home

Author Topic: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .  (Read 67181 times)

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
Re: Hi from a newbie and my deep dive into WFB. . .
« Reply #550 on: March 26, 2022, 02:55:59 PM »
More is better for me, i'm sitting on 4,000 painted models roughly for 6th only.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #551 on: July 10, 2022, 11:42:33 PM »
Okay one more post here because this just happened.

My god I finally f***ing did it. Finally found that sweet spot for my 6th starter Empire and Orc armies.

When I first got into this hobby, I was all over the place mostly from the excitement from all the new stuff I was exposed to, and I bought too much. Same happens with my other hobbies. So trying to find a way to trim down and enjoy what each starter brought, I decided to base my armies around what was included in the starters. For awhile I was trying different things for my 6th starter, but was never really happy with the units and the points I was spending. I decided to expand each up to what the Battalion sets at the time included, with some extras, and I am really happy now. So here are my 1000 point Empire and Orc armies for the 6th starter:

** Empire (using the 6th Army Book) **

Captain + Heavy Armor, Shield, Warhorse, Barding - 70
Captain + Heavy Armor, Battle Standard - 79
Battle Wizard + Level 2 - 95
20 Spearmen + Shields, Champion, Standard, Musician - 165
10 Handgunners + Champion, Standard, Musician - 100
10 Handgunners - 80
8 Knights + Champion, Standard, Musician - 224
Great Cannon - 100

Total - 913 ~ so leaves some points to add magic items

** Orcs (using the 6th Army Book) **

Big Boss + Light Armor, Shield, Boar - 85
Big Boss + Light Armor, Battle Standard - 92
Shaman + Level 2 - 100
20 Boyz + Additional Hand Weapon, Champion, Standard, Musician - 168
10 Arrer Boys + Light Armor, Champion, Standard, Musician - 108
10 Arrer Boys + Light Armor - 80
10 Goblin Wolf Riders + Spears, Shields, Champion, Standard, Musician - 160
Orc Chariot - 80
Spear Chukka - 35

Total - 908 (which leaves some points for magic items)

So you'll notice I am using the army books here instead of the Raven Hordes I have always referred to, but I started going out and getting the army books or codexes for all the armies in any starter set that was released at the time. Its not my intention to get another army book for 6th for any other army I decide to keep.

So I think these armies might look kind of boring, and I imagine some peeps are sick of the models since I imagine some of them have been around for so long, but since I missed out on those days, they are ok for me, and since I see them in pics from that era all the time, I feel like they capture the feel of the time period, even if they aren't solid armies. Actually, both seem rather shooty. And I know I can break up the handgunners without the standard up into detachments if I ever want to go that route.

I have some other units I really was so stoked to get before but just couldn't find a place for them in a 1000 point army list, so prob will let most of them go. I am really trying hard to shrink down my collection.

It's just kind of funny how typically the models in the starters tend to be the less impressive of the models released, but I really try to get the most milage out of them. Still not planning on working on these models until I am done with my 4th and 5th starters. Just trying to get the armies ready for when I get there.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #552 on: July 13, 2022, 03:12:37 AM »
Getting ready could involve cutting, cleaning, trimming, priming, and painting.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #553 on: July 18, 2022, 02:43:46 PM »
I think thats fine TBH.
Fairly even matchup - Orcs probably have the edge IMO, but thats fine.

I wouldn’t worry about the arrow boys being shooty - they are still orcs with T4 and a rank so can get into combat with anything except the knights and have a decent chance.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #554 on: March 09, 2023, 08:22:34 PM »
How's your Empire and Orc armies coming along? :engel:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra