home

Author Topic: First Game in a Long Time (1,500 pts)  (Read 966 times)

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
First Game in a Long Time (1,500 pts)
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
A local store is trying to have a monthly tournament for Warhammer to help build the local community up. I went and...was the only one. So one of the shop owners busted out his DoC gave me a game.

Army of Averland
Lord-
Archlector - GW, AoMI, Dawnstone
Heroes-
Captain - BSB, Enchanted Shield
Battle Wizard - lvl 2, Rod of Power
Core-
Swordsmen x25 - Full Command (5 handgunner detachment)
Halberdiers x40 - Full Command (5 handgunner detchment)
Flagellants x25
Special-
Pistoliers x5 - Full Command
Mortar x2
Cannon

Daemons (to the best of my knowledge)
Heroes-
Masque of Slannesh
Herald of Slannesh - lvl 1
Herald of Tzeentch - lvl 2
Core-
Bloodletters x20 - Standard and Musician
Daemonettes x20 - Full Command
Horrors x20 - Standard and Musician
Nuglings x6

We just played the standard pitched battle and we used very little terrain that played almost no part.

I deployed with Pistoliers along my far left flank (hoping to move behind him) with a battle line in the center of handgunners, then Swordsmen (w/ Wizard), Halberdiers (w/ Archlector and BSB), and the handgunners. The warmachines deployed behind this line with the flagellants on the far right to counter his Bloodletters.

He formed up to match my line with (again, left to right) Daemonettes (with Herald), Masque, Nuglings, and Horrors. Bloodletters moved to the right to try and move fast and get behind me.

Spells-
Battle Wizard - Fireball and Firestorm
Herald o' Slannesh - Phantasmagoria
Herald o' Tzeentch - Gift of Chaos and Bolt of Change

I got Turn 1 and took it.

Turn 1-
Movements: Between Vanguard and movement the Pistoliers are well behind his force but outside of pistol range. Nothing else moves.
Magic: Dumped it all in a max fireball on the Masque, got it, rolled 5 hits and did nothing.  :-(
Shooting: Handgunners killed 2 Daemonettes, Cannon smote two bases, 1 mortar missed while the other misfired and didn't shoot this turn.
Combat: None

Movements: General advance while the Masque moves to counter my Pistoliers.
Magic: Phantasmagoria gets off (I let it), Masque out of range
Shooting: He had held the Horrors back to let the Herald shoot and forgot to take the shooting attack.

Turn 2-
Movements: Pistoliers pass Masque and turn to face her (him?it?)
Magic: Firestormed and Fireballed the Daemonettes and killed...none.
Shooting: Pistoliers, botch hurting the Masque, Handgunners kill 2 more Daemonettes (they love me), cannon aces another Nurgling base, mortar targets Daemonettes and...misfire (can't shoot.)

Movements: Apparently lone models have an almost 180 line of sight so the masque charges the Pistoliers. I stand and shoot but don't hit her. Daemonettes fail to charge Swordsmen (and lose 1 to handgunners) while the Nurglings/Bloodletters/Horros advance.
Magic: Low winds plus Archlector stop everything.
Combat: Masque kills 1! pistolier, they do one wound back, and win via musician. Masque pops  ::heretic::

Turn 3-
Movements: Pistoliers move up behind the Daemonettes.
Magic: Fireball is more effective and kills 4 Daemonettes.
Shooting: 1 Mortar missed the Bloodletters, Cannon finishes off a base of Nurglings, while the Pistoliers and Handgunners kill another 3 Daemonettes.

Movements: Daemonettes fail charge Handgunners, Nurglings charge Halberdiers (and lose a wound to handgunners), and Bloodletters fail charge Flagellants.
Magic: None makes it off.
Combat: Nurglings kill 3 Halberdiers but are reduced to one base (1 wound) after popping.

Turn 4-
Movements: Pistoliers keep up with Daemonettes.
Magic: A second miscasted fireball (did it once before) against the Daemonettes kills a few.
Shooting: Pistoliers and Handgunners finish off the Daemonettes and Herald. 1 Mortar misfires (can't shoot now and next) while the other misses the Bloodletters. Cannon misses Horrors.

Movements: Horrors reposition. Bloodletters fail to charge flagellants (again!)
Magic: Bolt of Change kills 9 flagellants!

Turn 5 or 6 (seem to have lost a turn somewhere)-
Movements: Pistoliers, Swordsmen, Handgunners, and Halberdiers reposition to get at Horrors next turn.
Magic: Fireball and Firestorm at Bloodletters kills none.
Shooting: Cannon hits dirt, Handgunners kill 1 Horror, Pistoliers kill 3,  Mortar 1 misses Bloodletters, and Mortar 2 DIRECT HITS 'em. Kills...3. Excellent ward saves work in his favor.

Movements: Horror reposition to Gift of Chaos 4 units. Bloodletter charge flagellants.
Magic: Gift of Chaos kills 2 Swordsment, 3 Halberdiers, and 2 Handgunners (moral is fine)
Combat: IDK when it happened (lost a turn somewhere) but only 4 Bloodletters faced off against 14 Flagellants. He killed another 4 while I finished off his unit.

I lost:
1/2 Unit of Flagellants

He lost:
Everything but the Horrors and Herald of Tzeentch

Things are a bit weird this game. I had 3 miscasts on my wizard (killed a few Swordsment each) and 6 warmachine misfires, WAY above average. My mortars also couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I was saved by his Masque botching and his repeated (5-6) failed charges buying me time. Bad rolls are bad but enough of them will eventually work out I guess. I was over intimidated by Daemonic reputation and I should have marched the Halberdiers forward into the Horrors.
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.