it was scenery only, without any game mechanics.

Does 3rd ed say anything about how many models (and what size) a building can take? I remember 6th or 7th ed had a rule for how many models can be in a building, how many models can shoot out of the building, and how many models can partake in assaulting a building. Quite skirmishy rules indeed, but fun and in some ways simulative.

Was it 6th ed that came with armor value and hit points for individual doors? So that you could actually break through a door. But that might have been in the Skirmish rules, not in the Battle rules. Pretty versatile set of rules, the 6th ed rulebook!  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:53 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 01:58:10 AM »
Your concern makes sense. Its also why I dont abstract size of models or units to be more than they are, so I don’t have to do the mental gymnastics.

Offline Michael Stockin

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 09:20:14 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:13:58 PM by Michael Stockin »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
But when you have a base with several buildings on and the movement trays don't fit in the gaps between the buildings then it can get tricky.

Yes. That's when I would say the unit loses cohesion. In a block game, the unit would not enter. In Warhammer, you can pretty easily move individual models and play with them in skirmish manner. No rank bonuses, but otherwise the rules bend easily. (Think 6th ed skirmish.)

Also the scale issue. Let us assume you have a building and a movement tray both the same size.
But the unit on the tray represents a regiment of 500 troops, even though they both occupy the same footprint there is no realistic way that small cottage takes up the area of a regiment of men.
So do we assume the cottage is in fact a BUA of a village and we just use a single building to represent the whole BUA.

Personally, I think one model is roughly ten combatants. This has been stated as a design principle from the 3rd ed to the 6th ed, I think.

Then it logically follows that everything on the 28mm "scale" gaming table actually contains ten of what is present. So even a small cottage can be a hamlet, a farm, etc.

Or, if you imagine it's 1:1 scale, then each house is one house.

Both are fine.

Or as many people do, should we use smaller scale buildings so we can have what looks like a village taking up the same space as a regiment.

It all comes down to aesthetics. In wargames, buildings tend to be small and cramped compared to the figurines. Sometimes the "footprint" of the house is small but the height of the house (and the doors and windows) is in scale with the 28mm figurines, so that you get very thin and tall houses. It's also a fantasy art style. Makes good photos, both from the bird's eye and from the level of the 28mm eye. It's not very realistic, but works well enough.

Hope that makes sense?

Yes, all of it makes perfect sense. I guess it's your aesthetic taste and level of realism which must decide the issue in the end. I wouldn't have a problem either way (28mm buildings or smaller scale BUA's), as long as the interpretation/rules are stated beforehand. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.