home

Author Topic: Frostgrave  (Read 134245 times)

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
Re: Frostgrave
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2015, 09:28:55 PM »
How did you get on rufus?
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:57 AM »
I like the rulebook, but hate that a lot of the rules are so straightforward. I can't read them because I keep thinking "I've seen this dozens of times before" and thus I don't learn the rules.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2015, 04:36:46 AM »
I've bought the book, I've gotten excited about building a warband, and now I've discovered neither of my LGS's have apparently ever heard of Frostgrave and they don't seem interested in promoting the game. Of course neither had heard of Kings of War either and they laughed at Old Hammer.  :eusa_wall:

At this point I think I could apply for refugee status to Europe on the grounds that the American Midwest is over run by zombies.

Where in the Midwest?  I'm in Indianapolis.  I haven't seen any Frostgrave merchandise at all around here.  I would really like the game to succeed for the models, but they don't seem to have a US marketing strategy or even a distributor..
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
I've bought the book, I've gotten excited about building a warband, and now I've discovered neither of my LGS's have apparently ever heard of Frostgrave and they don't seem interested in promoting the game. Of course neither had heard of Kings of War either and they laughed at Old Hammer.  :eusa_wall:

At this point I think I could apply for refugee status to Europe on the grounds that the American Midwest is over run by zombies.

Where in the Midwest?  I'm in Indianapolis.  I haven't seen any Frostgrave merchandise at all around here.  I would really like the game to succeed for the models, but they don't seem to have a US marketing strategy or even a distributor..

So far you can only get it over at Northstar themselves, I believe.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:08 AM »
Just spoken to Nick at Northstar:

Hi Mark

We aren't distributed by the big boys, (Alliance) which is why a lot of US LGS won't have heard of us.

Our distributor is Golden Distribution who also trade as Warpath Games.
They can supply the LGS.

Our main mail order guy is Brigade Games USA, he runs a successful mail order service in the US.

We also have a number of US LGS who come direct to us.

The book is available through Osprey's own distribution channels in the US as well.

Hope that helps.

Nick
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline The Red Graf

• Members
  • Slava Ukraini, Alba gu bràth!
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2015, 12:39:09 PM »

Kansas City.
ultima ratio regum

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »
Spell cards are on the way, apparently!

Campaign log

Professor Mira Lund has held the post of Chair of Intangible Wonders for many years, during which she has never - as far as anyone can remember - left the grounds of Icefall College. When word reached the college that the frozen city of Frostgrave had begun to thaw and was now passable, Professor Lund was the first to submit an expedition proposal. So surprised were the funding council that they approved the request immediately. Within a week, the professor had selected a student as her assistant, hired a group of guides and bodyguards, and set out for the lost city.

Professor Lund is skilled in a variety of useful magical techniques, but has no experience of battle magic. However, she is a noted fencer, favouring the sword-and-dagger technique.

Professor Mira Lund [Illusionist] - glow, transpose, illusionary soldier, reveal secret, shield, write scroll, raise zombie, animate construct.
Sword and dagger.
Ysolda [apprentice] - sword and dagger.
Froki [tracker]
Gunmar [crossbowman]
Erik [archer]
Torvar [archer]
Garthar [thief]
Vorstag [thug]
Stenvar [thug]

The Professor's first foray into the city was a quest for the mysterious Living Museum. She was to face a rival band of dwarfs, led by an enchanter. I began by casting my five (!) out of game spells. I failed to write a scroll or to reveal a secret, but did manage to build a small construct (a walking book), raise a zombie, and create an illusionary knight. The enemy enchanter built a medium construct.

I only took two pictures. This one shows the Living Museum, with its statues that come to life when the treasure is disturbed. The shop had set this table up, using only four statues instead of six.

The other two treasures were placed on their own on the other side of the board.

Some events from the game:

- An enemy thug ran for a treasure token on the left side of the board. My zombie and thief charged in before he could pick it up. In the resulting battle, the thug and thief killed each other in a single shot (in a drawn combat, both sides do damage). The zombie was left standing by the treasue... had it possessed a brain, it would have been confused.

