home

Author Topic: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 … And Beyond ...  (Read 9547 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: 100 Days of Hobby for 2021 …
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2021, 12:47:24 PM »
@zygmund
They are awesome!
Especially love that mobile brain 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »

Love the pics, Zygmund! Great work!  :eusa_clap:

Day 12/100: Too tired to paint today after work, working out and packing more moving boxes. Sorted a good deal of paint pots instead and threw away everything I never use and everything beyond repair.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2021, 03:02:48 AM »
Day 12 ... the small metal connectors on my mounted crossbowmen's stirrups were bothering me staying in brown, so painted them black, might add bolt gun next.  Also painted all the metal parts on my skaven leader for the handweapon block.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2021, 10:58:36 AM »
Up early this morning ...

Day 13 ... painted bolt gun on my mounted warrior priest, and some basic dry brushing and fine tuning of the bolt gun on my 6 mounted crossbowmen.  The 6 figures are complete, unless I decide to paint eyes.  Still need to finish their horses, although getting closer to having these converted figures from pistoliers and various other Empire kits finished.  And for some reason I primed the warrior priests horse in white, what was I doing? Vaguely recall wanting to have a grayish white horse, but with all the armor plating on the warhorse, will at least need to use an undercoat of black first before painting in bolt gun.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2021, 08:09:21 PM »

Day 13/100:

I started painting Boromir, but didn't get very far.  :icon_redface:
Still packing moving boxes after work.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2021, 09:39:06 PM »

Day 13/100:

I started painting Boromir, but didn't get very far.  :icon_redface:
Still packing moving boxes after work.

Moving is such a thankless, horrible, endless nightmare of horrendous proportions. I think I would rather boil my eyes than move again
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:46 AM »
Ok, things are a little complicated.
I don't know where to post, this thread or the other?
I managed my goals last week, with one day extra! Not going in to detail, because my memory is a little fussy.

This week, from monday 11/01/2021:
  • Monday: The second day I'm cleaning my bits box. This time the 40k one. I still have bits at other locations, but I need to track them down first before I can sort them. And the postman brought me another box I bought on a second hand site.
  • Tuesday & Wednesday: I made some good progress on my Mordheim witch and Astra Militarum Priest. I hope to finish these this weekend.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2021, 07:33:17 AM »

Day 14/100:

Write-off due to migraine.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »
Beauriful winter picture. Hope that pond doesn't freeze, or the swan might go hungry. We got half a meter snow a couple of days ago. It's a cold spell even in southern Finland.

Jan 12 - Arranged the painting desk. No painting or building. Kinda relaxation day.

Jan 13 - Painting the swordsmen's shields: red.

Jan 14 - A little paint on the swordsmen: shading the red.

Jan 15 - Foamwork on a ruin. Highlighting the swordsmen's shields.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
Day 14 ... Read an article in my recent WSS magazine on painting red and yellow.  It was ok, although the ideas were applied using vallejo and Foundry paints, and so it seemed only partially helpful.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2021, 07:30:39 PM »

@GP: Take a look at the paint conversion charts below. They might be helpful in this case.

http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/blog/paint-comparison-chart-citadel-vallejo-game-colour/

https://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Day 15/100:

Packed up busts and minis from the glass cabinet to move them to the new place tomorrow.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2021, 02:41:12 AM »
Ok, I'll take a look, thanks!

Day 15 ... Agrax on my 6 mounted crossbomen's horses.  Oh, for the days of Devlin Mud!  Agrax just didn't do what was being imagined, and suspected it wouldn't, been disappointed before by it.  Oh well, will  need to get out my Calthan Brown and see if another layer will help.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2021, 07:56:25 PM »

Day 16/100:

Moved all the busts and minis to the new place, unpacked them und put them in a glass cabinet again. My partner had emptied a few shelves for me to make space for them. When two painters move in together, at least none of them needs to explain why there is such an amount of paint pots, busts, minis and unfinished projects ...  :icon_lol:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2021, 10:13:53 PM »
 :icon_lol: :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2021, 03:43:48 AM »
Day 16 ... Used calthan brown to highlight the mounted crossbowmen's horses.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2021, 07:17:45 AM »
This week, from monday 11/01/2021:
  • Monday: The second day I'm cleaning my bits box. This time the 40k one. I still have bits at other locations, but I need to track them down first before I can sort them. And the postman brought me another box I bought on a second hand site.
  • Tuesday & Wednesday: I made some good progress on my Mordheim witch and Astra Militarum Priest. I hope to finish these this weekend.
  • Friday & Sunday: I finished the witch. I'm experimenting with some washes to get her as pale looking as possible.
  • Saturday: The last day of messing with my bitsboxes. I think I'm done now with this. I also picked some stuff up from WarhammerLordSoth, who printed me some tanks for my Astra Militarium.

