home

Author Topic: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...  (Read 18032 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Rumors and what's new to be expected for The Old World ...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 11:15:06 PM »
Aaargh! Stop! Stop!! The vortex is dragging me in. I CANNOT afford this nonsense on the horizon. I have nothing left to mortgage.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 12:37:01 PM »
You have kids don’t you? :evil:
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 06:20:23 PM »
I posted this in the gamer thread but I thought it might be good here as well.

Trailer for the new Total Warhammer game coming. A Boyar goes bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JWqlDxEQps

There's also a lot of talk about how closely GW is working with the game company when it comes to The Old World, and how they're working to share ascetics and stuff. So there's a chance we can get some ideas about what The Old World game will be like based on this. For example, I notice we see both bear cavalry and ice maidens in this trailer. Both things previewed as coming in The Old World...

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 09:12:02 AM »
If it's anything to go by, new plastic Kislevites are going to be pretty cool! The huge ice golem/bear thing is clearly already ticking the box of huge monster unit to be expected.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
I'm interested to see what folks say on the board (I remember Demigryphs coming out.) but I actually like the idea of Bear Cav. They look neat and would be fantastic converting opportunities for heroes and lords.

The witch warriors? Ice maidens? I also think look neat. I'd use them sparingly if I got any, dont want to much magic infused stuff, but as a special unit I think they fit in.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 04:44:31 PM »
Another new trailer for Total Warhammer is out, and with tons of new pictures. While its a seperate video game, we're fairly sure its going to be linked to the Old World so could be some good hints.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/13/a-giant-bear-beats-up-daemons-in-total-war-warhammer-iiis-new-gameplay-trailer/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 04:45:32 PM »
Apparently one of the streams confirmed all the Kislev stuff from the game will be in Old World, Im just to lazy to look for a time stamp.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
I like that they are fleshing out Kislev.  The idea that there've got multiple heraldry assigned to different areas of their region is great! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Imagine if they fleshed out Tilea more.  Of course I am dreaming. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_lol:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 11:06:29 PM »
Good stuff, but that ice bear elemental looks awfully high fantasy...  :closed-eyes: :happy: :-P

Old Stonebeard
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 11:16:07 PM »
Welcome to the influence of W:AoS. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 12:03:47 AM »
Good stuff, but that ice bear elemental looks awful...

I agree  :evil: :wink:

Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 10:22:27 AM »
Some pretty interesting troop types there from the Survival mode gameplay trailer.

Tsar guard look like nicely styled Kislev footsloggers with *cue Skyrim accent* curved swords, Kossars bringing the ranged attacks, Winged Lancers, War Bear cavalry, a bear-carriage Tsar cannon "Little Grom", couple of characters, ice guard and the women with ice bows all looking good, but I'm most intrigued by a unit called Streltsi!?

It's blokes with great axes... that are also rifles!? Shoot 'em from the handle then hack 'em to bits with the other end!

Ha!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 10:48:09 AM »
It's blokes with great axes... that are also rifles!? Shoot 'em from the handle then hack 'em to bits with the other end!

They are based on historical Muscovy units. By WHFRP 2 fluff, the first Streltsi were Kossar regiments from Erengrad the Prince their sought to modernize. The idea has spread to other parts of Kislev and Kossar regiments from other regions are sent to the drilling school there for a similar upgrade.

Kossars are of course loosely based on the Cossacks of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth what with their limited and hereditary number but I wonder how much of that fluff will work itself in to either the tabletop or W3TW. I've not watched all the various other test runs of the battle by media so if some folks have seen any Ungol Horsemen, lower grade melee infantry, or I hope War Wagons I'd be curious to hear of them.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 01:47:03 AM »
Good stuff, but that ice bear elemental looks awful...

I agree  :evil: :wink:

You're not wrong.  :ph34r:
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 11:25:50 AM »
Haven't heard a peep from GW since February 3rd.  has anyone else seen new info?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 05:49:46 PM »
Nope, not yet. Although there's a ton of rumours about if/what Old World stuff will be on the new Warhammer Streaming Service.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 12:37:29 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/21/square-bases-and-kislev-ascendant-see-your-questions-about-warhammer-the-old-world-answered/

Square bases! Being able to field the old armies. Set during the Age of the three Emperors.  :biggriin:
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
So first update since February.  Good to see.

Seems like they are coming up with a square based game system, with rank and file, and using rules from the old editions as well.  Interesting.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2021, 04:08:48 PM »
Interesting to see the new Kislev borders to.

Students of Warhammer lore will also note that the borders of Kislev are very different from what they may be familiar with. The eastern border is not here defined by the World’s Edge Mountains, but in fact extends through the Belyevobota Pass, through the Great Skull Lands – northernmost reaches of the Dark Lands – through the Mountains of Mourn, and out into the limitless expanses of the eastern steppes beyond. Clearly, at this time Kislev was a vast empire indeed, its territories encompassing lands said by some to be haunted by Hobgoblins, Centaurs and Half-Orcs, though who can say which of these, if any, are true?

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2021, 04:47:50 PM »
Big focus on Kislev it seems, no surprise there though. I guess Kislev vs Chaos will likely be the starter set?

Given the setting in the timeline as well it certainly makes things interesting, are we going to see Magnus the Pious getting a miniature perhaps???

Also wonder if the Empire's civil war will open up the opportunity to have stylistically different human factions beyond just Empire/Bretonnia.

Ah well, it'll still be years off yet but good to have an update :::cheers:::

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »
I have a pile of grey empire plastic still around. I sold most finished stuff, war machines etc. But I could not part with my with my mortar, "Chalice of Sigmars wrath" so I got that still!

Stirland fur immer!
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 11:29:53 PM »
And in this era of the Empire ... does anyone know how Stirland aligned themselves?

Suspect Middenland covers Nordland, Ostland, and Hochland, maybe Hochland is in with Talabecland, Ostermark, and perhaps Stirland included, and imagine Reikland, Averland, and Wissenland are together.  Hopefully, there's someone more familiar with the fluff of those times than I.

Regardless, good have this newest word regarding the project. :::cheers:::

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 11:10:10 AM »
I am pretty excited about new kislev models, the bear cav especially. But I don't have any faith in GW's rule writers at this point, they haven't written a good set of rules that i enjoy playing for about 15 years. We will see, i am definitely tentatively interested in the game as a whole.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »
I'm not uninterested in Kislev, and suspect the motif could bring a lot of former Empire players, and some new players from W:AoS, back to the Old World.

As for rules, definitely more of the wait and see attitude here, and trying not to get my hopes up.  Plus, here's hoping they don't just complete it as a project, and there's some momentum to continue moving forward in a positive fashion, although I'm not betting on it.