home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 42206 times)

Offline Gankom

• The World Builder
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #750 on: June 05, 2021, 02:40:52 PM »
Even most of the young uns these days dont like youtube. They've all moved to Twitch. My little cousins who all use to watch Lets Plays religiously never stop talking about how badly the quality of youtube has dropped, which is ironic to hear considering how long I've been grumbling about it.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #751 on: June 06, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »
So, Lower Decks. I only watched the first Episode, and didnít immediately like it. I donít like the two main characters. They are just too over the top for my tastes. I much preferred Final Space - however I still havenít watched season 2.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #752 on: June 07, 2021, 03:57:42 AM »
The first couple of episodes are the weakest IMHO but it picks up and really ends strong. The characters are a bit more complex than the first episode really lets on. The last 3 episodes are by far my favorite.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
ďDude, suckiní at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.Ē
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #753 on: June 10, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
Oh I imagine there is complexity there. They have set it up to have more nuance. I just canít stand their personalities so really donít want to watch any more. Which is a shame, because my wife and I just just finished Picard and really enjoyed it.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #754 on: June 10, 2021, 09:26:40 PM »
I picked up the new [I think its new] Spartacus TV series. Its so over the top its funny. The fight scenes are so cartoonishly gory and over the top. Its like something out of Mortal kombat.
The shows clearly been made to appeal to the 300 crowd

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
« Reply #755 on: June 11, 2021, 11:37:06 PM »
I picked up the new [I think its new] Spartacus TV series. Its so over the top its funny. The fight scenes are so cartoonishly gory and over the top. Its like something out of Mortal kombat.
The shows clearly been made to appeal to the 300 crowd
It's not new, but everything else you said is 100% accurate. The only thing you got 'wrong' was the thing you admitted you could be wrong about. I like the clarity and truth of your statement.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
« Reply #756 on: June 12, 2021, 04:54:29 PM »
I watched the Star Trek episode "Arena" with my girls the other day. My oldest was excited/scared watching the Gorn chase Kirk around. It was a delight.

It's criminal that there isn't more Gorn episodes throughout Trek.

The Gorn show up barley a handful of times but is one of the iconic aliens of the TOS series. I think in total there are 4 episodes throughout Star Trek that have them show up.

TOS: Arena
TAS: The Time Trap
ENT: In A Mirror Darkly
LDS: Veritas

(I'm not including the skeleton in DIS, that would be like saying that the Alien was in Predator 2 because you see a skull)

I know one of the arguments have been the CGI or costuming was too goofy, but after rewatching "Arena" I thought it looked great. Sure they remastered it and had CGI blinking, but honestly it looks just as good as some of the TNG aliens we meet. Mick Fleetwood's fish alien from TNG looks worse than the Gorn from Arena.

I guess it feels like a missed opportunity that TNG and DS9 could have had some Gorn show up, either centered on in an episode or roaming the promenade. Maybe Worf and Riker/Sisko have to mediate between the Gorn and Klingons or something. It would have been nice to have some more of the Gorn show up. Especially some Gorn ships! Could you imagine if they joined the alliance against the Dominion as a counter to the Breen?

I know there's some books/comics/games out there where they show up (I remember them being playable in Starfleet Command which took place in the Kirk movie eras, and are conquered by the Klingons in Star Trek Online), but it just feels like a missed opportunity that they haven't shown up in the shows or movies.

Apparently a Gorn was suppose to be in Nemesis as Worf's +1 at Riker's wedding but it was cut. Ugh, I want that! I want that story about Worf's Gorn friend!

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
ďDude, suckiní at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.Ē
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #757 on: June 13, 2021, 08:07:27 AM »
I remember my Dad getting up early in the 90's so he could watch the old Star Trek cartoon on Saturday morning