home

Author Topic: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Which Is Your Favourite Edition of WFB?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
So it is interesting that in the ravaging hordes the Greatswords don't have any armour.   Also I'm wondering if people would object if I just borrowed the pikemen from the Dogs of War and added them to the Empire list.   They would cost 5 skaven slaves a pop so I think they fit in with the costing of 6th edition fairly well.

Ravening Hordes Greatswords followed the 4th & 5th ed rules for Greatswords. The new 6th ed Greatswords with full plate armour were published very soon after RH, but at the very time the 6th came out they weren't there yet.

I'm all OK for using DoW Pikemen in Empire armies as normal State Troop units (so not a Rare choice). They are not overpowered for their points.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:16 PM »
Ravening Hordes Greatswords followed the 4th & 5th ed rules for Greatswords. The new 6th ed Greatswords with full plate armour were published very soon after RH, but at the very time the 6th came out they weren't there yet.
-Z

The old greatsword models make much more sense when you realise that they had no armour before 6th.

Also I like the idea of pikemen with handgunner detachments, reminds me the right era.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:49:54 PM by commandant »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2021, 11:52:42 PM »
When I first picked up WFB towards the end of 6th edition, I was thrilled that the spearmen were in with the hand gunners for the 6th edition starter set.  Then I could pretend the spearmen were pikes. :icon_cool: :icon_lol:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 11:41:01 AM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2021, 08:54:04 AM »
That was an awesome boxed set!

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2021, 09:09:54 AM »
they can be brought in as a rare choice, the books for dow and empire say which you can take

Offline Brother Sutek

• Members
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2021, 01:04:46 AM »
Tomb Kings were so powerful for a while. And then all of a sudden, not so much.

Yeah, 6th was definitely their time in the sun, it’s just such a shame that half their units didn’t exist when the army was strong.

I suppose I’m not so down on the 8E book, it was one of the weaker armies of that edition but I put up with it for the sake of my sphinxes and necro knights.

The sad irony is if you brought the sphinx and necro knights into the 7th edition army then TK would have been able to compete more than they did. I was able to do ok if not well in 7th but as said 8th the book was a mess. I've played with the TK book from 8th against 7th edition armies, adding only the ability to charge with magic and when tunnelling and spell effects able to heal characters. The book was much more fun and was competitive!
I may disagree with what you say but I respect your right to be punished for it.

"CRRUUDDDAAAAAAACCCCEEEEEEE!!!!!!" <shakes fist at the sky>
-Pirate Robot Ninja of Death

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 01:38:53 AM »
As an aside ... it is a bummer that the Tomb Kings are no longer being supported, and those Osiarch-PreNecrons are instead kicking around.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
As an aside ... it is a bummer that the Tomb Kings are no longer being supported, and those Osiarch-PreNecrons are instead kicking around.

I wholeheartedly agree, TK were my second army during 6th, and still one of my favorites. Their aesthetic and lore was some of the best. I have a "small" Tomb Kings army now (around 5k points) but I would like to add a couple more models to it so I can field the Sehenesmet list and switch it up to two skull chukkas once in a while

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
they can be brought in as a rare choice, the books for dow and empire say which you can take

True but I want to use them as a core choice rather than a rare choice as the idea of a longer stick just seems to make sense for me.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 11:07:27 PM »
6th. Possibly 7th but I don't remember much of it. 8th was hot garbage and I remember this very forum calling it out on being hot garbage the year it dropped.

Old Stonebeard
you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2021, 08:09:41 AM »
6th. Possibly 7th but I don't remember much of it. 8th was hot garbage and I remember this very forum calling it out on being hot garbage the year it dropped.

Agree.

On the other hand, this forum also had a very loud group of people who absolutely loved the 8th ed and argued for it very vocally. Including personal attacks. (Not the EEFL people, who are nice guys.) More than the shortcomings of the 8th ed, it was this heated atmosphere that I found off-putting at the time.

-Z

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »
they [pikemen] can be brought in as a rare choice, the books for dow and empire say which you can take

True but I want to use them as a core choice rather than a rare choice as the idea of a longer stick just seems to make sense for me.

I always picture the spearmen in the rules are actually pikemen. If one model equals about ten combatants, and if the spears are the only weapon able to strike from the second rank, you pretty much have pikes in action, within the granulation allowed by the game.

I know Priestly/GW always had a RPG approach to weapons, and thus created rules for pikes striking in four ranks, and dual-wielding, etc. etc. But for an army level approach with regiments and detachments, the rules for spears rather support the immersion of pikes.

IMHO, of course. :-)

-Z

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2021, 02:55:07 AM »
Well, I am just getting started still but I have to say that I think the 6th edition Rulebook is a work of art. It seems to me that Tuomas had a great deal of influence on the direction of 6th. As a matter of fact, it was the art in the Rulebook that really got my attention too because I always felt previous versions of WFB were campy and silly looking. 6th seemed to change all of that and it started to look and feel like a fantasy world that I could step into, as opposed to Saturday morning cartoons.

