home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 201639 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #400 on: June 26, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
5 Giants... holy crap! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #401 on: July 01, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
Unexpected news on the background!

This week Pep was doing his job reading some ancient White Dwarf (he always say he is very busy... now we know doing what...) and he found something exciting (exciting for a kind of people like us, obviously).

The thing is, in the White Dwarf of june 2002 (I don't know the number for the english/usa edition, Is number 68 for spanish one), Gav Thorpe showed the new Hordes of Chaos army book. But between his text there was 2 short stories about Asavar Kul: the first one, regarding his origins; the second one, his final battle against Magnus.

No! I said Magnus!

Well, in both text we know a little bit more about this obscure character, including that he was driving a chariot on the Battle at the Gates of Kislev and also that he traded with chaos dwarves to achieve war machines! This means Asavar Kul had Infernal Cannons within his army!

This is a very interesting update. We thought that famous Infernal Cannons didn't appear in the Chaos armies until Archaon times. But we were wrong. And Furthermore, this mention is curious because in 2002 the miniatres model didn't exists yet. It appears two years later, in 2004. It's clear that on 2002 designers were already thinking on that war machine.

Anyway, two important informations for the battle!

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #402 on: July 01, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »
Very interesting.
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #403 on: July 02, 2017, 03:16:23 AM »
Cool stuff. So the 'no hell cannon' came from where? Does it say Archaeon used them first in the old 'Storm of Chaos' book?

Time to hobby away then. Build some hell cannons.

p.s. somebody awesome should post these short stories...in English.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #404 on: July 02, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »
Could Warmachines  be meant to be EarthShaker cannon and similar weaponries from ravening hordes army list? :-P

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #405 on: July 03, 2017, 09:07:27 AM »
Cool stuff. So the 'no hell cannon' came from where? Does it say Archaeon used them first in the old 'Storm of Chaos' book?

Time to hobby away then. Build some hell cannons.

p.s. somebody awesome should post these short stories...in English.

I can't remember where is said that Archaon used them for the first time. Even I'm not sure of that, but so we believed in our imaginary.

Could Warmachines  be meant to be EarthShaker cannon and similar weaponries from ravening hordes army list? :-P

Strictly, it could be. But there are some reasons to think on hellcannons instead of other chaos dwarves machines (specially those of Forge World):

- In 2002 didn't exists the Forge World Chaos Dwarves line
- Not even in 2004 when the Hellcannon released
- In the Games Workshop books and army books, only hellcannons exists for Chaos army list (until the release of Gathering Storm)
- Archaon only used Hellcanonns, so we can imagine Asavar Kul did the same
- Regarding Earthshaker or rocketlaucher from Ravening Hordes, these two warmachines has always been related with Chaos Dwarves army list

Of course this is not 100% sure, there is no evidence. Who knows, if within next few moths we can achieve the Dreadquake mortar... is trully a great model...

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #406 on: July 03, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »
Pretty cool looking kit there.
But speaking of 'old' white dwarvs, my first white dwarf is issue 175 from July, 1994. I might be preaching to the coir, you guys probably have even older issues

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #407 on: July 03, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
No Rowsdower, Spanish numbering is not the same as English. My first WD was number 30 and, if I'm not wrong, was from 1996.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #408 on: July 04, 2017, 12:36:49 PM »
A dance with giants:

(more pictures with details on the blog)

I hope some of them inspire you for your won conversions!  :::cheers:::

Offline Sergeant Henry

• Members
  • Koblenz / Germany
« Reply #409 on: July 04, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
A really great bunch of giants!  :eusa_clap:
Fantastic work!  :eusa_clap:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #410 on: July 04, 2017, 01:32:24 PM »
I think someone needs to call Gotrek & Felix... pronto! :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #411 on: July 04, 2017, 02:57:18 PM »
Great picture... but the soles of his feet are too clean!

Awesome work!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:16:20 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Silvero

• Members
  • Commission painter, at your service!
    • https://www.facebook.com/HeyPaintIt/
« Reply #412 on: July 04, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
Wow! Whole unit of Giants!  :Ohmy: :Ohmy: :mellow:
Great conversions and ideas, brilliant paintjob - love the skin tone and bright colours too!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #413 on: July 04, 2017, 11:00:32 PM »
Wow just wow sir  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #414 on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:58 AM »
These are truly remarkable - a real gem in an already fantastic collection!
cheers,
Lee

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #415 on: July 07, 2017, 04:03:21 PM »
A giant effort of gargantuan proportions indeed! That skin looks to be as smooth as silk.
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #416 on: July 07, 2017, 04:20:23 PM »
Thanks you all guys!

