home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 130520 times)

Offline Zak

• Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2016, 11:12:26 PM »
oh man this is going to be cool
This is how Liberty dies, by the sound of thundering applause.

Offline Illumini

« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
Amazing start!

One of you has a big hobby room / a nice wife  :biggriin:
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2016, 10:30:41 PM »
Amazing start!

One of you has a big hobby room / a nice wife  :biggriin:

Both! a garage and an awesome wife!  :icon_biggrin:

Offline scrubber

« Reply #178 on: November 12, 2016, 11:39:36 PM »
WOW That's brave taking a blade to a model that expensive. I take my hat off to you Sir.

Offline Yodhrin

« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2016, 12:47:26 AM »
Bloody Nora, you could buy a car for that table :P

It's already looking stunning - can I ask, where did you get the big blank sheets of stone texture you've used on the interior facing of the custom wall section, on the left there next to the tower?

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »
WOW That's brave taking a blade to a model that expensive. I take my hat off to you Sir.

Not easier the first time, I promise!

It's already looking stunning - can I ask, where did you get the big blank sheets of stone texture you've used on the interior facing of the custom wall section, on the left there next to the tower?

Yes, you can. Is simply the Town Square also from Tabletop World. As far as I can, I will not mix this scenery models with models from other brands; I don't like eclecticism on this matters. So, I'm trying to fill the table (the outwall tables as well) only with TW range of models.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2016, 01:41:17 AM »
This is beautiful, stunning work. Did TW-Warhammer factor in at all for the look of the city behind the walls? Just curious...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2016, 08:30:42 PM »
Drool

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »
This is beautiful, stunning work. Did TW-Warhammer factor in at all for the look of the city behind the walls? Just curious...

Not sure what do you mean... If the rest of the table will contain Tabletop World buildings? Then the answer is yes. We want to make a landscape fully integrated, harmonious. So, all the buildigns will be, only, from TW. That includes the Watch Tower, the Mill, the Cottage, the Bridge... and we are waiting for the upcoming Water mill. Too much scenery? Not for a 7m (23ft) long table!  :icon_lol:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:54:48 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Europe, Finland
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2016, 11:57:44 PM »
The absolute beauty of complete madness!

(The dimensions of that map)

Hope to get there one day.  :::cheers:::

-Z
Forget the 6'x4' game, focus on the story beyond that. Because fantasy matters.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2016, 03:12:13 AM »
I love your planned map. Are there going to be some 'locked in combat' units you will do together?

What i meant, was warhammer:total war. The sieges in that have the city you battle through look similar to the spacings and groupings you have started to build.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Lateksimajava

« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2016, 08:51:29 AM »
Uuh! This is awesome. And it's becoming even more awesome! Looking forward to see more!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »
Thank you for your support guys. I really appreciate that!

I love your planned map. Are there going to be some 'locked in combat' units you will do together?

What i meant, was warhammer:total war. The sieges in that have the city you battle through look similar to the spacings and groupings you have started to build.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: TW=Total War!
Then the answer is also afirmative. I've beencollecting hundres of pictures about warhammer castles, fortresses and cities, from simple illustration to real scenery. And exactly, The images from the sieges on Total War are between them. The width of the walls in Total War is too much, in my opinion. But in contrast the width of the wall street (the street inmediately behind the walls) is more interesting. Allow us to move correctly our units (including hordes formation) and also keep a real proportion.

For those who don't know what we are talking about:

And, answering your first question. I'm currently thinting about this. Surely there will be not a mini fighting diorama, but maybe some details here and there, for example, with this model:

I simply love it...

Offline Naitsabes

• Never slid
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2016, 05:17:29 PM »
wow, the dream is becoming a reality at a steady pace!

the city will look awesome. Now I realize the following is hard for you to understand while in the thick of it but, hear me out.  :wink:
There will be a time when your battle for Kislev has been fought and becomes a glorious part of wargaming history. The miniatures can march on of course. but, this table, in particular the city part, is it going to be modular? Would you e.g. be able to assemble the wall in some other configuration? Is this something you put thought into?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 6Feb2021 - Handgunners, building and more

Offline GamesPoet

• Global Moderator
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »
Those buildings are looking wonderful as this project is coming together!
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »
wow, the dream is becoming a reality at a steady pace!

the city will look awesome. Now I realize the following is hard for you to understand while in the thick of it but, hear me out.  :wink:
There will be a time when your battle for Kislev has been fought and becomes a glorious part of wargaming history. The miniatures can march on of course. but, this table, in particular the city part, is it going to be modular? Would you e.g. be able to assemble the wall in some other configuration? Is this something you put thought into?

Dear Naitsabes, of course I did...  :icon_wink:

First of all, our purpose is to achieve the first part of your question: make this battle as epic as it could be. And share it as far as we could with the gaming community (on these matters, we are currently working on). If this goal is accomplished, the rest doesn't matter.
BUT, I am not a silly man (or at least, that's what my wife says...). As I have mentioned in other occasions, this is not a personal project, but a collective one (not a soviet, though). We are a group of 7 freak guys working on it, and the buildings belongs to all of us, not just me. The truth is I bought 33% of models for me, but the other 67% belongs to the rest of the group. And so, the buildings will not be fixed on the table (except for the bastion), in order to play in other games/tables with them. And the table is also modular to make it easier both to transport and to save it correctly. Furthermore, we like siege battles, so, I'm sure we will use these walls/buildings in other occasions. And even another reason: Pep (Drakenhof) organize a warhammer tournament each 2 years, so, at least half of the tables will be used for it.

So, enjoy the project as I am sure you do, and don't worry for the day-after!

Offline Illumini

« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
Live streaming the battle?  :::cheers:::

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »
In fact, we thought in that possibility... but two-days-game maybe it's too much. Also, we'd depend on the internet connexion of the place where we'll play.
Meanwhile, today we have recorded a pair of videos about the game and about the background. As soon as I can put the english sutitles on it, I will link you from youtube.

Offline Illumini

« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »
Might be a bit too slow moving for live streaming, yes  :-D

Certainly expecting hundreds of images and pages on pages of written battlereports though  :biggriin:

Offline scrubber

« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2016, 11:27:32 PM »
Seem to be having problems seeing the complete picture on your blog site. They are long and narrow [no height to them] when I click on.

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »
Really? can you tell me on what post have you problems? I watch them correctly

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
Finally, we have finished the first video about the game.
This is a background intoduction onto the battle.
We speak in spanish but there are subtitles in english.

Hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXSIeD33YEQ&t=175s

Offline Doc J

• The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2016, 01:10:41 PM »
That city is going to be absolutely gorgeous when you're finished I look forward to seeing it  :icon_wink:
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Rogers Kul

« Reply #198 on: November 27, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
Some new pics about Kislev.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
« Reply #199 on: November 27, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »
Awesome !

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.