home

Author Topic: Can't re-roll a re-roll . . .  (Read 24186 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Can't re-roll a re-roll . . .
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
I go with Rufus on this one....as he loves me.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 09:52:45 AM »
I was in a bad mood until I read this post...

I would roll all the dice twice just because.  In a chaotic world, it is the only sane thing to do.

As for the pistol duel...whatever time, whatever place, whatever....  but use revolvers with only one bullet and spin them Russian Roulette style before starting. 

But you only get to pull the trigger twice...cuz you can never re-roll a re-roll.   :unsure:

Sir, I am surprised.   A dueling pistol has only one shot.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Imperial Tactician
  • Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »

I would roll all the dice twice just because.  In a chaotic world, it is the only sane thing to do.

As for the pistol duel...whatever time, whatever place, whatever....  but use revolvers with only one bullet and spin them Russian Roulette style before starting. 

But you only get to pull the trigger twice...cuz you can never re-roll a re-roll.   :unsure:

Not in my chaotic world...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:36:34 AM by Midaski »
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »

Not in my chaotic world...

Surely the College of Engineers has created a repeating dueling pistol??? But you you still have to take the multi-shot -1 to hit . . . with re-rolls . . .  :-D
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »
I don't think they actually cancel each other out since they aren't opposing effects.  The chaos item makes you reroll the successful hits and the hatred/ASF lets you reroll the failed hits -- so I'd just reroll the whole lot again.

+1 this

An because you can never re-roll a re-roll the hatred does not allow you to re-roll the failed hits from the re-roll of the successful hits and nor must your (because of the chaos thing) re-roll the successful hits of the failed hits.

A perfect answer.  :::cheers:::
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »
On our tournaments we was playing like this first you have normal roll ( let say 4 attacks on 4+ you roll 2 hit and 2 miss) then re-roll from hate(or something like hate 2 on 4+ then you hit 1) then roll all hits (and now roll 3 attacks on 4+ again either to confirm hit either to miss) so we play like this  :smile2:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
Kirgan's answer sounds fair enough.

If however the two players had decided to reroll everything - the hits and misses (i.e. every dice) in the first attack roll, then I would suggest rolling once and counting that result, as rolling twice and knowing you're going to utterly ignore the first roll is meaningless.

You might as well pick up the dice and say "Assume I just rolled my first, pointless roll. Now, this counts as my second roll." To roll for the sake of rolling only then to pick them all up and roll again is a waste of time, and only worth doing if your doing it for joke effect.

That said, I have seen people roll dice for dafter reasons just for the 'fun' of it. Me, I've rolled too many dice over the decades to derive my fun from the mere physical act of rolling!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:38 PM »
I would just take the sensible solution and roll with it.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »
I would just take the sensible solution and roll with it.

Or decide on two sensible solutions and roll for which one to do.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »
That sounds a bit dicey though.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 10:05:32 PM »
I'm dying to know what your next joke will be.

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »
I try to avoid being banned, thank you very much. :biggriin:

Congratulations on your 1000th post, incidentally.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 10:15:06 PM »
Wow, hadn't noticed. Cool. 1000. Or shooold I say - Wooow. Coool.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:53 PM »
To roll for the sake of rolling only then to pick them all up and roll again is a waste of time, and only worth doing if your doing it for joke effect.

Thank you!

Someone sensible at last.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 02:19:42 AM »
The rule says you re-roll successful rolls to hit, and failed rolls to hit. Not doing so would be against the rules, and doing so can actually significantly affect the outcome of the roll. If you miss with all your attacks, you're going to want to re-roll. Likewise, if you hit with all your attacks, your chaos opponent will want you to re-roll. So just do what the rule says, and then you don't have to argue about it.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »
Or say "Assume I just rolled the utterly pointless roll that counts for absolutely nothing and will be ignored. K? Right, here's the roll that will count." Then roll the dice.

CoDoom, why on earth would anyone bother rolling a roll that is always going to ignored, whether it is good, bad or indifferent? You could, to exactly the same effect roll the dice under a box, never look at them, then pick them up and do the re-roll.

Just state that this is to be your 'second' roll, ands roll once. If anyone argued that was cheating, then you're playing a mad-man - smile, keep your guard up (but don't show it) and back slowly out of the room.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
Or say "Assume I just rolled the utterly pointless roll that counts for absolutely nothing and will be ignored. K? Right, here's the roll that will count." Then roll the dice.

CoDoom, why on earth would anyone bother rolling a roll that is always going to ignored, whether it is good, bad or indifferent? You could, to exactly the same effect roll the dice under a box, never look at them, then pick them up and do the re-roll.

Just state that this is to be your 'second' roll, ands roll once. If anyone argued that was cheating, then you're playing a mad-man - smile, keep your guard up (but don't show it) and back slowly out of the room.

Because it's the rules? And if you just play by the rules there'll be no argument or confusion? And what if you roll all hits? Then your chaos player will WANT you to re-roll, however silly you might think it is. It WILL affect the outcome, so it MUST be done, if only to avoid any confusion or arguments.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:49 AM »
ridiculous
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »
@ C o D -

That's why I suggested you tell the chaos player  "This IS my second roll." You can't reroll your second roll good or bad.

If the player says "No. I insist you roll the pointless roll that we are not gonna count, the roll both of us shall ignore, the complete and utter waste of time roll. Do it!" then maybe you've got yourself in with the wrong crowd of players ? I certainly would inwardly question the level of anal retentiveness the guy had reached.

Or, like you said, we keep the guy happy and roll the pointless roll. Pander to him  to keep the peace. Pretend there is point to it. State this is your first roll, then carefully count it all up. Put the hits in one hand and call them holy. The misses in another hand and bless them. Join the two piles together again with a short service of matrimony, declare loudly that the slate is now wiped clean. Then do a three verse song and dance about the fact you are going to do the second roll. Then ... wait for it ... not quite yet ... and then .... yes, now - make the second roll. Return to normality.

If you have the time.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
I think we understand where you stand rufus ha ha

But others don't think it's ridiculous. It's going to take what - an extra minute at the most? Some people, when they make that 1st bad roll are going to be itching to reroll because they know they have the option. Let them play by the rules and have their fun - if you and your mate want to do it in one roll, knock yourself out.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 08:42:27 AM »
do you ahve to re roll that?
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »
I'm Padre, not Rufus. Mind you we do look like twins. Virtually identical in every way.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:03 AM »
If the rules say to re-roll, then I see no reason not to take the extra half second (for your, what, 4 - 6 attacks, maybe?) to reroll all of the dice, so that no issue ever comes up. Because sure as I sit here, you will tell your opponent: "This counts as my second roll." And then you'll roll all 6's, and he will demand that you re-roll. Just do what the rule says to do, and you don't have to argue.

Blarghwarrble

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:17 AM »
Well, Padre, if you look like rufus and want to share in my response to him, feel free to!
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 08:46:55 AM »
If the rules say to re-roll, then I see no reason not to take the extra half second (for your, what, 4 - 6 attacks, maybe?) to reroll all of the dice, so that no issue ever comes up. Because sure as I sit here, you will tell your opponent: "This counts as my second roll." And then you'll roll all 6's, and he will demand that you re-roll. Just do what the rule says to do, and you don't have to argue.

Blarghwarrble
You speak much truth.