- My book construct took a treasure token, waking a statue that pounced on it. My wizard transposed the book constuct with my tracker, allowing the book to escape with the treasure.

- My apprentice cast glow on the enemy enchanter... then my crossbowman shot him down!

- In fact, glow => shoot happened rather a lot. I also took out his apprentice this way.

- In the museum, my wizard carelessly got too close to the action and was charged by the last remaining enemy model - a man-at-arms on one wound. He took my wizard out of action! I shot him in revenge.

The game ended, since no enemies remained. My opponent had claimed one treasure, while I had five (two removed during the game, three left on the board). Five of my models had been taken out of action: the tracker, an archer, the thief, a thug, and my wizard. The wizard survived, but lost her items (just a sword and dagger, which I could replace for 10 gold). The thief survived unharmed. The thug was injured and would miss the next game. The tracker and archer were dead! The small construct stays on, while the zombie and illusionary knight vanish after the game (I can re-summon them before the next game).

However, I had five treasure tokens. All five consisted of gold and a spellbook. The spells were: call storm (from my opposed school, so too hard to cast), spelleater (also not useful, since it's a neutral school while the superior 'dispel' is allied), wizard eye (useful, and from an allied school), beauty (illusionist spell!), write scroll (had already). Since I already had write scroll, that book could be sold for 250 gold. Together with the other gold I'd collected, this made a total of about 750.

My wizard gained three levels: I chose to increase her fight stat by one, decrease the casting number for write scroll by one, and learn a spell (beauty).

After the first game, you get to found a base. I chose the inn, which allows my warband to have an additional model. I bought the kennel upgrade (250 gold) which allows you to have a dog that doesn't count towards the limit either. Then I also bought carrier pigeons (5 gold, reduce the cost of hiring soldiers by 1 each).

So, I have four warband slots open, one of which is for a dog. I'm not sure if I should replace the tracker and archer, or buy better shooty soldiers instead : rangers or marksmen. For the last slot I either want a knight, templar or barbarian. I'm not sure which. I have more than enough gold.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »
Looks fun! Seems like your book construct is R2D2. What happens if your sorcerer had died? Do you have to completely reset everyone?

Seems like shooting is quite powerful in this game.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »
If the wizard actually dies, you start over - unless you're level 10 or more, in which case the apprentice takes over. It's also possible for the wizard to suffer permanent injuries!

I might rage quit if the wizard dies!  ::heretic::

Shooting is powerful, yes. I think there's meant to be more terrain on the boards. One of the other boards in the shop had a lot more.

Quote from: Karl Voss of Averland
I think you should bring Von Halfling as a consultant. And for luck.

Actually, he wasn't that lucky, was he...

I think he killed a vampire with a single bowshot! But then died in the next game (Mordheim).

I'm wondering about using some halfling models in my warband, but I'm not sure it's in theme.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »
Just say they're children. You can say that Professor Mira Lund volunteer teaches at a local Primary School in her free time. Does Icefall College have any child labor laws?

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
But they'd be barefoot children in a frozen city!
If I wanted to.

Offline thorimm

• Members
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2015, 03:49:52 PM »
But they'd be barefoot children in a frozen city!

Nothing keeps you more awake than cold feet.   :icon_wink:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2015, 06:04:26 PM »
Right because the kind of people taking children into a wizard fight, deep inside a ruined frozen city to fight other war bands, are going to be worried about them getting a bit chilly.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2015, 11:31:01 PM »
This is really entertaining. Thank you for the report, rufus.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2015, 11:52:31 PM »
Thanks for the report, it seems to give a flavor of what this game is like, appreciate that. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »
This game needs to go mainstream. Looks really fun.

Thanks for sharing Rufus! Keep it coming! :::cheers:::

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »
It's big. At least on TMP.

And they have sold out the first two print runs and are releasing a third supplement.

It's probably Osprey's biggest thing since Lion Rampant.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2015, 01:54:10 PM »
I really do like Ospreys line of rule-sets they've been putting out. Some obviously being more hits than misses than others, but in general all being quite decent. Frostgrave of course being one of their big hits.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2015, 02:09:45 PM »
Looks like I'll have to prioritize assembling and painting these guys in time for that one bash with the euro.

