home

Author Topic: The times, they are a changing  (Read 216 times)

Offline Michael Stockin

• https://www.facebook.com/michael.stockin.18
The times, they are a changing
« on: February 03, 2021, 09:59:03 AM »
New to the forum and I have been away from both WFB and GW since WFB 3rd edition.

I recall back in my teens one of the great things about WFB was the setting, it was quite clearly based on history and as such it was easy to proxy historical figures as Empire troops.
The fantasy was generic enough that you could proxy other companies models and they would look like they belong in the pages of WD.
Indeed like many here I recall the days of WD being not in house but full of conversions and kitbashes and other companies stuff.

It was this indie approach and love of the hobby that spilled out from WD and made it ok to use whatever as whatever as long as you had fun.
Clearly times have changed and quite understandably GW are now a big global concern and want to make it all about their brand.

It is this shift toward their own IP that can be seen over the years as names change and become unique and ultimately trademarkable.
I don't blame them one bit.
But I do miss the days of deodorant stick land speeders and airfix tanks swelling the ranks of the Space Marines.

Like I say, I have been away for a long time and passing by GW as I often do at the local Mall, I can't help but see how things like AoS seem to me a way to control the appearance and thus the ability to proxy in other figures, making it all very much in house and nothing else is viable.
Like I say, I totally get it.

But I do miss the old days.
Or have my glasses just gotten tinted with age?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
Re: The times, they are a changing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 10:28:52 AM »
You nailed it regarding GW.

But these days there are many, many other companies, and I see people are still buying from several sources, doing their own kitbashes, and scratchbuilding too is still a thing.

What I would say is that GW models have become more "realistic" in representing the GW universes, and people who want exactly that look can get it straight from the box without compromises. And the hobby has probably grown because of that. Monopose plastic snap-kits are way easier than the other extreme, multi-part metal or metal-and-resin models. IP, TM and (c) have become stricter in the toy industry, and like you said, GW is wise in protecting their IP and thus shifting away from generalist looks and non-protected ideas. But that doesn't mean you cannot build whatever you want!

If you want to see people kitbash and scratch-build, you can easily find groups where that is the main thing. I'm following a couple of such groups in Facebook, and they are also present as niches in more generalist groups. But I'm sure they exist in other media too if FB is not your cup of tea.

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline Michael Stockin

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:42:44 AM »
You nailed it regarding GW.

But these days there are many, many other companies, and I see people are still buying from several sources, doing their own kitbashes, and scratchbuilding too is still a thing.

Indeed, I sold one that did 6mm sci-fi and I have one that does 15mm desert fantasy in a Conan style.

In fact the reason I got back into WFB was that my own 15mm stuff has it's own lore and rules and setting and I am quite protective of the official lore in terms of what is what when I play, BUT I totally don't mind others tweaking it or totally ignoring it for their own games.
But when I play my setting I play it as is, and that means full on serious moody nerd games.
My wife likes playing games but she treats my own setting with less gravitas than pleases me so I looked for something I would not mind playing with her if she was less than 100% into it.

And that is when I remembered WFB.

:biggriin:

Offline Michael Stockin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 10:44:18 AM »

What I would say is that GW models have become more "realistic" in representing the GW universes,

Or...
Have they changed what was established lore where you could use anything, to a lore that has a very very distinct appearance and names so that other models don't proxy well?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »
I don't think GW has come up with anything truly unique even when the looks of their miniatures have distinctly changed. And even if they did, the 3d freelances quickly capitulate on it and you can soon find alternative designs in the web, and up till now also physical models in kickstarters.

Do you have a specific model or looks in mind, that you cannot find alternatives for, or cannot easily kitbash from bits from various companies?

Actually, I'm also seeing that GW looks back to their own old miniature lines and aesthetics and remakes them. Just yesterday I saw a 40K imperial commissar and thought it was Rogue Trader or 2nd ed. But I was told it comes from a recent plastic box. Looked exactly like the early 90's!

With the new plurality (of games, and of warbands in those games), new designs flirting with current fantasy themes, and larger scale, GW is also entering a dangerous ground where all Wyrd: Malifaux, PP: Warmachine, Rackham: Confrontation, Reaper etc. etc. models start to better fit the GW games/universes. These days when I see a new GW sculpts, I often reckon I've seen a similar figurine from another company earlier!

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline Michael Stockin

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 10:57:38 AM »

Do you have a specific model or looks in mind, that you cannot find alternatives for, or cannot easily kitbash from bits from various companies?

Nah, I am just thinking out loud, though my WFB is 10/12mm so it is all proxies  :D

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »
Buying and reading Beastgrave has become quite the education.  The setting is a W:AoS location called Ghur ... supposably some sort of beastial land, one of the 8 "Mortal Realms".  I bought the game because I liked the figures ... seemingly a beastman and wood elf vibe to them.  However, the "wood elfs" aren't really what I'd call wood elfs after all, they look more like beasts, all of them have hooves.  And in both warbands, the figures are quite variable in look, it is like having different beasts with different skills going at it with each other, akin to humans having different classes and going at each other in small warbands.  And of course all the figures are not interchangeable with their parts, unlike the days gone past.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"Passion is not a plan, it's a feeling.  And feelings change." Sorelle Amore

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me