home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 203340 times)

Offline Illumini

• Members
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
Those are Gryphon Legion. Sure, they are winged, they are lancers, but they are not winged lancers  :-P
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2016, 08:03:29 PM »
You guys are crazy
The good kind of crazy
I scrolled through this thread with my mouth open... such delicious eyecandy!
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2016, 11:15:41 PM »
Those are Gryphon Legion. Sure, they are winged, they are lancers, but they are not winged lancers  :-P

You are right Illumini. These are Gryphon Legion.
Well, as all of you know, kislev models are out of production, and these is the main reason that explains there is no winged lancers nor ungols in my army. But some posts ago, Drakenhof published some pictures with his kislev regiments. He have both units, and his army, and mine, will play together in the game.

Hi Illumini. I spy with my little eye a large unit of 15 rear right of photograph.

Just read this again from beginning, never get bored of this. Sort of daft thing I would get dragged into. Loving the Chaos champion, want to see some of his command now.
How's the painting and decorating of Kislev going ?

Very soon, my friend. This week I just started working on the gameboard. We don't update this post and our blog everyday, but I can assure you we work on it every single day!

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »
to say Gryphon legion are not winged lancers is akin to saying Reiksguard are not knights.  steveb

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2016, 08:48:16 PM »
Yeah, aren't the Gyphon Legion the inner circle of the winged lancers, basically?
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Elder Days

• Members
« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2016, 10:25:28 PM »
There are places that sell lancer wing conversion bits.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2016, 11:03:05 PM »
Yeah, aren't the Gyphon Legion the inner circle of the winged lancers, basically?

In game terms basically yes, fluff wise a bit more complex.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2016, 12:49:59 AM »
There are places that sell lancer wing conversion bits.

There are. Until recently, i had the browser window of my phone constantly on it, to prompt me to buy.
Not yet however (i closed the window a week ago)
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2016, 04:16:25 PM »
See the difference now. Gryphon Legion have covered face on the model, where as winged lancers do not. Learn something new each day.
Wonder if these figures will every make GW made to order. Not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:03:05 PM by scrubber »

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #159 on: November 07, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
See the difference now.

In fact, there was quite difficult to me (an ancient elfish player) to see the difference between them!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2016, 01:09:06 AM »
Gryphon legion have bearskins too, winged lancers do not.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2016, 06:25:02 PM »
Some of you ask me, for the making of the city of Kislev.
Here we go!

Although it carries much more work, we finally decided to build our board on a modular structure. The main objection the time it requires, but the advantages are many: greater convenience in transportation, at work, in storage, and the result is a lighter and more resilient board.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:28:03 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #162 on: November 09, 2016, 07:15:24 PM »
Love that gate! I also know how expensive it is  :ph34r:
cheers,
Lee

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2016, 12:02:03 PM »
See the difference now. Gryphon Legion have covered face on the model, where as winged lancers do not. Learn something new each day.
Wonder if these figures will every make GW made to order. Not holding my breath.

Not quite true - Winged Lancers had 2 Troopers - one with a mask.
They did have a cloak which was 'convertible' to fur with very little effort with greenstuff.

Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2016, 02:58:15 PM »
So due to this conversation, i have decided i want to downsize my kislev collection. I went through it tonight, and have culled a little. I will take photos over the weekend. Mainly kislev infantry (kossars and mordhiem) as well as some reaper bears and 7 old style 40k rough riders with the big furry hats.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2016, 03:10:27 PM »
So due to this conversation, i have decided i want to downsize my kislev collection ...............

Have you still got my address ...................  :engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »
What is the difference between Kislev Lancers and Gryphon Legion. Did GW make 2 types of model, or is it like the plastic Empire Knights, that you paint and name them as you want  :icon_question:

That's going to be one large table to hold 40,000 points of models.

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
There are different models:
Gryphon legion have skull facemask and bearskin. They also have a slightly more fancy wing decor.
Winged lancers have plain facemask and leopard skin.

The Gryphon legion command group is also quite a bit more fancy than the winged lancers commanders

Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
Also the Winged Lancers as shown above were separate legs and torsos - the Gryphon Legion had a one-piece body.

If you wanted a unit of 'Lancer' Knights you could put the Winged Lancer bodies on armoured legs and barded horses.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2016, 01:17:09 AM »
I do prefer the winged lancer drummer over the gryphon legion trumpeter.

So due to this conversation, i have decided i want to downsize my kislev collection ...............

Have you still got my address ...................  :engel:

You are not wrong - i do owe you some stuff... i probably do still have it actually.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2016, 04:44:19 AM »
I think the biggest difference was that the
kislev winged lancers were for kislev armies and allied forces units, the legion was addressed as a dow mercenary unit that traveled all over.  of course the figures were slightly different but I have always seen them mixed in with the regular lancers with no problem.  steveb

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2016, 08:58:23 AM »

You are not wrong - i do owe you some stuff... i probably do still have it actually.

I was joking .............. and I think it is probably the other way round, as for some reason I had an envelope, with your name and address on it, on my desk for years.

I think the biggest difference was that the kislev winged lancers were for kislev armies and allied forces units, the legion was addressed as a dow mercenary unit that traveled all over.  of course the figures were slightly different but I have always seen them mixed in with the regular lancers with no problem.  steveb

Good point - and you could also apply the 'Inner Circle' concept to the two units if it suited your fluff.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2016, 10:16:48 AM »
Wow, what a project that just keeps going and getting better, congrats! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

I need to check and see whether my Kislev Lancers are Winged or Gryphon. :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
If we, therically experts on warhammer human armies, have problems to distiguish between these two units... imagine an orc or a chaos player...  :icon_lol:

Good news! I've been working hard on the table this week. But I will need more materials, wich will arrive next thursday, minimum. Meanwhile, I've decided to add some different levels on the city. If I can finish some details tonight, I will show you the results tomorrow; I'm sure you will like it.

That's going to be one large table to hold 40,000 points of models.

Actually, this is only one of the 6 standard tables that will hold the legions.

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2016, 10:56:23 PM »
Well, I take some pics tonight:

Tabletop World models are so awesome that it wasn't necessary to convert them. Although, on one hand we wanted to add a baluart in order to break the monotony of the wall; on the other hand, we had to include the ruined part of the wall where the chaotic hosts will penetrate the city.

This is the Town Gate model of TW, once "rippered". Don't panic, the trunk is there to add pressure on the glue of the plasticard

Plasticard cobblestones:

South (left) part of the city:

North (right) part of the city