home

Author Topic: The Battle of Waldbach Road - Complete Report!!! (pics)  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
The Battle of Waldbach Road - Complete Report!!! (pics)
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:50:46 PM »
I'm part way through planning a multi-player objective snatching battle - full of intrigue and surprises, which will take place up at Wissenlander's place in VA, come mid-February. In the time leading up to that I will be fluffing it up here in readiness for the full report. Expect a backstory, pictures a plenty, comments from the participants and probably some feline guest appearances... thought I'd wet the appetite nice and early and I'll try to keep heading back with more info until the big day arrives...

Just to give you a taste of what to expect... there will be a combined force of Imperial might... though all is not well between the supposedly allied force. Facing them will be an unholy collection of a chaos warband, an ancient Vampire and a growing Orc Waagh... no surprises that this will be an explosive collision...

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:31:18 PM by Siberius »
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: The Battle of Waldbach Road - an epic clash coming soon...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »
Hurry up and start it then!

It sounds good.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
Re: The Battle of Waldbach Road - an epic clash coming soon...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »
The story begins...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a village chapel, at the camp of the Knights Sanguine, in Wissenland...

Jan Kesslereich stood by the desk pouring over maps when the door was suddenly flung wide. The man who walked in was wrapped up in a thick cloak, spattered with dried blood. His eyes glowered from inside the hood. In his hand was a huge hammer, cleaned ritualistically to a glimmering shine.

“By Sigmar man, what do you mean by bursting in here unannounced?” Kesslereich asked.

“My Lord, forgive me, but this news cannot wait.” He slumped into a chair and rested the hammer across his lap. “I was travelling with the Knights Sanguine, down old Waldbach Road, we were ambushed by filthy chaos worshipers, a whole army of them. Needless to say we were horribly outnumbered and our losses were terrible. The flagellants took the brunt of it, flinging themselves at the evil ones, but even with those hundreds of fanatics giving their lives, they were not to be stopped. I am thankful for the zealous nature of the Knights Sanguine, they are truly devout warriors and managed to rout the chaos followers, who fled back into the woods to lick their wounds. But My Lord, I fear they will be back. I saw their leader, he didn’t even ride into battle, he stayed by the woods with his bodyguard. There was the touch of the dark gods on him for certain, his eyes burned red enough that I could see it from across the field. This was just a test of his forces. I fear he may already be marching on Erbshauen.”

Kesslereich put his hands on the table and grimaced. “So, they have come. I knew there were powerful magics playing around that area on the Waldbach Road. The common folk dare not travel it, haven’t done for years. They talk of some kind of hell-beast’s lair being close by. Some tale they like to tell their children to keep them in line, no doubt, but still, that place has a bad omen about it ever since the great battle fought there. And now they come to search for the lost artifacts and defile it once more.”

“Alas, sir, they took many of us. We returned with only a small remnant of the foot knights and but half of the cavalry. Can we muster the strength to march out to meet them?”

“My son, it is not a question. It must be done. We may be few, but our duty remains. And we cannot have the forces of evil marching over the lands that we still seek to take rightfully back. This will be a stand for Solland. Perhaps we can even unearth some holy relics to help show the people that we are the true rulers of this land. Let us just hope that the greenskins do not catch wind of your battle.” He spat on the floor. “You know my hatred of the orcs, but we cannot hope to overcome an alliance between them and the chaos scum. Saddle my horse and call the men to arms, we ride to Waldbach Road!”

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: The Battle of Waldbach Road - the story begins...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
Pictures...or it didn´t happen.

:eusa_clap:

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:07:06 PM »
Well... it didn't... yet...

It's happening in a couple of weeks... and believe me there will be pictures... oh yes!

I'm just beginning to set the scene,  :wink:.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:16:10 AM »
In the town of Brennenburg, Wissenland...

The Graf shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

“A battle you say? On the Waldbach Road? A bad omen indeed, and far too close, especially if, as you say, there are chaos powers involved…”

“Aye sir, I saw with my own eyes, a ferocious looking Warlord, twice the size of a normal man, surrounded by warriors much like himself. His eyes blazed red with an unearthly fire and he just stood motionless as his army trampled the rebels.” The road warden leaned unsteadily on his gun, having ridden full speed to warn the Graf.

Graf Olenbay sighed. The ancient tower stood on the Waldbach Road, built by his great grandfather to help keep watch over the greenskins, to keep them at bay. They had always been numerous in the woods of southern Wissenland and were a constant harassment to the town of Brennenburg. The tower had long since been abandoned and left to ruin. The men who deserted it talking of an evil presence descending upon the area ever since the huge battle that no one spoke of any more. The winds of magic blew strange there and trade traffic had ceased using the road, allowing it to become overgrown and ever more dangerous.

A cowelled figure stepped forward and spoke in a deep commanding voice. “We must take up our swords and put down this evil, Lord. In Sigmar’s name, it must be done. They will never stop.”

Much as Olenbay found the council of the priest of Sigmar overly fanatical on the whole, he could not deny that this was a true threat and surrounding towns were ill-prepared to mount any kind of an army. So it would be, he would muster his forces and they would ride out. He just hoped he had men enough for the task. If his forces were overcome, he feared to think what would happen next…

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:56:53 PM »
And you are doing a great job ...perhaps pictures of you setting the scene?

Offline Jimmy Invictus

• Members
  • Fortis Cadere, Non Cedere
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
 Siberius, you`re seriously whetting our appetites for the full battle report!  And as the witch elf said to the captive Empire captain, I hope the follow-through is as good as the foreplay... :happy:

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 07:02:04 AM »
Sorry about the break in story. It's been a painting and scenery constructing madhouse here, but more build-up will follow later in the day. 3 days till battle will be done!

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
GAH!!! this looks good as!

Cannot wait for the batrep now  :icon_mrgreen:
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »
(sorry, couldn't resist the Robin Hood (mis)quote!....)

In a woodland camp, not far from the Waldbach Road...

“Bring him here!” It was a deep unyielding voice that gave the command. A voice that is never disobeyed. Sven Moe dragged the pitiful man into the torchlight and dumped him roughly infront of his master.

“Lord Olafsson, he gave us little that we did not already know, what do you want done with him?”

The hulking man, if he could still be called human, turned and fixed the soldier with a baleful red stare. Like many before him, the soldier backed away wildly, knowing that there was only death before him now.

“Did he renounce his cursed gods?” Olafsson asked.

“Not even when we took his eyes,” Moe replied, with a hint of respect.

“Let’s see if he holds true when you take his entrails and feed them to the hounds then shall we?” the warlord asked, a cruel smile on his lips.

Moe picked the soldier up by his neck and drug him back out into the dark woods, his screams fading into the last night he would ever see.

As he watched them go, Olafsson heard a horse approach and a great knights rode up before him, before dismounting with a heavy thump as his muscled bulk hit the ground. Knut Micklebust was the champion of Olafsson’s knights and second only to the warlord himself. Nobody had killed more foes than he, in all the years of travelling with the tribe.

“The grey-clad humans march towards the tower with renewed energy my Lord. They seek to make safe the ancient artifacts and avenge their fallen comrades. This time, their general marches at their head.”

“Good. We will win great glory when we meet once again. I will personally lead us out this time, maybe this man is an enemy worthy of my blade. They will be cut down and we will head for their weakened town. It will be a night to remember my friend…”

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
Just outside Pahl, in southern Wissenland...

Alexai Volkov looked up from his cup as Arashi walked in. The man was a giant, and Volkov didn’t know if he was just born that way or whether his necromantic studies had allowed him to swell his powers. Lank hair fell on his shoulders and he reeked of mud and death.

“You called for me Sire,” he drawled.

“Yes Arashi. I sense that there has been blood shed close by. On the road to our north there has been a battle and there are many dead. Many who we can raise to fight with us once more. Strong ones too, there is the reek of chaos about them. Go ahead of me and start your incantations. The wind tells me that the Imperials will soon come back to try and defeat the chaos powers. Our old friend Olenbay himself may ride out.”

The necromancer smiled. He and his liege had visited the court of Graf Olenbay a year before. Of course Volkov was hugely powerful and posed as a Count from the east, passing through the area. Olenbay had greeted him warmly, ever the gracious host, never once knowing that he had invited a Vampire Lord into his court. Only that vile priest had not trusted them and was constantly whispering in Olenbay’s ear, but the Graf had waved his fears aside, enchanted by Volkov’s glamours.

“We must be present. A battle of this magnitude will swell my host greatly, and there are ancient heirlooms discarded there from glorious battles of the past. I must get my hands on them. The humans don’t even know what dangers lie on their own doorstep. Go now, work your magics quickly before the armies arrive. I will awaken our force and meet you there. It will be a most glorious day…”

Offline Jimmy Invictus

• Members
Re: The Battle of Waldbach Road - the story continues...
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:00:30 AM »
 :Ohmy:[pulls up chair] aw hell yeah...Siberius the suspense is getting painful.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:46:52 AM »
Just got back from Wissenland, uh... I mean Virginia...

Tomorrow I will start on the madness...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 03:10:33 AM »
That's sounds good, cause the suspense is killing me.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »
Whay are you taking so longgggg??????????????

lol just kidding... only I have been waiting 2 days for this. I hate being almost an entire day ahead of everyone else..  :eusa_wall: :icon_mrgreen:
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
Hehe, sorry. I think it's been a case of not quite literal jet lag and needing to come to it fresh. I couldn't get my writer's mind in gear yesterday, though I did start work on the move maps  :-P.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
Snow whipped across the Waldbach Road. It had been falling since dusk the night before. It had been a hard winter in Wissenland, but this seemed to come from nowhere. Men shivered and horses stamped to keep warm as the grey-clad army took their positions.

