home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS  (Read 261696 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of WAoS
« Reply #1800 on: July 04, 2021, 07:14:01 PM »
I far prefer the bare heads myself, and I think the designs of the faces and hair styles are actually really neat.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1801 on: July 05, 2021, 12:16:50 PM »
Agreed with Stonebeard. The Stormcasts are just the same, they've actually had human heads for the models for awhile. Pretty much only the very first batch was helmet only. They are pushing more of the helmet less ones in the promo pictures which really help. Although I'm finding it interesting how many people I see online far prefer the masks.

And the duel boxes are pretty old, even going back to Fantast. Same beasty, slightly different bits to make a generic hero on monster or a special character on slightly different monster. There's lots of them at this point.
I love the bare human heads over the masks, but I don't have Stormcasts, I just get my hands on as many different bare heads as I can for kitbashing and conversions because it's great for the variety!

Only thing is I can't keep up with all the new heads hitting the shelves!
Its gotta hurt when the heads hit the shelfs.

:engel:

Regardless of the humor, I prefer the heads to the masks.  And having two figures in the same monster box can provide opportunity to use either on the monster.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1802 on: July 05, 2021, 01:28:54 PM »
Well the great thing about them is that compared to Space Marines, who also tend to offer a lot of bare headed options especially in the Primaris sets nowadays, the Stormcast heads don't have any earpieces or anything else technological like that. Might sound like an obvious point but I've used SM heads before where I've almost removed half the guys face and had to green stuff an ear in place of a big metal antenna thing.

Stormcast bare heads are great for adding diversity and interest to all kinds of normal human minis and I've got plenty of them filling the ranks of my Empire and Imperial Guard armies already :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1803 on: July 12, 2021, 03:20:32 PM »
So AoS is continuing the trend we saw in 40k. Dominion was the big, special box for the new edition. Now all the stuff in it is getting broken down into 3 different levels that will be the new starter boxes.

First we have the very beginner level starter box.

Then we have the medium, "Average gamer" level.

And then we have the "Extremis" level, which includes quite a bit of scenery and a game board.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1804 on: July 19, 2021, 04:13:32 PM »
The Kruleboyz earn status and power by ruthlessly murdering whoever’s above them in the pecking order. The constant threat of assassination means that Killabosses and Swampcalla Shamans who make it to the top must be exceptional individuals indeed.

Atop all of those rare characters sits the most cunning and devious of them all: Gobsprakk, the Mouth of Mork – so named for his ability to speak any language, conveniently including Kragnos’ long-dead tongue.

We’ve seen many monstrous things emerge from the swamps of Ghur, but they all fall under the shadow of Gobsprakk and his vast Corpse-rippa Vulcha, Killabeak. He’s an important new shaman in the Era of the Beast, and this prophet is possibly the most powerful Kruleboyz orruk in the Mortal Realms.

Corpse-rippa Vulcha. Sometimes Ork names are even extra groan worthy.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1805 on: July 26, 2021, 04:16:37 PM »
New Dragon characters.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1806 on: July 27, 2021, 04:25:27 PM »
Impressive... but not for me I'm afraid.

This is going to sound like a weird thing to say but they look more like characters than they do beasts/monsters. They look like something out of Spyro and I'm sort of picturing them with Sean Connery's voice (10points if you get the reference) having deep conversations about the origins of the world. I read in the original article that they're also magic? Are we talking wizard dragons?...

I do get that they're supposed to be named characters and in that respect ok, they've hit the nail on the head, dragons are clearly no longer just the big nasty lizards that the mighty heroes of take for walkies.

I guess it's just another instance of AoS marmite. I imagine they'll be pretty epic in scale, incredible centrepieces if nothing else.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1807 on: July 28, 2021, 03:05:45 PM »
Like the Vulcher. Give me a unit of smaller versions of them, and I’m in.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1808 on: August 02, 2021, 03:38:01 PM »
More dragons! And they've mentioned that if you take one of those dragon characters, these dragon riders become battleline (Like troop choices), so you can in fact have an all dragon army.

I like the new dragons generally but it shows how honking big the stormcast are. The scale match up is a bit crazy.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1809 on: August 02, 2021, 04:36:56 PM »
Those are some enormous flight stands... :icon_eek:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1810 on: August 02, 2021, 07:17:36 PM »
I kind of want a scale comparison between all the flying models over the last 10 years so we can see them just get taller and taller.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #1811 on: August 03, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
I mean scale-wise these are probably the best there has ever been, because dragons of old were dinky so weren't exactly the most impressive of beasts. I guess as a general rule of thumb the bigger the dragon the better.

