home

Author Topic: Huzzah 2021! : Hold The Line ...  (Read 1090 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Huzzah 2021! : Hold The Line ...
« on: May 20, 2021, 04:31:14 PM »
Huzzah! 2021: Hold The Line is this weekend, May 21st, 22nd, and 23rd!

Of 37 options for gaming or hobby items on the schedule, currently only 9 are sold out, so that leaves 28 more where folks can find options for playing or hobbying.  This includes, a session for painting buildings, another for painting figures, and one on 3D Printers from desk top to table top, plus another session is a lecture regarding infantry tactics during the American Civil War.

Software being used for this online/internet convention includes different types depending on which games or hobby options you choose.  So if you have Discord, Roll 20, Skype, Teams, or Zoom, then there are games and hobby items here for you!

Friday session starts at 7pm EST.
Saturday sessions are at 10am, 3pm, 8pm, all EST.
Sunday Session is at 10am EST.

Join in on one or more sessions, and the entry fee is only $2.50 USD.

Here's a link to the convention website  ... https://tabletop.events/conventions/hold-the-line-a-virtual-huzzah

- - - - - -

By the way, I am hosting my game on Saturday evening and Sunday morning via Zoom.

Hope some of you can join in on the fun! :icon_biggrin: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 04:49:26 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Re: Huzzah 2021! : Hold The Line ...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 10:27:06 PM »
It is convention time!

Got me some dinner ... baked cod, meatballs, green beans, English cheddar cheese with crackers, and Chateau Charrier, Bordeaux, 2018.

And of course my dice tray and dice. :icon_cool:

First game up is Northern Bulge, big battle scenario for D-Day to Berlin rules.

It's not too late to sign up for some fun. :icon_wink: 

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 02:20:37 AM »
Wow, what a great game!  I got to play a German Grenadier Brigade with supporting units.  Lots of fun trying to fend off U.S. forces attempting to break through to Bastogne. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Saturday morning it is on to Towton with a new Wars of the Roses set of rules, which I am playing Warwick's retinue on the left flank of the Lancasterians. :icon_mrgreen:

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 06:10:09 AM »
Well if you run short I will consider being someguy Sunday morning. Can a claim a Papal spot?
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 09:02:47 AM »
Yes.  There appears to be no way that I won't have extra slots.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:53:39 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
So ... updating after Huzzah! 2021: Hold the Line ...

After a great game mentioned above on Friday night, Saturday morning I played in a Wars of the Roses "Towton" scenario run by the authors of a set of rules just published this past January called "Test of Resolve".  These rules seem to recreate a bit of the swirling chaos often associated with things like the WotRs, although once the tide shifts in favor of one side or another, there's not much more swirling that goes on, sort of like the fighting of that era.  I'd probably need to play it again for a better review of things, and it didn't strike me as a bad set of rules, yet there were aspects of it that I thought, "What? Hmmm."

Friday afternoon saw me in a Renaissance era game with a new set of computer run rules written by some local guys, and the scenario was a recreation of the situation at the Battle of Novara in 1513 between the French and a mostly Swiss mercenary army fighting in defense of Milan.  This seemed like a fun game, and I really enjoyed the partial flexibility in set up.  It is hard to know with many medieval and renaissance battles exactly what really occurred because the writers of the time were usually interested in impressing the leaders of the victorious side, and when historical information is lacking, it is often good to have choices for the players in some situations like this particular battle as well.  I played the three Italian/Swiss commands attempting to destroy the French army just waking up from their nightly sleep.  The other two players took 2 commands each regarding the French forces, and they succeeded in staying on the field of battle, which seemed to have turned into an initial swamping, followed by a much closer fight towards the end.  I also enjoyed how the rules recreated pike block fighting.

Then Saturday night and Sunday morning, I switched over to GMing my revised and updated Battle of Civitate in 1053 scenario between the Normans and the Papal Coalition forces of that era.  However, I will save these for my next post.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 01:37:08 AM »
I highly enjoyed the Sunday game and am intrigued at your full thoughts on how the game ran in each instance, aside from the day of brief post game notes.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 02:07:56 AM »
Been traveling these last couple days and visiting a friend, and we'll catch up on this!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 02:46:51 AM »
I'm still looking forward to seeing these write ups!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »
Ha!  Yes, yes, I haven't forgotten. :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 03:59:22 AM »
Suppose I'll do this in more than one post ...

My Civitate scenario was first created in the spring of 2020.  Believe I played it at least 5 times from then and across the summer using Zoom.  The scenario started out using only the Italian and Norman lists in the Lion Rampant book which are as follows ...

Italians ... 1 mounted men-at-arms, 1 mounted sergeants, 2 foot sergeants, 1 crossbows, 1 bidowers
Normans ... 2 mounted men-at arms, 2 foot yeomen, 1 crossbows, 1 bidowers

This past winter I added 6 more points to both sides ... another foot sergeant and bidower to the Italians, another mounted men-at-arms to the Normans.  This was done to try to reflect what is known about the actual armies, while also giving more "oomph" for the scenario to be played by four people, two per side.  Each side got two commanders as well.

Then this spring I exchanged the crossbows for archers, and then added another 6 more points to both sides, and they then each totaled 36 points.  This time the Italians got two mixed units and a half sized foot sergeants in exchange for losing 1 foot sergeant and the additional bidower unit.  Meanwhile I added a foot men-at-arms to the Normans.  This also meant with the extra points, then I could give three commands to the Normans versus two commands for the Italians, which is seems more in line with the history.  However, I also made the Pope a commander for the Italians as well, yet this was only over his half sized foot sergeant guards, although he could leave the protection of the city to aid in leading other troops if desired.

I will give a list of the two sides next, and then some comments regarding the two games I hosted of this scenario at Huzzah! 2021: Hold The Line convention held over the internet.