home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 203343 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #475 on: August 17, 2017, 01:06:48 AM »
No special rule for that Illumini.
I understand you are talking about the death of Asavar Kul descibed in some books... but there is also another -most epic- version of his death. It appears in an ancient White Dwarf (about when GW released Hordes of Chaos army book) and explains the youth of this Chosen One and how he conquered leadership of his tribe (the Kurgan). In this version, it was Magnus the Pious himself who defeated Asavar Kul in a duel. Much more epic... but also much more unreal. Magnus was a priest with high leadership skills, and some kind of fighting skills... but obviously, very far from any chosen of Chaos, not talk in comparison of Asavar Kul itself.
I would like to read the story!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Alex-bbr

• Members
« Reply #476 on: August 17, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
Glorious.

He deserve at leat 2d6 impact hits for such a chariot.  :ph34r:

Awesome conversion. Great job as always!
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #477 on: August 17, 2017, 10:09:24 AM »
I understand you are talking about the death of Asavar Kul descibed in some books... but there is also another -most epic- version of his death. It appears in an ancient White Dwarf (about when GW released Hordes of Chaos army book) and explains the youth of this Chosen One and how he conquered leadership of his tribe (the Kurgan). In this version, it was Magnus the Pious himself who defeated Asavar Kul in a duel. Much more epic... but also much more unreal. Magnus was a priest with high leadership skills, and some kind of fighting skills... but obviously, very far from any chosen of Chaos, not talk in comparison of Asavar Kul itself.

Didn't Magnus defeated Kul in every version of this story? I've only read two, I think - in one the dying Kul says something about his Gods forsaking him, while Magnus delivers the most badass line, about Sigmar always being by his side. It reads much better in the original, so just take my word on that. :-P
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #478 on: August 17, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
sweet Kul model! so, Magnus done, Asavar Kul done. It's almost time to put the beer in the fridge and get ready for the big show.  :eusa_clap:

Regarding Magnus vs. Kul, I would think Sigmar pumped up Magnus to Super-Magnus for a few crucial seconds in that duel. That tended to be what happened when a big badass was about to win (until the End Times), see e.g. Karl-Franz vs some orc in the 4th edition book. A bit hard to emulate on the table top without killing the fun, you don't want to be too deterministic.

So, is there a rule in play to keep Kul alive for a bit at least? As is, he is pretty much the biggest cannon target in the history of warhammer.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #479 on: August 17, 2017, 07:46:50 PM »
Great conversion! Three horses pulling the chariot is not something you see very often, but perhaps its a nod towards Nurgle?  :happy: The Mammoth in the background is just insane.
cheers,
Lee

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #480 on: August 17, 2017, 10:04:13 PM »
Thank you all for your lines. Jordi (Kul's owner) has no account in this forum, but I'll report him your kind commentaries.

So, is there a rule in play to keep Kul alive for a bit at least? As is, he is pretty much the biggest cannon target in the history of warhammer.

Jajajaja! Yeah... maybe we will have tu put a line of giats and other monsters in front of him!  :icon_lol: Well, more seriously, he has similar stats with Archaon, which includes and special guard save of 4+ o 3+... don't remember exactly. On the other hand, empire artillery will have more importants targets to shoot, specially, winged monsters and flying units.

Didn't Magnus defeated Kul in every version of this story? I've only read two, I think - in one the dying Kul says something about his Gods forsaking him, while Magnus delivers the most badass line, about Sigmar always being by his side. It reads much better in the original, so just take my word on that. :-P

There is a version where Asavar Kul is killed by his back when storming the walls of Kislev, just at the turn of the tide, by some unkown chaos warrior.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #481 on: August 18, 2017, 10:50:47 AM »
sweet Kul model! so, Magnus done, Asavar Kul done. It's almost time to put the beer in the fridge and get ready for the big show.  :eusa_clap:

Regarding Magnus vs. Kul, I would think Sigmar pumped up Magnus to Super-Magnus for a few crucial seconds in that duel. That tended to be what happened when a big badass was about to win (until the End Times), see e.g. Karl-Franz vs some orc in the 4th edition book. A bit hard to emulate on the table top without killing the fun, you don't want to be too deterministic.