Reminds me of a line from Skyrim early on in the game, something along the lines of "Was it as big as the Inn?!", well in the case of these guys they're probably getting there, the dragons of yesteryear were more like "no - maybe a small shed!" :biggriin:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1812 on: August 03, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »
I see three here ... one with no armor, one with arm braces, one with a full chest plate.

They look decent to me, although not sure I want to know how much they cost.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1813 on: October 31, 2021, 03:59:22 PM »
I'm surprised no one posted up any of the big Warhammer previews from yesterday! So I shall pull on my gathering hat and put things up, at least for the future record.

let's start off with the absolute best. Pirates! Technically a new underworlds crew but still Age of Sigmar as far as I'm concerned.

New nurgle sorcerer.

And the new Warcry set. Red Harvest!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #1814 on: November 18, 2021, 05:26:56 PM »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1815 on: November 19, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
Even if there's none that particularly call to me, the deals are usually excellent.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #1816 on: December 06, 2021, 07:54:01 AM »
Pre-orders up for the battleforce boxes.. well most of them..

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/04/brilliant-battleforces-burst-onto-the-scene-in-this-weeks-pre-orders/

Ossiarch box is delayed in some zones..
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1817 on: December 06, 2021, 10:50:05 AM »
Saw they're coming out with a Middle Earth set as well. :icon_cool:

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1818 on: April 03, 2022, 05:05:47 PM »
This week's AOS preorder is the Arena of Shades box, pitting Daughters of Khaine against Nighthaunt with the customary two new HERO models:

On the Daughters of Khaine side is the new High Gladiatrix:

Since being conquered by Morathi, Anvilgard- now known as Har Kuron- has become known for hosting bloody gladiatorial arenas where warriors and beasts will fight to the death in front of baying crowds. The elegant and deadly High Gladiatrix is responsible for overseeing these fighting pits – and she’s armed to the teeth.

The High Gladiatrix carries out the will of Khaine daily with her sacred butchery. Her whip is edged with razors, which she’s also tied into her hair for some extra cutting power. She is a true champion for the Sisters of Slaughter and embodies the pinnacle of their values. This highly capable killer is constantly on the lookout for her next victim in the Arena, where she executes her deadly balletic routines for the roaring delight of her bloodthirsty audience.

The box also gives us a new Nighthaunt character in the form of the Scriptor Mortis, and a new unit in the Craventhorne Guard, aka ghosts with crossbows. Nighthaunt have very little range at the moment, so I can see why they were added + they honestly look really cool.

Also coming soon with the new Nighthaunt Battletome is a new named special character, Awlrach the Drowner.

In life, Awlrach the Drowner was a wicked ferryman who killed those he was supposed to be transporting (we’re sure you can guess his preferred method from his name). Nagash liked his style, so in death he is tasked with ferrying the spirits of the deceased to wherever the Lord of Death needs them.

This fella is curiously similar to Lauchon the Soulseeker endless spell from 2019's Forbidden Power supplement, enough so to make me think they thought Lauchon was a cool idea and decided to expand on it. For context, Lauchon is a remnant/fragment of a pre-Nagash god of death who brought the dead to Shyish from the other realms.

A new supplement, Season of War: Thondia, was also recently previewed:

Season of War: Thondia, the first new campaign book for Warhammer Age of Sigmar, explains how it all shook out in a hefty lore section that sees the Warhammer Age of Sigmar story take a bestial stride forward. Alongside these new narrative sections, you’ll find rules for fielding the Incarnate in your games, as well as battlepacks covering Open Play, Path to Glory, and Matched Play, and a campaign that lets you play out the book’s epic narrative in a series of connected games. Season of War: Thondia includes Realm Rules for setting your games in Thondia, and mechanics for creating your own hero from the Realm of Beasts – a grot priest on a dragon, anyone? Would-be explorers who crack open this book will also find details of the fantastical flora and fauna to be found across Ghur.

SoW: Thondia also appears to be reviving/revisiting the End Times' plot device of Incarnates, although they're no longer ascended named characters but rather:

Scholars of the Mortal Realms believe that the realms themselves are alive – and the incarnates are proof positive. Manifestations of the thaumaturgical energies that suffuse each realm, incarnates came into being after a surge of life energy washed over them in the wake of Alarielle’s Rite of Life.

As the realms are battered by cosmic energies and scarred by war, incarnates emerge, binding themselves to the local realmstone. This acts as the core of a roaring vortex of energy and matter – in the case of the incarnates of Ghur, this means a hurricane of bestial bones. These sentient whirlwinds of ethereal power roam the lands, growing fat by feasting on endless spells.* Some remarkable individuals are even able to bind and command them, albeit only temporarily.

