home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 203999 times)

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #325 on: May 08, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »
how much does that unit weigh  :lol:
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #326 on: May 11, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »
HOLY SHIT I HAD MISSED THE UNIT OF FLAGELLANTS!!!  ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

That's one huge horde of crazy people! If I may suggest, you should add flagellants around the war altar, not just in front of it.

But otherwise just pure awesomeness!

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

We are thinking on that... we'll see what configuration they finally use in the battle.

how much does that unit weigh  :lol:

Cannot tell you exactly how much. But probably less than a unit of 8 bloodletters on juggernauts... from 4-5th edition!!  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #327 on: May 11, 2017, 09:05:11 AM »
Xathrodox, as I promised,a fistfull of war machines:

- 15 great cannons
- 5 tilean cannons
- 9 hellblasters
- 5 mortars
- 7 steam tanks
- 1 Empire carriage

(some of them miss this photo, sorry)

Diosko 's tank: Middenheim

A pair of tanks of mine: Sigmar and (probably) Ostermark

As always, you can find more pictures on the blog, if you are interested in. http://thegatesofkislev.blogspot.com.es/

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #328 on: May 11, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
That's an awesome artillery train right there, but isn't some of it a bit anachronistic for the Great War Against Chaos? Helblasters are supposed to be new and experimental during the present day of WFB, i.e. some 200 years after the Gates of Kislev
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #329 on: May 11, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
The scale of this project surprises me time and time again! That's very impressiv!

(I'm currently painting 3 cannons/mortar - for some reason, it's taking me several hours for each and I hate it; I don't know how you accomplish that)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #330 on: May 11, 2017, 11:50:41 AM »
That's a really cool idea with those embarked soldiers. I applaud that! :eusa_clap:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #331 on: May 11, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
That's an awesome artillery train right there, but isn't some of it a bit anachronistic for the Great War Against Chaos? Helblasters are supposed to be new and experimental during the present day of WFB, i.e. some 200 years after the Gates of Kislev

Well, this is not my impression, and let me explain you why.
Firstly, as fas as I know, GW never precised when hellblasters appeared in battle for the first time. Are rocket launchers, and not hellblasters, the newest war machine in the empire armies. Perhaps you have confused both.
Anyway, 200 years in the Empire history is NOT a long time in terms of technology in Warhammer World. This is not like our history, where roman weapons and armoury from the IIIth century BC is completly different from IVth AD. The pace of history in Warhammer is much more slower.
So, after a deep research and a long discussion we decided not to include:
- Huracanums
- Luminarchs
- only 1 wizard for each path o magic
- Rocket launchers

The scale of this project surprises me time and time again! That's very impressiv!

(I'm currently painting 3 cannons/mortar - for some reason, it's taking me several hours for each and I hate it; I don't know how you accomplish that)

Yes, God bless airbrush!
Ouu.. sorry
Sigmar bless it!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #332 on: May 11, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »
What are tilean cannons?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #333 on: May 11, 2017, 02:59:40 PM »
I'm guessing they're Bronzino's Galloper guns.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #334 on: May 11, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
Ah! Had a quick scan, but browsing on mobile not always best!
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #335 on: May 11, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »
Rogers Kul, you're probably right. I grew up with 6th edition where the Helblaster (along with all von Meinkopt inventions) were described as very recent, but that might have ended up being revised. Come to think of it, one of the steam tanks has a mini-helblaster, and those were all built by Leonardo himself, so somewhere around 2000. (Which, honestly, is a clear inconsistency to me, but whatever). Good to see that you have given proper thought to what might be anachronistic.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #336 on: May 11, 2017, 03:38:42 PM »

Hi Konrad, we did a research regarding this and other non-clear issues at the very beginning of the project, I link the post on the The Electors' Forum: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,51441.25.html.

With the invaluable help of the colleagues S.O.F. and Naitsabes, we got so many answers to our background questions, and we obtained more fonts where to dive. Then, the issue concerning the Helblaster is resolved on the next citation:

Quote from: S.O.F.
Quote from: Drakenhof
Hellblaster: Non found an historical reference further that was an engineer Von Meinkopt’s invention

Von Meinkopt was Leonardo's greatest pupil at the Engineers college thus would have lived and died in the 2000's IC. Helblasters would have been in use during the Great War though true ones mainly again in the Reikland/Altdorf forces, similar other mulitbarrel artillery was most likely part of other Electors arsenals.