A giant effort of gargantuan proportions indeed! That skin looks to be as smooth as silk.

Well, they are giants, but also pompous... jejeje

On the other hand. After a long discussion now I can confirm that we will use Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition rules instead of 9th Age. If you are more interested on the issue, I wrote an article on the blog and we invite you to express your opinion.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #417 on: July 07, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »
Hey, I'll express my opinion right here:  :eusa_clap:

And, I hope you will include lots of Chaos Dwarfs and their war machines. It does fit the background of an Everchosen going all in, uniting all the factions of chaos. If I were to do a project like this I wouldn't be held back by trivial things like army book entries.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #418 on: July 09, 2017, 11:16:35 AM »
Glad I like you the change we've made.

Regarding Chaos dwarves, as you know our purpose is to recreate as fine as we can this historical episode. And the only mention of chaos dwraves in that war was only to trade with Asavar Kul. Never mentioned chaos dwarves infantry units within his army, so we'll not include it.
I have to admit that this kind of large battles would be perfect to fit Forge World artillery weapons from Chaos Dwarves, but, as a historian am I (in fact, we are), I feel compelled to be faithful with our sources!

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #419 on: July 09, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »
Using 8th edition rules seems like a better idea for a game like this. The 9th age is okay, but it's a competitive system. 8th edition is much more fun due to all special rules and some randomness factor.
Also, I love those giants. :eusa_clap:
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #420 on: July 09, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »
Clearly, not as chaotic as your own giant!  :icon_wink:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #421 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »
Using all the special rule names and characters that actually are what they are i think is the best way.
The constant internal conversion would be annoying.

Are you using pure 8th edition, or perhaps going to make some "campaign changes" around composition and unique units?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #422 on: July 09, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »
Of course this is not 100% sure, there is no evidence. Who knows, if within next few moths we can achieve the Dreadquake mortar... is trully a great model...

Seems like somebody at Forgeworld had a look at  the Gerät 040/041 (Mörser Karl).
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #423 on: July 09, 2017, 10:58:21 PM »
Glad I like you the change we've made.

Regarding Chaos dwarves, as you know our purpose is to recreate as fine as we can this historical episode. And the only mention of chaos dwraves in that war was only to trade with Asavar Kul. Never mentioned chaos dwarves infantry units within his army, so we'll not include it.
I have to admit that this kind of large battles would be perfect to fit Forge World artillery weapons from Chaos Dwarves, but, as a historian am I (in fact, we are), I feel compelled to be faithful with our sources!

"History is written by the victors". I wouldn't treat the existing material as gospel. Would some Imperial scholar really mention some units of chaos dwarfs? My two guideline would be to make sure that you include everything that you can glean from official material but not the other way around. And, things not mentioned shouldn't outshine what those victors decided to write down. For example, don't include an uber-giant unit of chaos dwarfs with multiple characters of death that has a good chance of mowing through a 'historical' figure.

just what I would do. Keep your project pure if you want, it will still be awesome.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »
Well, look, to make a gigantic game we are always ready for. This time we wanted to make something special in terms of Warhammer background. No matter who writes the story. In fact, GW did, not Empire, nor Chaos. The funny thing is to follow strickly what background says, at least this is the way we understant it. Thare are a lot of "large" games with 8.000 or 10.000 points per side BUT which armies are unreal and impossibe alliances, only to addsome friends/armies to make a larger battle. We don't it. For sure, Chaos dwarves are close to Warriors of Chaos than others. But, then, why not also Skavens? And, also, Chaos Dwarves pray to Hashut, not the 4 Chaos Gods as Beastmen and Daemons do.
This is also the reason to reduce to weight of ogres in the battle. Their Army book stated they fought on both sides on that battle, and I have a apinted army of 8.000 points of them. But this would take importance to the main armies confrontation, that is: Empire vs Warriors of Chaos. So qe only add some 2 infantry units of ogres with chaos (and also with conversions to make them a little bit chaostic style) and a large unit of maneaters with Empire.
We could say the same for High Elves or Dwarves, but we decided to reduce them to a 2.500 points army.

On the other hand... don't be sad. When the ashes of this battle comes down, we'll make a large campaign recreating more historical battles (Including End of Times ones). Then I will have to call my german friend and general Mr. Parerson, who will assemble his chaos dwarves army (oldhammer) to fight against Grasientus and then versus Grimgor. Will be no rest for us....