Each realm has its own form of incarnate. While no two are the same, they draw their titles from the place they were first encountered. For example, the primal spirits of Ghur that manifest near titanic boneyards and slaughter grounds were first encountered in the Krondspine Range on the continent of Thondia.

In these treacherous mountains, Yndrasta and her host of Stormcast Eternals battled through a valley, beset from all sides by a feral horde of beastmen and orruks seeking answers to what mysterious power had been whipping the combatants into such a fearful frenzy. The source of these primal Ghurish energies was a bestial graveyard that birthed the first Krondspine Incarnate.

The battle was unusually fierce, and both sides became more savage as they fought on – even growing curved fangs and scaly skin. Only Yndrasta managed to resist the energies of the Krondspine Incarnate as they clashed in a brutal brawl that left the winged hero broken.

Worryingly, this epic battle was against a single incarnate – and these primordial spirits are now popping up throughout Ghur, gobbling up endless spells and arcane power, turning noble warriors into beasts and beasts into insensate fiends.

The Incarnate is dropping as part of a new terrain box. I'm hoping this is a limited time thing and the individual parts will be sold separately later, but it's just as likely they'll produce this and drop it all together, as much of GW's own scenery has rotated out of production in recent years... and I absolutely do want that floating aquifier for my scenery collection.

you know you can just play 8th, right?

Quote from: Midaski
You think he would tell Zak and not his staff?
Even (Grutch) is not that insensitive

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1819 on: April 03, 2022, 09:02:29 PM »
Also coming soon with the new Nighthaunt Battletome is a new named special character, Awlrach the Drowner.

In life, Awlrach the Drowner was a wicked ferryman who killed those he was supposed to be transporting (we’re sure you can guess his preferred method from his name). Nagash liked his style, so in death he is tasked with ferrying the spirits of the deceased to wherever the Lord of Death needs them.

This fella is curiously similar to Lauchon the Soulseeker endless spell from 2019's Forbidden Power supplement, enough so to make me think they thought Lauchon was a cool idea and decided to expand on it. For context, Lauchon is a remnant/fragment of a pre-Nagash god of death who brought the dead to Shyish from the other realms.

Or could it be that Kharon the Ferryman is a powerful story, often repeated in fiction and even in miniature?  :-)

Here, Grenadier's take from decades ago:

https://www.mirliton.it/caronte-underworld-boatman-ud060

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1820 on: April 05, 2022, 10:57:26 PM »
Sure? I was just pointing out that they made that model and then decided to make it again.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1821 on: May 05, 2022, 05:00:29 PM »
I've kind of stopped with the new model updates, but this is an important one for us.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/05/05/revealed-the-massive-project-to-put-mortals-back-into-mortal-realms/

The Mortal Realms encompass worlds of high magic and impossible vistas of epic adventure. So far the Age of Sigmar has seen mighty storm-forged warriors stand against monstrous hordes, aelves on flying sea beasts clash with legions of skeletal constructs, gargants the size of castles wrestle with living gods, and plenty more besides.

But there’s one thing that’s been kind of missing – the ordinary folks who populate the Cities of Sigmar.

The same is true of the Mortal Realms, and while miniatures like the ven Densts and Elemda Braskov from Warhammer Quest: Cursed City have shown us how cool humans can be, they’ve always been a rarity among our releases. It’s time for that to change, as we reimagine the forces of common humanity and the Cities of Sigmar.

Organising the fractious Free Cities is no easy task, so the full release is still quite a way off – but we don’t intend to sit around and wait. Over the coming months, you can follow those who take up the Coin Malleus – a sacred, symbolic payment given to members of a Dawnbringer Crusade – and join us on Warhammer Community as we journey through the Warhammer Studio’s development of this jaw-dropping project.

This is one of the biggest undertakings to hit the Mortal Realms since the launch of Warhammer Age of Sigmar – expect to see new concepts and miniatures grounded in the lore… but also quite unlike anything you’ve seen before.

I just ripped some of the important bits, there's a sneak peak of some real early stage renders if you follow the link, but Cities of Sigmar are coming comrades.

Offline Old Stonebeard

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1822 on: May 05, 2022, 05:09:16 PM »
About damn time.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1823 on: May 05, 2022, 05:14:38 PM »
There's a bunch of new models previewed for different stuff, but I'm lazy so enjoy these two new ones based on Black Library characters.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #1824 on: May 06, 2022, 03:10:50 AM »
These are very cool. I'm nearly finished with my Gravelords army, but I will have to save a spot for this guy.