Ok, I managed 6 days out of 7 last week. Which went way better then expected! Somehow this Covid pandemie has had a positive effect on my painting time, skills and amount of finished models.
I also my an Instagram account to put up some pictures of my models. So I can post them easier on this or other forums.
As a downside, the more time I'm at home, makes me order more miniatures on second hand sites...
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2021, 09:10:59 AM »
Day 17 ... received my copy of Terrain Essentials from the kickstarter last week, and finally opened the box.  This was written by Mel Bose The Terrain Tutor.  This is a hardback book that is just over 190 pages.  Haven't seen the topic approached quite like this previously.  There are sections on planning, tools & materials, methods and techniques, boards & bases, making things modular, ground work, grass work, rocks & hills, trees & hedges, water features, snow features, and buildings.  The book is more about techniques across the board, and has some ideas for implementing, yet more about what to do to achieve various intentions .  Even includes ideas on things from color theory to warping.  I did some stopping and reading in places, and will have to get into more detailed reading as I approach some projects.  Seems like a worthwhile purchase.

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2021, 07:13:50 PM »

Day 17/100:

Moved part II of my hobbystuff to the new place, unpacked it and put it in the glass cabinet.

Day 18/100:

The Horn of Gondor got a first layer of paint today.

Hopefully, I will get in some more painting time this week.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2021, 07:25:32 PM »
Bring on the LotR’s mini’s 😺

What is the story of farmer maggot and his dog?
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2021, 03:06:30 AM »
Day 18 ... painted black on all bridle bits, prior to eventual bolt gun, for my 6 mounted crossbowmen's horses.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2021, 05:04:39 PM »
I've been gone from the thread for a bit but I havent stopped working! Just to lazy/procrastinating coming around to post. I've been painting every day but its just real tiny amounts. Mostly I've been working on Gotrek and some Sentinels, just putting multiple players on or trying to do some details. But I also pulled out a bunch of older models to just update, add a wash to unwashed ones, touch up some gems or runes, etc.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2021, 12:41:45 PM »
Day 19 ... went back to reading the recent WS&S issue #111.  The article on the tank fighting in Cologne towards the end of WW2 was a good although brief read.  I had not heard of the story of the Panzer vs the Pershing to un-hold up the Shermans, and would find it interesting to follow up with seeing the film of this fight.  Also, read the first article on the theme of Vietnam and how it can be tricky to form a game/rules with the way the insurgency type combat was occurring.  Looking forward to eventually reading through the scenarios.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:06:50 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline TaraGreen

• Members
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2021, 08:32:27 PM »

Day 19/100:

Only managed to add some Reikland Flesh to the skin of some figures.

Day 20/100:

Aragorn has got some basic colours now.

Sorry, I can't do more atm. We are entering the chaotic phase of moving and I'm busy selling as much furniture as possible which is really time-consuming.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2021, 03:18:23 AM »
Day 20 ... painted all the bridle leather again for highlighting.  Contemplating making the metal parts brass instead of bolt gun.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:07:02 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2021, 10:30:19 AM »
Jan 16 - Continued painting the Swordsmen; some work on a boar and a mother with children.

Jan 17 - Added rubble to a LotR ruin.

Jan 18 - Sorting & selling figurines; planned multibasing for the Swordsmen. Cut a full-metal base for the unbalanced standard bearer.

Jan 19 - Sorting & selling figurines; last touch-ups on the boar.

Jan 20 - Based & finished the boar; multibasing the Swordsmen.

Jan 21 - Multibasing the Swordsmen, and the day is still young.

Just 30min or an hour per day, but things move forward, little by little.  :-)

Day 17 ... received my copy of Terrain Essentials from the kickstarter last week, and finally opened the box.  This was written by Mel Bose The Terrain Tutor.  This is a hardback book that is just over 190 pages.  Haven't seen the topic approached quite like this previously.  There are sections on planning, tools & materials, methods and techniques, boards & bases, making things modular, ground work, grass work, rocks & hills, trees & hedges, water features, snow features, and buildings.  The book is more about techniques across the board, and has some ideas for implementing, yet more about what to do to achieve various intentions .  Even includes ideas on things from color theory to warping.  I did some stopping and reading in places, and will have to get into more detailed reading as I approach some projects.  Seems like a worthwhile purchase.

Got the PDF, and the book is golden. By hand-guiding HOW to do things it has helped me to get over some creative blocks already. During & since the holidays, I've become familiar with foam cutting and cheap construction putties/fillers. Things I had had in my storage for years, but not dared to start because I had no experience. Also have watched some of Mel's videos on Youtube. Always loved terrain building and dioramas as a modeller kid, and finally I'm doing it with the more advanced approach & results!  :-)

-Z
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:38:18 AM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.