home

Author Topic: The Gates of Kislev painting project (battle report)  (Read 204001 times)

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
Re: The Gates of Kislev painting project
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2016, 09:06:24 AM »
Stunning!  :ph34r:
cheers,
Lee

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2016, 11:11:38 AM »
That's really impressive!
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »
Looking wonderful, and not surprising. :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline takenoko

• Members
  • Altdorf will prevail!
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
This project is Amazing! So much epicness!  ::heretic:: ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #204 on: December 07, 2016, 08:51:41 AM »
Thanks guys!

now, a short video avout the scenery of Kislev (in spanish, english sub.)
All comments will be welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-D_JPdaflA​

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2016, 11:29:58 PM »
Hi Rogers. Hope this works, many of the pictures I look at appear to be clipped. eg.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-H8m_CrlZCBo/WA5CUjYWsoI/AAAAAAAAEK4/kt7mr0Klwbw76GfmjoJemvsN2yh2PpbzQCLcB/s640/DSC_1934_retall.jpg

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
Ah! all right, now I know what you're refering for.
It's not a problem... some people call it "graphic design"  :icon_lol:
At the beginning of each post there is a cut pic as a taste for what is inside the complete post. You will find the complete pics if you click on " read more". Following the same example: http://thegatesofkislev.blogspot.com.es/2016/10/mas-tropas-para-kislev-more-troops-for.html#more

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
Now I understand, and have learnt to Spanish words. You have some great stuff hidden there. What are the flying Kroot going to be, also behind them to the right [looking at] there is a chaos lord on big beastie, can we have a closer look at him. pleasssse  :-D

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
Nice video! Very informative. Apart from the sheer size of this project I love all the extra ideas in it, from converting the Tabletop World buildings for variety, to the springy sign, and especially setting the width of the streets to unit sizes. Making the back alleys wide enough for 5 humans but not 5 chaos warriors is an interesting extra dimension to the battle.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
your 'king of all media' outreach is quite impressive. I mean, ideally you'd bring out all your material in the language that the vast majority of people with disposable income speak. but, I suppose I am just selfish and want to read that 'dossier de batalla con toda la información acerca de ese conflicto' in a version not mutilated by a google translation to English.

The part I don't understand is why you would switch to 9th Age. They come out with new rules every 5 minutes, how are you going to keep up when your project is this scale?
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2017, 09:58:28 PM »
Now I understand, and have learnt to Spanish words. You have some great stuff hidden there. What are the flying Kroot going to be, also behind them to the right [looking at] there is a chaos lord on big beastie, can we have a closer look at him. pleasssse  :-D

The winged kroots are furies.

About the chaos lord... I suppose you're talking about him:

I'm working on it. This is the chaos emperor dragon, but there is still a lot work to do!

Nice video! Very informative. Apart from the sheer size of this project I love all the extra ideas in it, from converting the Tabletop World buildings for variety, to the springy sign, and especially setting the width of the streets to unit sizes. Making the back alleys wide enough for 5 humans but not 5 chaos warriors is an interesting extra dimension to the battle.

I like you take the idea  :icon_wink:. I didn't want simply a nice scenery but one with strategic inputs.
Soon I'll record another with the hole city.
This is where I'm currently working on:

your 'king of all media' outreach is quite impressive. I mean, ideally you'd bring out all your material in the language that the vast majority of people with disposable income speak. but, I suppose I am just selfish and want to read that 'dossier de batalla con toda la información acerca de ese conflicto' in a version not mutilated by a google translation to English.

The part I don't understand is why you would switch to 9th Age. They come out with new rules every 5 minutes, how are you going to keep up when your project is this scale?

Well, I spend many hours per week on that project: painting, modelling, searching and buying models, searching inspiration idea on the net, writing in the blog and making videos. What includes translating all that information in a foreign language. Sometimes this is an exhausting task.
But, here we are. Standing! I hope some day I could translate the enterely Dossier.

About 9th Age... I must admit, I'm a little tired of their continuous changes. Every update is far from 8th edition and now they are changing even the background. In Spain 9th Age is what the people are playing now the most. 8th edition is almost extinguished here. So, the initial plan was to play the game using 9th Age rules, but when the mist dispel and we have everything ready... who knows...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:00:52 PM by Rogers Kul »

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
It's the first time that I've seen a good conversion of this shitty Archaon kit from AoS. Well done! :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
hahaha... well, thank you Xathrodox!  :icon_biggrin:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »
No need to thank me. ;) You even managed to make those necks not look like dongs, like in the original model. :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »
I'll try to make these necks monsterly beauty! hehehe

Well, and finally, THE CHARACTER! Magnus the Pious!!

Firstly, I have to say it was particularly difficult to find the bits and models for this conversion. Indeed, difficult to choose and difficut to find! I was sure that this model must be as close as posible to the both illustrtion below, the only ones we have find about Magnus. Thus, would be easy to recognize by those who knows about warhammer history (or Empire background, at least!)

