home

Author Topic: What equals What?  (Read 281 times)

Offline Michael Stockin

• https://www.facebook.com/michael.stockin.18
What equals What?
« on: January 05, 2021, 09:40:15 PM »
When you assume the role of mighty general and you see your nice unit of 20 brave Helblitzen models moving across the table, how big is that unit to you?
Is it actually 20 men strong, 100, 200, more?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: What equals What?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:37:26 AM »
This question has been asked a lot in years past, and I believe the consensus was... inconsistent :biggriin:

I personally see them as they are - not representing more than an individual.
Part of my reasoning is based on big monsters like dragons and giants as well as terrain.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Von Zorn

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 09:44:00 AM »
For narrative purposes it's totally vague in my mind. When I look back on the battle, I might envision that clash between a block of 20 swordsmen and 25 Skaven as being a much larger scrap featuring hundreds of troops. During the game I seem to view it as 1:1. Logically with how formations move about it's aiming at the idea of larger units of troops. I believe I've seen it said that "officially" the scale would be something like 1:10 for most regulars, so a unit of 20 swordsmen is actually 200 men, and a character on a base represents that character and their bodyguard/entourage etc.

The thing I always struggle with when it comes to abstract scales is that usually the terrain is laid out as a 1:1 representation, with individual houses that match the size of the figures etc, which upsets the abstraction in my mind somehow, hence why I view it in game as 1:1.

The real answer is: vague. Whatever you want it to be.  :biggriin:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 09:47:41 AM »
The thing I always struggle with when it comes to abstract scales is that usually the terrain is laid out as a 1:1 representation, with individual houses that match the size of the figures etc, which upsets the abstraction in my mind somehow, hence why I view it in game as 1:1.

Exactly what I was trying to say.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Michael Stockin

• https://www.facebook.com/michael.stockin.18
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »
That all makes sense, it ties in a bit with my question about BUAs, a BUA is just that, not a 1:1 representation.

So a 15cm x 15cm BUA which may only have a couple of buildings on it could conceivably be a town if a base of 10 models is in fact 100 soldiers.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 11:03:58 AM »
Makes sense to me.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 02:53:35 PM »
In my imagination:
- one model equals roughly ten combatants
- one building is a village, and upwards from there

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline WarhammerWodner

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 03:45:10 PM »
In my imagination:
- one model equals roughly ten combatants
- one building is a village, and upwards from there

-Z

I think this calculation is roughly close to the truth.
I would say that you cannot give exact figures, though.
There is no 100% correct answer.

Cheers, Wodner