Of course, this forum is really a great help because here we can deal with issues that are not so clear or obvious in background terms.

I'm guessing they're Bronzino's Galloper guns.

Exactly, the tilean cannons are the Bronzino's ones. You can see them on the right part of the pic. We have the horses but we decided not to include them. They will be joined to the Westerland's Elector Count contingent.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:22:25 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #337 on: May 11, 2017, 03:48:56 PM »
What are tilean cannons?

Up to the north-east!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #338 on: May 11, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
the old galloper guns ( old dogs of war) regiment ...they look great dude looking forward to how they turn out!!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #339 on: May 11, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »

Love the add-ons to the Steam Tanks - bet you've given steveb some food for thought there.  :engel:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #340 on: May 11, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »
Ah, I didn't know that von Meinkopt had lived at the same time as Leonardo. That does indeed narrow down the chronology quite a bit.

I suppose, then, that the "experimental" weapons aren't significantly newer than the "common" gunpowder weapons (handguns, pistols, cannons, mortars). But rather, they're just labeled experimental because they are more complicated, less reliable and more WIP while the common weapons are mature designs.

In Mordheim, which largely coincides chronologically with the founding of the College of Engineers, even common handguns and pistols are described as newfangled and experimental.

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
Exactly, I think that's the point. Even the weapons that were invented by Leonardo himself are still too umpredictable and so they remain tagged as 'experimental'. I grew up with Mordheim and I liked the concept of the gunpowder of a 'dark era' - with a misfire chance even firing a pistol.

In regard of the Steam Tank with a Helblaster that you mentioned previously, the fact is that twelve machines were constructed under Leonardo's supervision, but in the contemporary Warhammer times (2522 +/-), only eight engines ave survived, and no one has been able to reproduce the original mechanisms and build a copy right from the start. I don't remember the exactly source, but background tells that Steam Tanks are often nearly destroyed during campaigns and they require maintenance. Once the scrap has returned to the workshop, the engineers try to 'improve' the former work, introducing substantial modifications, such the Von Zeppel's Steam Tank and the other 6 ed. introduced variants.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #342 on: May 11, 2017, 09:17:29 PM »
So much knowledge in this forum  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Love the add-ons to the Steam Tanks - bet you've given steveb some food for thought there.  :engel:

Hahaha!! Steveb' steam tank collection is unbeatable!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #343 on: May 12, 2017, 01:19:19 AM »
I suppose, then, that the "experimental" weapons aren't significantly newer than the "common" gunpowder weapons (handguns, pistols, cannons, mortars). But rather, they're just labeled experimental because they are more complicated, less reliable and more WIP while the common weapons are mature designs.

I think the work in progress bit the biggest key. Limited production runs and tinkering by years of different Engineers mean that these weapons, whilst of course the same in game terms, are likely wildly different from gun to gun.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #344 on: May 12, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »
So much firepower and cool konwledge! I've just finished "Iron Company" by Chris Wraight, so my interest in all things cannony is at its peak. Splendid stuff! :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #345 on: May 12, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
ok I love the idea of the stream tank with troops sitting on it might have to steal that idea !!!
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #346 on: May 12, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
Mister stupid wanders in from the rain and asks- is that a plastic steam tank? With the riders. Never seen or knew it existed.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #347 on: May 12, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
They are all plastic steam tanks except for the middle one.
But I wanted a different look for every one of them. The crew you mention comes from militia, rangers (is that the english name for archers skirmishers?), handgunners and spearmen sprues.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #348 on: May 17, 2017, 11:27:36 AM »
Some more updates.

Firstly, about gaming.
In order to make the game day easier and confortable, we're preparing a special army list. An ordinary army list would take it about 30 pages... and this is not very useful. In contrast, all random heroes will carry the same equipment, as follows:

And for special characters we're making cards, like Warhammer Invasion, Magic the Gathering or things like this. This is a first approach:

This will make far easier :
1)to recognize special characters on the table by both sides
2)to share stats and special rules also for both sides.
There is a complete description on the blog.

Meanwhile, in terms of modelling...
I'm working on a very special filler: the burgmaster of Marienburg, who will be the filler for another horde of greatswords (they will represent his personal bodyguard)

I'm waiting to find a proper lady to sit inside it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:30:47 AM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #349 on: May 17, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
Great work on those character sheets and that couch looks ace. I can't wait to see it painted. :)

Gneisenau