He had to be mounted on an imperial warhorse, as the background says, and as he appears in the first picture. So, instead of focusing on the character, the first thing I looked for was a proper mount. Discarded the Bretonian steeds, those from vampire counts or Chaos warriors for being too different from the rest of the army horses, I focused on the The Empire range of models. There were several possibilities. That horses who pull the huracanum/luminarch are a very good update of the models of imperial horse (note that this model is about 20 years old...), although I was searching for something special, more spectacular. There are several characters with good mounts: Valten, the general/standard bearer plastic kit, and other horses whose only difference is the head. But there are three characters that clearly stand out in this aspect: Ludwig Schwarzhelm, Marius Leitdorf and Kurt Helborg.

Undoubtedly, the models of Schwarzhelm, Leitdorf and Helborg are among the best minis that the imperial collection has ever had. And yet... they are OUT OF PRODUCTION. As I was determined to use these mounts for other characters, in addition to Magnus, I wanted to achieve them all and once in hand, decide which mount was going to belong to each character. It cost me 11 months, but finally I have all three, thanks to the secondhand markets on Facebook and Wallapop.

I finally decided to use Kurt Helborg's mount for Magnus's conversion. And in fact, most of his body. The second point to deal with was the type of weapon that Magnus carried on the battle. The background indicates nothing about it and the spear of the illustration above seems only scenic. In the same illustration he also carries a sword, but we know that the Rune Fangs belonged only to the Elector Counts and they were all there, using them in the battle. So there was only one obvious choice: Ghal Maraz itself. As Valten did on The Chaos Storm / End Times, Ghal Maraz would be wielded by Sigmar's chosen one.
So I replaced his original Rune Fang by the Ghal Maraz from Karl Franz plastic kit.

And now we reach the third and most important factor: his head. Undoubtedly this is the focal element of the model and its main characteristic feature. His head must accomplish four conditions: bald head with tail, no beard or mustache, mature and serious appearance and to wear a monocle. I spent days thinking about it and checking dozens (or hundreds) of imperial heads from the bits box: from the steam tank engineer (who carries a monocle) to the greatswords or warrior priests shaved heads. And in the end I find one that, although it had to be worked, could give a nice base. It is this:

It belongs to the White Wolf extras from the Empire knights plastic kit. It's a shaved head with a hair tail; I just had to take off his beard and add the details with green stuff. So after shaving him, I cut the original Kurt's head (it hurt me more than him) and I stuck this one in its place.

After marking the scars with the cutter (modellism knife, is that its name in english?), the first thing I modeled was the monocle. I took a small piece of green stuff, and stuck it on his eye with a small drop of superglue. Yes, this is my secret. If ever a piece has not enough support, I put green stuff and super glue. I do not pin; I create cement. The trick is to let the piece harden on the superglue, so that it is totally attached to the model. Once solid, I sculp fine details with cutter. In this case I could leave the surface of the monocle completely smooth and round using cutter. On the other hand, the monocular thread is a piece of fishing thread.

Next step was to model the cape. In this case I used a needle (like Arya Stark) to create the fur.

I sculpted some more details and put a sheathed sword on his side. The original model has an empty sheath, since Kurt is wielding the sword, so I had to put a sheath with the sword sheathed.

Finally I decided to sculpt a more populated eyebrows, as in the illustrations, and that was the end point. Now, just painting work rermains!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2017, 01:54:54 AM »
Sweet Jesus is all I have to say....this is going to be a winner.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2017, 04:11:04 AM »
Very nice. I love the monocle!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
Sweet Jesus is all I have to say....this is going to be a winner.

Damn! I agree. This is incredible work and he really looks like he just jumped from the artworks.

Gneisenau

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »
Thats one brilliant conversion - not an easy thing, cutting off heads of metal models. Waiting impatiently to see him painted.  :::cheers:::
cheers,
Lee

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2017, 12:24:12 PM »
Excellent. :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Bartolo Miachevelia

• Members
« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2017, 04:47:27 PM »
Awesome! :happy:
I'm curious to see Asavar Kul now!

Offline McKharu

• Members
« Reply #221 on: January 10, 2017, 10:06:11 PM »
Great conversion! The face stance is great, and the monocle is even better! Congrats, the sacrifice of Kurt was worthy!

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2017, 04:58:56 AM »
Nice conversion, really like it.

The monocle is kind of weird, so impractical on a horse...I suppose that's why we love warhammer. Where is the second Magnus picture from? I guess he needs to wear the monocle to keep the bulging eye in or else people would realize that his left eye has been touched by the Dark Gods.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »
Nice conversion, really like it.

The monocle is kind of weird, so impractical on a horse...I suppose that's why we love warhammer. Where is the second Magnus picture from? I guess he needs to wear the monocle to keep the bulging eye in or else people would realize that his left eye has been touched by the Dark Gods.

I think it's from one of the Black Library Sourcebooks, the one about Empire's armies.

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »
Thank you all for comments; are really wellcome.

Cannot remember where this second picture comes from. Maybe from warhammer role books? Too much books to remember the source...

Today I've recorded a new vieo about he whole table of Kislev. I'll try to upload tonight.