home

Author Topic: Zvezda Royal Cavalry in 28mm multi-part plastics - pics  (Read 2505 times)

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Zvezda Royal Cavalry in 28mm multi-part plastics - pics
« on: April 09, 2005, 10:56:12 AM »
Painted pics of Zvezda mounted knights (not painted by me):

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 11:14:45 AM »
Is it me or is he sitting too high?
I am sure I can see daylight under between the saddle and his body on the last picture.

I remember the original pics of the sprues you posted up IF, and at the time the componentry looked very interesting and varied, but looking at this finished article, generally the proportions look a bit off to me.

The torso looks too big for the legs? That may be because the model is not mounted on the saddle properly.

Also, and I admit I am not too sure of my ground here - awaits Donnachaidh's opinion - but the horse's head looks a bit thin and small too.

I believe the models will be at the Salute Show in London in a couple of weeks, and they are on my 'list' for closer inspection.

I originally wondered, as they were plastics, as to whether there was a mix and match compatibility with the GW ones.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Kulgan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 11:42:59 AM »
those Great swords remind me about Questing Knights , they look good for one thing.

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 02:36:08 PM »
I agree with Midaski, the proportions look off and the horse looks way too small IMO.

I wonder if some of the parts from the sprue (the barding, which IIRC is seperate from the horse?) could be salvaged for conversion work.

Cheers,

Dante

Offline Senor D

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 04:35:29 PM »
I think I fall into the 'it looks funny' camp as well.
And the base isn't 25 X 50 is it?
yep.

Offline killbasa

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 09:46:34 PM »
I think it looks pretty good.  True it does look like he's sitting a little high, but it just makes me think he's ready to pounce off his horse and strangle the enemy.

Offline Bladesinger

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 01:29:31 AM »
What are you guys talking about, sitting high? He's standing. The straight down legs kinda give it away. Why he's standing, I dunno. Not my area of expertise.
Ulric-God of wolves, winter, and laying the divine smackdown.
NO ONE expects the Ulrican Inquisition :!:(stolen from queek)

Offline RendeR

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 02:54:18 AM »
Can anyone show a side by side comparison of GW knights and the Zvezda equivelents? I like the models shown here, but without being able to see them next to one another I really can't make a good judgement.

I'd love to have another source of models just to get some variety (hint hint GW: make more then 2 stinking horse models!!!!)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 11:28:28 AM »
Well if you can wait a couple of weeks, as I said those of us going to Salute exhibition in London, England, will be hopefully seeing the actual models.

I did have a sprue or two on my shopping list.

However there are a LOT of things on the shopping list :wink: and a limited budget.

and Bladesing:

If I remember IF's original post showing the sprue, the legs were like Bret legs are now in 2 halves. I suspect the knight was assembled separately from the horse, and not checked properly in the riding position.

I must admit I've had the odd problem before with the GW Knight metal legs not sitting right on a barded horse, and have had to ease the legs apart a bit for a good fit.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline imperialforge

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 11:08:21 PM »
The knight is indeed a bit high up in the saddle - because there is a proper saddle on the horse, unlike those GW models, sitting with their rears on the horse's back.  In this image there is no "daylight" between the rider and the horse, although there could be - if one is positioned awkwardly.  The proportion of the legs to the torso is fine - the rider may appear a bit largish for the horse, but that is because the bases are crappy.  When I mounted my knights on massive Confrontation bases, they looked a lot better.