home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 133556 times)

Offline Drakenhof

Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »
Hi all,

First, thanks for your support mates! :eusa_clap:

I managed to finish the assembling of plastic empire regiments. This forum has been an essential source of inspiration with the thousands of examples of Empire models I've seen!

As Rogers said, due the amount of work still to be done, the plastic regiments are assigned to a "Hired Brush". Also on next pics I show you some caracthers I'll paint, and part of the cavalry reinforcement army who will enter on the table once the battle has started, this ones will be painted by Arnau (High Elf Commaner on the battle).

Next regiments to be set up will be empire and dogs of war metal ones from 90's ranges, I hope to post pics of painted models very soon :icon_wink:

More pics and info on blog, cheers!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:38:57 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Illumini

« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2016, 07:09:51 PM »
That is a massive pile of unpainted dudes  :ph34r:

I spot at least 30 kislev cavalry, my heart warms  :::cheers:::
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Sharkbelly

« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
Lots of great old terrain pieces in the background, too.

Offline Alex-bbr

« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2016, 07:16:49 AM »
A lot of work in perspective  :eusa_clap:

Its a really nice conllection of metal models!

Next regiments to be set up will be empire and dogs of war metal ones from 90's ranges, I hope to post pics of painted models very soon :icon_wink:

Where do you find so much OOP models ?  :-D

Thank you for sharing your projetc, simply awesome. I shared it on french forum too and you make you some publicity.  :happy:
The Guard dies and does not surrender...

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2016, 07:30:05 AM »
This is truly one of the most (awe) inspiring projects I've seen in a long time...

I am more than a bit jealous
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2016, 08:56:32 AM »
Sweet Sigmar on a pogo stick, this is incredible! The ammount of work that you're putting into that project is both inspiring and staggering! :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline steveb

« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2016, 01:36:51 PM »
cannot wait to see it painted.  steveb

Offline Naitsabes

• Never slid
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »
the only thing better than a hired brush is an indentured one...or a whole village of them. You should look into that.

A few close-ups of some of the converted front ranks wouldn't go amiss. I think I see much greatness there but it is hard to make out.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 6Feb2021 - Handgunners, building and more

Offline King

• Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2016, 07:44:58 PM »
the only thing better than a hired brush is an indentured one...or a whole village of them. You should look into that.

A few close-ups of some of the converted front ranks wouldn't go amiss. I think I see much greatness there but it is hard to make out.

Yes I second that too  :happy:
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Drakenhof

« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »
Hi mates,

Thanks again for your support!

Where do you find so much OOP models ?  :-D

Thank you for sharing your projetc, simply awesome. I shared it on french forum too and you make you some publicity.  :happy:

Well, I've been collecting the army for years  :lol: Many, many sources for OOP models: Evil-bay, forums, facebook groups, "second hand" websites or handy applications for trade (in Spain, I don't know how it's in english but you understand the sense hehe)

and thanks for sharing it! :::cheers:::

Quote from: Naitsabes & King

Of course, here you have a few pics of the infantry command groups. There are some meteal ones, a 4th ed. Captain with Halberd, two Mordheim's Reiklanders, and a joker from Scibor's Town Guard. The rest are from GW sprues, with a few bretonnian parts indeed.

And here you have the regiment I assembled last week and airbrushed yesterday: the Mighty Reiksguard on foot!  :ph34r:
Or the Reikland Guard, as we will name the unit for this battle, according the background (more explain on blog).

I did some conversions, just minor changes (heads or weapons) to excellent miniatures. Still undecided about the scheme; of course Reikland's white on clothes, but if you have any idea please share it!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:09:16 PM by Drakenhof »

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
Love the minis and subtle converstions that you've done, but holy hell - that army has to weigh a ton. :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2016, 11:54:10 AM »
Looks like my secret Empire army to paint when I retire...  :lol:

Can't wait to see these actually painted. Real old-timer eye candy.  :::cheers:::

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
More updates. This is the Kislev army I've been working on lasts weeks.
Some users of this forum inspired me to convert some of this models. Thank you.
Still remains 3 units of streltsi (kislevite handgunnrers). I will work on them next moth.

The Sons of Ursa (demigriffons)

My favourite: Kreml's Guard

If you are interested, there are some more pics on our blog, and a brief explanation of each unit.
Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:51:22 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Elder Days

« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2016, 10:54:39 PM »
It might have already been mentioned but have you seen the range of medieval Rus that Fireforge Games is coming out with?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2016, 11:33:18 PM »
The kreml guard are interesting. They still look a little elfish, but the heads look great on them and a good paintjob will put all worries aside.

You dont have any horse archers though!?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2016, 06:26:58 AM »
Heaps and heaps of respect !

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2016, 10:27:41 AM »
It's one of the best looking Kislev armies that I've ever seen. :Ohmy:

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »
Thanks guys!

It might have already been mentioned but have you seen the range of medieval Rus that Fireforge Games is coming out with?

No, I have not! In fact, I didn't kown anything about them until now... Let me se... Hmmmm, they have some intereseting cavalry models (specially mongols). Well, now it's too late, because I don't plan to buy more models for Kislev, but they could be considered in the future. Thanks Elder.

The kreml guard are interesting. They still look a little elfish, but the heads look great on them and a good paintjob will put all worries aside.

You dont have any horse archers though!?

Exactly, the Kreml's Guard will loose (I hope), all they elfish style with the paintjob.
And no, saddly I couldn't achieve the ungol cavalry... maybe some day the GW project to reanimate some older models give me a surprise, but meanwhile, for the game, Drakenhof have 2 units of 10 models (as you can see some posts ago). So, we are well served!

Offline Drakenhof

Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project \ 11.03.16 painted Halflings archers
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
Hi generals,

Here we have more painted minis that I finished last weekend. Yes, they are 20 mighty hafling archers! I started them a few months ago but due other projects I left them on the workbench. They will reinforce the Stirland contingent on the battle to come.

I used to play halfling in my Dogs of War army in 8th edition (even a couple of tournaments in the area) and they always performed well with their BS 4 and L 8. I really hope that 9th Age project incorporates this faction in a near future.

This weekend I'll advance on Reiksguards and prime a new unit which I'm assembling right now, pics to come. Cheers!

Offline RE.Lee

• Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2016, 07:16:29 PM »
Loving the blog - so many great miniatures! Great to see the Reiksguard Foot troops, those were always a sight to behold on the battlefield. The Witchhunter formation is also impressive!  :::cheers:::
cheers,
Lee

Offline Lateksimajava

« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
This is an insane project!  :ph34r: Looking forward to see more stuff painted. It is always nice to see halflings well painted.

The Suneater conversion is very cool. Good use of the new AoS (not so great) plastic model.

By the way I would consider swapping the Kremlin guard halberds to plastic Empire halberds. Would make the unit look less elfish. They do look pretty good though. Good job with the head swaps!

Offline Xathrodox86

• He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »
Loving those Halflings. Great minis and great paintjob. :)

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
By the way I would consider swapping the Kremlin guard halberds to plastic Empire halberds. Would make the unit look less elfish. They do look pretty good though. Good job with the head swaps!

Hmmm... that's a nice idea... I will consider this  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Illumini

« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »
Canīt wait to see that awesome Kislev army painted. You got some impressive OOP model scrounging skills  :biggriin:
Why no winged lancers though?
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline scrubber

« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2016, 01:58:25 PM »
Hi Illumini. I spy with my little eye a large unit of 15 rear right of photograph.

Just read this again from beginning, never get bored of this. Sort of daft thing I would get dragged into. Loving the Chaos champion, want to see some of his command now.
How's the painting and decorating of Kislev going ?