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2015, 11:52:07 PM »
Bought the rules at Barnes & Noble on my way in to work at the hobby shop today (because I needed something to read during lunch, and you all had been raving about it, and, well, it was there).

Started work at noon.  By 2pm I was looking through our distributors to see if I could get Frostgrave stuff (or at least the rules) onto our shelves (no, but only because they're out of stock).

So going to get my gaming group to play this tomorrow.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2015, 12:37:31 AM »
Per Northstar and Midaski ... here is Brigade Games USA ...

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/Frostgrave_c_578.html

Evidently they are selling the books and figures, the latter being the various wizard characters and the box set of soldiers.

"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline arjunstc

• Members
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2015, 05:26:46 AM »
I think it bears repeating (sorry) that you don't *need* "Frostgrave figures" to play the game (although you can get them in a bundle with the rules from Northstar, and they look like very fine figures).

You can really start a warband with two "magic-user" like figures (wizard, priest, necromancer, whatever) and a dozen or so rouge or fighter type figures. Throw in some terrain, a few markers for treasures, and some monsters (don't matter which type, just proxy!), and you have a game!

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2015, 08:53:56 AM »
While technically you're right, I think it would be a shame to not get the minis that go with the game. They're great, especially the soldier sprues. So many doohickeys that are amazing, not like all the random crap on GW's state troops. Oh, I'd also like to report that my earlier idea of adding plastic skeleton bits from GW didn't work out. The styles don't match. Scalewise, not too much difference as far as I could tell.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »
Njal surveyed the densely packed ruins where the treasures were supposed to be with some trepidation. His band had been hastily assembled, and although the Templar and the two Archers seemed solid enough, the two Thieves and the Thuggess Triplet Sisters were untested; Njal was certain that he and his apprentice Postle would need to be at their very best.
He called Postle to him and tested that the apprentice was correctly versed in the spells he had been taught. Telekinesis would prove useful to 'float' treasure back to a safer position, and Leap to magically move band members in the murkey alleys was a must. Grenade to damage foolish rivals who grouped too closely, and then Curse and Furious Quill would help weaken the performance of any who dared to challenge.
Confident as he was in his Templar, Strength would improve his fight ability and Elemental Hammer to power his Great Weapon was not to be ignored.
Finally the two spellcasters discussed Wizards Eye, but Postle pointed out that any flat walls in such a dense conurbation had limited line of sight.

The Battle Area:
The West side where Njal would deploy:

The Eastern edge where a Thaumaturge was preparing to come on.

The Northern edge:

The South Side:

Turn 1.
Njal decided to take a thuggess and the two archers with him and move through the left side of the ruined temple, whilst Postle was accompanied by the Templar, a thief and one of the triplets heading towards the tower on the left flank.
The remaining triplet went over to the right flank with a thief with orders to carefully explore that area.

Njal activated his group and moved forward - then casting Leap on the Sister to grab a treasure on the first floor of a building. The two archers spotted an enemy bowman high up on a building and let fly to good effect:

The winds of magic crackled and Njal was aware of an Illumination spell that fizzled out before reaching him, but his smug satisfaction as he felt the enemy wizard take damage (-1Health) for his failure was short lived as an arrow wounded him. (-4 Health)

Postle moved his group and tried to give the Templar some extra Strength, but his nervousness saw him fail and also take damage (-1H).

On the right flank the Thuggess and the Thief ( sounds like a good title for a film  :engel: )
spotted a treasure chest and greedily prepared to move forward and claim it.

Turn 2
Njal stayed tucked next to the protection of the building and conjured up Telekinesis and floated a treasure back towards his men, whilst one archer loosed an arrow without effect. The Thaumaturge protected his remaining Archer with Shield, and Postle failed with Strength yet again but only narrowly. The enemy Apprentice failed dismally with Blinding Light and took damage again (-1H).
Njals other archer crept forward and shot successfully at a Treasure Hunter (-6H).

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:45:48 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?