home

Author Topic: I think I got it, at last!  (Read 731 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
I think I got it, at last!
« on: December 24, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
After a couple of years experimenting with acrylics (using different primers, undercoats, paints, varnishes and anti-shines) I think I have finally found a way to match my old enamel paint 'cartoon' style, so that new figures will fit in perfectly with my old armies.

I have always known my cartoon style is not to everyone's liking, but I am keen to maintain it as a signature style. There is one thing I am doing different though. My faces/hands were always awfully hit and miss, so now I am simply basecoating and applying a shade paint. The rest of the figure (clothes, weapons, the lot) will match my old style.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: I think I got it, at last!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
Good job :eusa_clap:

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 02:37:55 PM »
Even if I wouldn't do it myself, mainly because I can't paint, I find that you taking care to find a style and maintaining it is a laudable thing. So, well done!
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 02:38:11 PM »
Looks awesomely good! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »
And now I have changed tack again. Instead of continuing the replication of my old style, I decided to try brushing Army Painter dip on then applying Ultra Matte Varnish.

Here are three new (old) handgunners which I painted in the slightly different blue and white livery of Portomaggiore (different from my campaigns quartered blue and white Pavonans). I have put each one next to an old, enamel style figure.

The old ones are pure enamel, no varnish, 'cartoon' style. The new ones are wholly acrylic, then a brushed on dip, then varnished. I did no black lining in the new ones.

The last one I did not have the exact figure to compare, so I used a model which was similar in pose.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 01:23:20 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 01:03:08 PM »
Folks do let the dip be the final coat, although some also use the colors to highlight up off the dip.

You've come a long way to get to this point so congrats! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra