home

Author Topic: I have 60 state troops: how should I build them?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Cicero

• Members
I have 60 state troops: how should I build them?
« on: February 07, 2021, 06:55:44 PM »
I'm currently painting my first empire army (I play WAP: Warhammer Armies Project, 8.5th edition) and I have 60 empire state troops to build and paint. How do you think I should build them? I was thinking 30 halberdiers and 30 swordmen for variety, also because spearmen look very similar to halbs after all.

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
Re: I have 60 state troops: how should I build them?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 07:23:34 PM »
Should be fine,

I propose running the swordsmen 5 wide 6 deep for better staying power.
Halberds can also proxy for Spears. 6 wide 5 deep for damage output.

Its a fine start. If you´re into unit fillers you could even bring them up to 35 each easily.

L.

Offline Cicero

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »
I see thank you, actually since I'm a new player I would also like to ask: what's the most typical "big block" of state troops played? I mean I'm sure everybody has their preferences, but if the usual way to go is a 40 block then I guess it would make more sense to build 40 halbs and 20 swords aiming to expand later the collection.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 10:37:08 PM »
Forty-ish is a good number for a block in a 'regular' game of ~2500pt in warhammer 8.0

However, if you think you'll be playing smaller games, maybe your original 30/30 plan is good. and then expand both units as you up your game size.

Building a unit filler generic enough to fit in both units would give you some flexibility.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Cicero

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 12:41:31 PM »
Indeed we normally play at 2500 or 3000 even, I guess 40 would be a better choice then. By the way what do you mean by fillers? I’ve seen some games on YouTube where people uses specific elements like barrels etc. to represent 4 models etc.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:51:23 PM by Cicero »

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 03:25:40 PM »
Unit fillers are great - fun to model and paint, bulk out your units, break up the monotony of painting all the soldiers, and can be used in 'scenes'.

I've made them for goblin pirates, skaven, ogres, undead (skels and ogres). Not for Empire, though.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »
Ah, good old Miniwargaming.
I always hated the fillers Cullen used in his Stirland Army. So boring!

Basically a filler is a multi-base with some scenery or models on them to tell a little story, but also to have the more piratical reason just to save on models used.
There is a debate on how excessively fillers should/can be used and some pro/contra static scenery. E.g. your Halberds "pushing" their own scenery with them.
Undead kinda have it the easiest. Just slap some gravestones on a base and voila.

I believe some greats examples can be found by just searching for "Warhammer Empire Unit Filler"
L.

Offline Cicero

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 04:21:40 PM »
I'm seeing some beautiful things around, is there a a particular miniature brand that sell these kind of bits? I mean like barrels etc.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 05:25:53 PM »
Everybody has their own taste in unit fillers. I like ones that look 'mobile', so not crates and trees and walls. E.g. you could model a mule with a handler on a 40mm base. or it could be as simple as spreading out three state troops and a dog on a 40mm base. A classic unit filler for Empire is an Ogre just standing in for four state troops. ideally greenstuffed up with puffy sleeves and a big floppy head (or bought that way. very old GW has quite a few. there is also a recent one from Heresylab that I like quite a bit).

Lots of fun to be had. and yes, MadCount is right, there should be a dedicated inspirational thread somewhere here on warhammer-empire.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Cicero

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 09:53:54 PM »
Another question on halberdiers: did you glue the arms and primed and painted the whole model? Or should I first paint the body and then glue the arms?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »
I glue mine together first, clean off the mold lines and flash (if any), and then prime.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 05:59:46 AM »
I think the halberd arms & pole have a wide enough gap to the chest so that you can build first and still reach the chest plate with your brush.

But I can see how painting the arms/halberds separately can save you some hassle and give you more freedom while painting the breastplate. It might be faster and more precise that way.

So, it's up to you what do you prefer. Here's a video that touches the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_-julqU0k

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 10:24:31 AM »
I have done shields separately from figures which can be helpful.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 10:53:12 AM »
I must admit I've contemplated this too, sometimes the fit on the arms is a bit tight so I worried it would upset my paint job if I end up getting glue all over it!

Personally I've not started sticking anything but weapon heads yet but I reckon I'll probably glue the arms first before painting, they seem to be easy enough to paint in and around without too much difficulty. As per GP's suggestion I always do shields separately, will probably just paint up a joblot of shields and assign them randomly.

Offline Cicero

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 08:39:21 PM »
The reason I'm asking is: obviously priming and painting the arms separately (I'll start with halberdiers, so no shields) would give me more freedom and precision while painting, however assembling the arms before priming would make the whole preparation process much much faster and the painting faster aswell. I don't really know the models but since I read some comments here that there should be enough space I'm gonna try to completely assemble the first 10 models.

By the way: is there a smart position to assemble the arms (once again, halberdiers) so that when putting them in rank and file it doesn't become a nightmare? I see many people numbers them but what I'm wondering is if there is a "good for everywhere" position or is there a better arms position for central models, lateral models, etc.?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:47:07 PM by Cicero »

Offline MadCountLeitdorf

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 08:49:04 AM »
By the way: is there a smart position to assemble the arms (once again, halberdiers) so that when putting them in rank and file it doesn't become a nightmare? I see many people numbers them but what I'm wondering is if there is a "good for everywhere" position or is there a better arms position for central models, lateral models, etc.?

I always felt that it helped angling up the arms as you go further back in the ranks.
First rank almost holds the halberd level, next rank slightly upwards, and so on.
That usually works ok for me and is fine for 4-5 ranks.
You need to watch out a little with the head that has the downwards curved feather (not sure its from the state troop sprue though), it can get tangled in the back ranks halberds.
Hope that helps somewhat

Offline Cicero

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 06:17:17 PM »

I always felt that it helped angling up the arms as you go further back in the ranks.
First rank almost holds the halberd level, next rank slightly upwards, and so on.
That usually works ok for me and is fine for 4-5 ranks.
You need to watch out a little with the head that has the downwards curved feather (not sure its from the state troop sprue though), it can get tangled in the back ranks halberds.
Hope that helps somewhat

I see, thanks a lot! Also if anyone could help me find some picture of state troops from the back it would really help a lot. Unfortunately GW doesn't have a 360° picture on their site and since I don't really know the models it would help for painting. I've been looking through the galleries here on the forum but I can't find clear picture from the back.