home

Author Topic: Hills, scenery or just elevations?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Hills, scenery or just elevations?
« on: September 27, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »
So I have been thinking about hills. I see them treated as scenery in almost all bat reps and thus getting rolled for on the scenery table and granting them the cover bonus. But somehow a flat area, though slightly elevated, doesn't feel right to gain cover for.

Then if you look at the realm battleboards the hill / elevations are just pre-made into them, do we treat those as scenery?

At least I will treat them as just there and no more as scenery and discuss before hand how may elevations we want and where on the table.

thoughts?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Lord_Crom

• Members
Re: Hills, scenery or just elevations?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:48:07 AM »
We play with flat hills and at the mo have treated them as per standard rules so they have attribute and give extra save. I play on the old battlemaster play mat which has a river on one side. I count that as one big scenery piece but usually fudge it to be deadly. The scenarios seem to make up rules for scenery so no reason why you shouldn't. I'll be changing the river as seems odd to get better save for taking a swim.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 08:40:49 AM »
well I would see a save for being in water more appropriate then standing on a hill, being water slowing down arrows and movement (sword slashing) only real thing that a hill provides is better line of sight.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 04:27:09 AM »
There's also letting gravity work for you when shooting from a hill. So maybe a house rule for increased range?
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.