Graf Olenbay pulled his horse up alongside the swordsmen, looking towards the tower across the way. One of its walls had been completely ruined, the rest of the structure was not in much better shape. But it was what was happening at the base of the tower that had his attention. Through the sleet he could make out the figure of a huge man, arms raised, cloak whipping in the wind and a skull-topped staff extended to the sky.

He looked across to the wizard, Norbert Totenkrantz, who stood with the spearmen and the fire mage returned his gaze with a troubled look.

“There are dark and forbidden magics at work here,” the wizard said. “Do not be surprised to see the newly dead rising today.” With that he raised his high collar and turned back to focus his concentration.

Olenbay felt a pang of doubt. The chaos powers were one thing. But the troops he had expected to face here were still men after all, albeit corrupted and warped men. He had not factored in this new threat though. He could not afford to split his army in two, there had been not enough time to muster the troops he would have liked. The call had gone out, but with the chaos attacks on local settlements the response was muted at best. Most of his army consisted of his own personal guard, greatswords, swordsmen, spears and a few halberdiers. He had hoped to wield greater numbers and outflank the enemy.

At that moment there were braying horns and the sound of wild dogs howling and the chaos host emerged from the forest. The army was noticeably smaller than he had expected, the reports must have been true that the weaker marauders had been mostly killed off in the first attack. But that made what stepped from the trees no less fearsome.

Armoured giants with cruel, huge axes and swords strode beside a regiment of their mounted brothers. They were armoured from head to foot and rode horses twice the size of an imperial steed. Their movements were slow and considered, disciplined and precise. At their head rode a mountain of a man, through the slit in his helm Olenbay could see red glowing eyes turn his way. He looked entirely unbeatable and the Graf knew he had never faced an opponent of his skill.

Olafsson stared mercilessly at the Imperials on the hill across from his warband. The wind he felt on his face was not just that of a freezing winter though. Dark and chaotic magic was whistling through the air and he turned his head to where he felt its epicenter. There he saw a man big enough to be one of his own warriors conjuring necromantic spells. He appeared to be standing in the middle of a freshly dug mass grave. Recently dead hands shot up from the earth and were soon followed by heads and shoulders.

So, there were others who wished to make a claim for glory this day. For now he would ignore the necromancer, they had a common foe in the Empire scum, but once the greycoats were put down, he may have more work on his hands than he thought.

He had chaotic powers at his disposal too. The shrine, carried from the warband’s village, pulsed with dark powers, shooting out the blessings of their heretic gods and bestowing unnatural gifts upon his army. Many had been the time that they had cut down numbers far beyond their own with its help.

He looked over to Knut Mycklebust, champion of his knights. “Signal Moe, we mar…”

His words died away momentarily as a new horn pierced the swirling skies, from behind the village to the east. Did the Wissenlanders have reinforcements? Well what matter. He feared none that he had ever met. More bodies for the fires.

“Onwards!”

Jan Kesslereich spurred the horses of his altar to a gallop. Alongside him ride a large regiment of the Knights Sanguine, led by his personal champion Wilhelm der Scheuslich. The snow whipped into his eyes but he hardly noticed. He felt the blood run hot through his veins, a symbol of all that was good and right. His army may be small, but they would not roll over and let this chaos champion roam the country unchallenged.

The knight’s musician blew out a pure ringing note as they sped out the far side of the village and onto the battlefield. Kesslereich assessed that battle had yet to be joined by either side and signaled the cavalry to a trot to let the infantry catch up and keep a unified battle-line.

He spied the chaos scum opposite the ruined tower from them, but two things he saw he had not expected. To the west of his army, a force of Wissenlanders stood in battle formation, ready to receive the chaos charge. Was he mistaken, or were those the same colours that he had fought side by side against the unholy alliance barely a year ago?

He scanned their lines and, yes, he recognized the proud bearing of their general that day, young Sebastian Drauwulf. It was hard to believe that once again he would be fighting for his life alongside those who had usurped Solland’s lands. But if there was one thing worse than Wissenlanders, it was chaos, barely.

The second thing he noticed was not such a good omen. Under the tower there was a small army of skeletons and zombies, almost melting out of the ground, though more marched from the trees, at their head a figure with purple billowing robes, hovering above the ground, hollow eyes staring into nothing. It could only be a Vampire, and a powerful one if he was the judge. A year ago they had killed that vampire, but as he stood there, he knew that this one had a power far beyond anything they had faced that day.