Plus it gives you a lot of ways to play the game, which is something I hope to explore once I get some basic games in.

And while I do love and prefer an Empire-Orc mix up in a starter set, I love Skull Pass, and it’s those two armies and prob 7th edition rules I will start with when I play a friend or two. Once I get those rules down I’ll explore 6th more. There just feels like there is so much to 6th that it’s a little overwhelming and I feel like 7th does a better job explaining things.

I do plan on playing 8th with the starter contents, but I have heard enough here and elsewhere that 8th is the worst of the last three. I will say this too: GW really blew it with that box set, and apparently with the rules, then killing the whole game/universe. I understand creative destruction, but what the hell. I have zero interest in Sigmar, and prob never will. I am surprised others like it enough to hear they are working on a 3rd release of that soon. I wonder how things would have turned out if they didn’t . . . up 8th so badly.

(Edit by mod for swearing.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:26:16 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2021, 06:36:12 AM »
probably wouldn't have sigmar lol

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2021, 08:32:17 AM »
Well, I am just getting started still but I have to say that I think the 6th edition Rulebook is a work of art. It seems to me that Tuomas had a great deal of influence on the direction of 6th. As a matter of fact, it was the art in the Rulebook that really got my attention too because I always felt previous versions of WFB were campy and silly looking. 6th seemed to change all of that and it started to look and feel like a fantasy world that I could step into, as opposed to Saturday morning cartoons.

Plus it gives you a lot of ways to play the game, which is something I hope to explore once I get some basic games in.

Amen.

Mordheim and 6th ed WHFB are gold standard products. Some like to break them, and can, but that doesn't take away the fact they're the culmination of the Old World fantasy games. Add Warmaster and - why not - mighty empires. Total coverage from individual skirmish to massive horde armies and map campaigns. Massive model support: nearly all 90s models still in production (mail order), and new multipart plastics for nearly all unit types that come in larger regiments.

I have zero interest in Sigmar, and prob never will. I am surprised others like it enough to hear they are working on a 3rd release of that soon.

AoS has very successfully challenged Warmachine/Hordes and other mass-skirmish-battle games, it has sucked in people from the 40K who didn't like fantasy battles before, and its visuals have spoken to a whole new generation who didn't find the sometimes historical and sometimes geeky fantasy battle sculpts to their liking. Modern games often don't pay that much attention to the setting.

AoS is a beast of its own, and I don't see the point in comparing it to rank-and-flank fantasy battles. I've never (yet) played AoS, but at least since 2016 it has been a solid product with a very successful business acumen. I just hope I had bought GW stock when it was filthy cheap!

-Z

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 04:31:36 AM »
aos is more of a 40k reskin than i would like.

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 08:15:23 PM »

Old Stonebeard

This. I started with 6th and played through 7th and 8th basically ended it for me and my gaming group. Haven't picked it up since.
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2022, 10:28:08 AM »
Refresh my memory, what were the (big) rulebook changes from 6th to 7th?

Offline Petitionerscity

• Members
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2022, 03:54:20 PM »
Is there a best edition to play now? Or would you recommend either 9th edition project (the Warhammer armies project or 9th age)?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2022, 04:14:08 PM »
Suspect different folks will have different replies to such questions.

Regarding "best" ... depends on how one enjoys the game.  Personally I recall enjoying 6th edition more than 7th edition, and didn't enjoy 8th edition at all.  Although, I haven't played 6th or 7th in ... ages.  More likely to return to playing 6th edition, except if GW comes out with their next iteration of WFB, than I could see myself perhaps giving a go to that, but we'll see.

As for 9th vs. 9th Age ... is 9th referring to W:AoS?

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2022, 01:33:31 AM »
Is 9th edition the famed (or infamous) Warhammer Armies Project? I've heard its really good and freely available. Has anyone played it? I've only been messing with it on BattleScribe but haven't heard much in the way of it being played on this site.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Petitionerscity

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2022, 08:34:08 AM »
Yeah by "9th" I mean the (really well done) Warhammer Armies Project - http://warhammerarmiesproject.blogspot.com/?m=1. It's almost like an old world project, a kind of "best of" edition using 8th as a starting point but trying to capture elements of other editions - and bring back old units and special characters.

A friend had suggested it over 9th Age, as the latter felt too different for them, whereas WAP (or "9th" as we termed it), felt very familiar (and has the lore!).

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2022, 12:27:20 PM »
I took a look at 9th age when I first started getting into WFB, and going through the army lists I was seeing minimum unit sizes of like 30 models. Immediately lost interest. I guess I could play with less but if the rules are geared to play units that large it isn't for me.

I don't remember what army it was, but I saw it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2022, 12:35:56 PM »
The large unit sizes being encouraged in 8th seemed like such a bad choice.  I hope if they really bring WFB back from the dead, that they don't stick with encouraging large unit sizes.  I like having lots of small units, and being able to move them around a 6x4 table.  Even the new reduction in size for some of the gaming that GW is encouraging is a turn off for me.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2022, 01:20:27 PM »
Regarding "best" ... depends on how one enjoys the game.

Ok I am going to take a shot at this from a noobie point of view. I am still calling myself a noob since I have yet to play a proper game even after getting all the starters up to 8th, or even finished painting a complete unit. But when I do play games these days its very casually, meaning I don't get caught up in debating rules. Worse case scenario roll a dice for it and move on. So I am looking at this from the point of view where I am sitting and looking at a collection from various eras, and which set do I want to spend the most time on.

* I love the 4th ed starter, with additional models from the time period including those to play the Battle for Maughtrond Pass scenario (which is important as I typically dont know where to start with new armies) and I love those models. The starter has everything I need to play for awhile since it comes with army lists, and I really don't have to touch an army book. That scores huge points in my book. While I rejected the color and cartoonish look of the period at the time, I love it today. I have enough models to make 1000+ point armies for the High Elves, Goblins, and Empire armies.

* I really like the 5th ed starter. While I always thought Bretonnians vs Lizardmen was a ridiculous combination, it wasn't until I got the box set with some additional models like the Slaan Priest did my mind change. One of the rulebooks includes an example 1000 point army list for both armies using additional models so that is what I set out to build and I was shocked that not only did I like the old Bretonnians (which I didn't previously), I fell in love with the Lizardmen.

Since this starter did not come with any army lists like 4th did, I did get the Army Books of the day for both, and really found them interesting. But I don't have any desire to get anymore. And since the game appears to be close to 4th (in some cases using the same army book), I just figured I could use what I have for 4th if I wanted to mix things up since the models from that era share the same aesthetics.

* I am REALLY impressed with 6th ed starter but mainly the rulebook. I really like the models for the starter armies and I expanded on them by being inspired by what was released in their army battalion sets at the time. The great cannon, the chariot, the arrer boyz, everything has been really run to assemble. I love how expansive the rulebook is with different ways to play as well. The example army lists are a joke, and given that the set came with no other information on its armies or any others, this does get a ding, but since Ravening Hordes was released in addition to it, it might be the best one-two punch I have see in games. For a long time Ravening Hordes was my go to list to determine what I wanted to collect for a number of armies (I went on to buy models to field about 1000 point armies for every army in that book). I did buy the army books for Empire and Orcs to enjoy more of the armies but they really aren't needed. None of the army books are, and that's a big big plus for me.

* I really like the 7th starter as it comes closer to what I hope to see in a starter. 7th includes not only 2 fun looking, more rounded armies than previous editions, but also includes some terrain which I always, always appreciate. I will ding any starter set that doesn't come with some terrain pieces. It also appears that the model count was geared more for 6th edition than 7th, since units had to be 5 wide to get the rank bonus, and they included 8 miners and 12 warriors but stacked them in 4s in the pictures. I assume there was a disconnect between the set designers and the game designers. But over all the models are really nice, have lots of character, especially the Night Goblins. The whole set does look fun to get into.

After a rulebook like 6th, 7th just isn't as fun. Yes, there are other was to play the game, they published Warband rules and so forth, but I am only judging all this based on how much you can get out of the starters. No Ravening Hordes was released for this edition, so if you wanted to get into an army, or several, you had to get the books. I did buy the Dwarf and Orc army books and expanded on the starter armies, but thats really it.

* While the 8th set comes with the nicest models released in a WFB starter, its also the worst starter for me. I was stunned to find that no army list was provided in the set, just some directions on using the unit values in the appendix to work out a battle, which I just thought was the absolute dumbest thing I had ever seen a gaming company do. It was like they just didn't care. How much work would it have been to just include 2 sheets of army lists for just what comes in the box? Apparently they came around to realizing how dumb they are because they eventually released them online.

From that though, its easy to see in the rules that larger units are going to be needed for some armies, which I don't want to do. I filled out the starter armies with some additional units, but since they did not release an 8th ed army book for the Skaven, I decided to get the 7th book for High Elves. It just didn't feel right referring to different editions for the same game. I imagine an 8th ed Skaven army book would have looked gorgeous too, since the High Elf one does.

So 8th really has some nice things going for it, but some really dumb issues kills any desire to do more with it. There is no wonder this is the last version of WFB before they had to flush it all down and come up with Sigmar. This is my least favorite edition even though I love the models.

---

So it should be obvious here that I like starters that give you more than just the rules and some models, but some terrain and army lists, even if those army lists are incomplete. Just give me a working taste of what else is out there. The 40k 3rd book does a good job at that. I still think that is the best 40k rulebook ever released because it has everything I need in it to play games with a number of different armies. They basically put a 'ravening hordes' in the rulebook. Those days at GW are prob long behind us, but its also why I have lost interest in keeping up with the game.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 01:29:24 PM by KTG17 »