Yeah, that makes sense. Also I think that story about KF being empowered is from the 6th edition armybook. I've read it there, at least.

Kul should be immune to killing blow and heroic killing blow, I think.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #482 on: August 18, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
fantastic chariot, great construction and paint job, thank you for sharing!  steveb

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #483 on: August 20, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »
Great Work, but here is picture of Asavar Kul  :engel:

https://images.plurk.com/6hqj3kVC3jtKcbF4ApI5xB.jpg
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #484 on: August 20, 2017, 11:19:00 AM »
No Kirgan, this is Engra Deathsword, one of the Kul lieutenants. Also in the same battle, also converted:

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #485 on: August 21, 2017, 11:07:42 AM »
Sorry my mistake I was thinking on this http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Asavar_Kul?file=Asavar_Kul.PNG but lots of tabs do the job wrong, Engra is most beautiful for me and amazing work on him, simply and beautiful work  :engel:

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #486 on: August 21, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
Thanks mate.

One day I will make a chaos champion based on your profile picture, from Highlander. Always loved this character!

And now, more work done. Imperial artillery:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #487 on: August 21, 2017, 02:59:26 PM »
Insane!! Wonderful but completely and incredibly insane! Love it 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #488 on: August 21, 2017, 03:09:54 PM »
Thanks mate.

One day I will make a chaos champion based on your profile picture, from Highlander. Always loved this character!

And now, more work done. Imperial artillery:

Always for help, there is two my favorite characters, one is Kurgan the other one and maybe my favorite is Deatdealer
https://www.google.rs/search?q=death+dealer&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNoY_azejVAhWCK5oKHdQLAX8Q_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=920#imgrc=hTiBo106ku7KTM:
I love your work, just go for it  :engel:

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
Then I'm sure you'll like the archenemy of King Arthur in the recent Guy Richie's film.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #490 on: August 21, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
finally a grand battery, be still my pounding heart. thanks for sharing  steveb

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #491 on: August 21, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »
Notice you have the same problem as me with one of your Helblasters having no firing mechanism.
Simple fix, the icon on top of the banner pole from the State Troops [the one before the latest feather one's.] doubles up nicely, just need three banner poles, snip them off and there's a firing mechanism. Tried it with panther helmet from cavalry first ,but looked daft.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2017, 01:34:27 AM »
WOW
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2017, 07:06:21 AM »
Notice you have the same problem as me with one of your Helblasters having no firing mechanism.
Simple fix, the icon on top of the banner pole from the State Troops [the one before the latest feather one's.] doubles up nicely, just need three banner poles, snip them off and there's a firing mechanism. Tried it with panther helmet from cavalry first ,but looked daft.

Thanks Scrubber. This is a nice solution!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #494 on: August 23, 2017, 12:52:25 PM »
Sweet Sigmar. Now THAT'S a lot of firepower. Holy shit! :ph34r:

Gneisenau

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #495 on: August 25, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
Then I'm sure you'll like the archenemy of King Arthur in the recent Guy Richie's film.

Yes he is nice done  :smile2:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #496 on: August 25, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Quite the artillery park there! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #497 on: September 04, 2017, 10:06:57 PM »
More updatings.
Characters for boths sides.

On the left corner, from Chaos wastes, 400 pounds weight and 7 feet height, devoted of Nurgle and wearing a putrid armour... Vaaaalnir the Reaper!

And on the right side, coming from all the corners of the Empire, red skirt and bright armour and defending the cutl of Sigmar.... theeeee warrior-priests!!

The Arch Lector:

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #498 on: September 05, 2017, 06:52:42 AM »
A wall of artillery fire and a wall of faith - thats what the Empire is made of!
cheers,
Lee

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #499 on: September 05, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »
That's a lot of WP's! They look truly magnificent, Sigmar be praised. You even have the one from Avatars of War. He's a favorite of mine. :blush:

Gneisenau