Beside the ranks of skeletons trotted a unit of knights, dark as the night itself, in bronzed armour and tattered cloaks. It was as if they were not entirely on this plane, but also not in the next. He shuddered at the sight of them but quickly got a hold of himself as the rest of his army pulled up alongside.

The foot-knights of the Sanguine Temple marched alongside the fanatical zealots who always followed Kesslereich around. Overhead, out of the dark clouds, Helmut Meerschweinchenfutter swooped down on his Pegasus. The Warrior Priest carried a huge hammer and was ready to lend his hand wherever it was needed on the battlefield.

Kesslereich saluted stiffly to Drauwulf, who returned the gesture. Whatever their differences, they were men of the Empire and they would face this danger together. The High Priest just hoped that the Brennenburgers weren’t as keen as he was to secure the old watchtower once battle was done…

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
I had no idea this had been brooding for weeks.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 03:25:12 PM »
In the deep forests of southern Wissenland, there were many creatures, mostly harmless and shy of humans, but all too often fearsome and tribal.

Orc raids were a constant threat and it seemed like wherever the hint of a battle showed itself, they were nearby and ready, like they could sense it in the air. Today was no exception.

From the woods to the east they sprang, a wave of greenskins bounding from the trees, line upon line of goblins, orcs and even black orcs. They had picked up the signals of battle and their single minded urge for destruction had driven them here.

At the head of the black orcs was a huge boss, who carried the roped-together planks of a chariot as his shield. He stepped from the ranks and in a great deep voice proclaimed his intentions.

“I am Da Biter and we is ‘ere to kill ya all!”

His tribe banged their weapons on their shields and joined in taunting the enemy.

Across the battlefield, Kesslereich hefted his great warhammer and a look of hatred filled his face. The orcs were the true enemy of the Sanguine Temple and today they would feel their wrath.

Deployment

Let me explain this map slightly. The Circles with green dots are woods. The brown circle is a charnal pit. The square in the middle is a watchtower and the "x"s are the 5 objectives.  Here are pics of each player's deployments so you can tell which units are which....

Wissenland:

L-R   Crossbowmen - Knights - Halberdier Detach - Spearmen - Swordsmen - Cannon - Greatswords - Handgunners

Norbert Totenkrantz - L1 Fire Wizard (dispel) - in spearmen
Graf Gerhard Olenbay - GoTE (sword of might) - in swordsmen
Sebastian Drauwulf - Captain (armour of meteoric iron) - in greatswords

Solland:

L-R Hellstorm - Pegasus Captain - Militia - War Altar - Flagellants - Greatswords - Knights - Free Company

Jan Kesslereich - Arch Lector - on war altar
Helmut Meerschweinchenfutter - Captain - on pegasus

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 03:34:45 PM »
The armies of evil...

Chaos Warriors:

L-R  Hounds - Knights - Warshrine - Warriors

Johan Olafsson - Chaos Hero (chaos runesword) - in knights

Vampire Counts:

L-R  Black Knights - Zombies - Fell Bats - Skeletons

Alexai Volkov - vampire lord (avatar of death) - in skeletons
Arashi Yao-Yun - necromancer (black periapt) - in zombies

Orcs and Goblins:

L-R  Wolfriders - Squigs - Boar Chariot - Black Orcs - Doomdiver - Orcs - Goblin Spears

Da Biter - orc boss (martog's best basher) - in black orcs
Lowly Scuzz - goblin boss (biting blade) - in goblins

So that is how the armies set up. For the record, the necromancer started further on the table, near the charnal pit as he had arrived early to drum up a few more dead recruits. That's why he is where he is and why he has a few zombies with him.

More later!

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
Re: The Battle of Waldbach Road - deployment...
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »
I'm diggin' your old school style map with movable unit markers! That's an easy low tech way of doing it if you don't like the hassle of using software like Battle Chronicler.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
This is fantastic so far.

I love the snow theme.

Also, the orc player has squigs, and therefore can't lose.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 12:37:12 AM »
The snow theme came to me late on when I realised I wouldn't be able to transport an entire game board on a 6 hour drive. Worked out nicely in the end though.

You know, some time, I may have to upgrade to a more sophisticated map style... but I must admit, it was kind fun making this one, it's almost exactly to scale too, I drew it out on squared paper first...  :icon_redface: :-P

I had no idea this had been brooding for weeks.

I'm affraid so, I'd been putting way too much day dreaming in...

I think the battle might actually start tomorrow you know, who'd have thought!
And just to wet people's appetites, the objectives in the middle are not just objectives, they have special rules of their own, but no one knows what each one is till they get up close, even I didn't know which would appear where!

Offline Jimmy Invictus

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 04:06:09 AM »
Siberius, admit it. You love torturing us. 

I dig the snowscapes and the way you are making objectives an active part of gameplay! I may have to ri....um, I mean, I may emulate you in the near future.

Yeah.  :engel: